Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broke key in a lock

Options
  • 05-11-2006 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

While trying to lock a door i broke the key in the lock.Does anyone no how i can get it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

try getting a razor blade and try to catch the bit of the key sticking out of the hole.

it's not the safest and probably not the best way to get it out but it worked for me once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If thedoor is already opten you should be able to disasemble the lock and remove the broken key or at least the barrel and replace just that part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Happened to me before. I ended up replacing the barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Risky one and a chance of it going wrong, but depending on how "clean" the break is and if enough of the broken part is showing, getting the stub of the key, applying a SMALL bead of superglue to each surface, allowing to bond and pulling it out should work.

If it does, you just get a new key cut to replace the broken one...if not it's new lock/key time...

• Advertisement
Advertisement