Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sadest song of all time?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Pighead wrote:
    Written after his Mrs left him for that spanner Richard Ashcroft.
    Richard Ashcroft was great for the old sad songs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bojangles

The Ham Sandwich song "Sad Songs" always does it for me. Very sad (sniff).
    www.myspace.com/eathamsandwich

Very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MarshalBoy

Pighead, I almost agree with you - great song - better than all the Goth nonsense and newly trendy Man in Black favourites being thrown around.

I am putting my money on Martha by Tom Waits though. Just a piano and his husky slightly out of tune voice. It tells the story of unrequited love between two old timers who never managed to get it on and both went off and started their own families. Tom picks up the phone to the lady in question thirty years later and the sense of longing and regret in his voice gets me every time.

Cant find it on youtube but well worth getting your hands on - the album Closing Time which it is taken from is pretty fine as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Beethoven had an album called "Has Been"??? with lyrics? wtf?

T.Sc.
    Oops, i meant william shatner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Charles Mingus.

Lovely tune, Lester would be proud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Pighead wrote:
    Actually tis about Ray Davies mother, Kirstys mam is alive alive oh.
    right sorry assumed she wrote it, d'oh, was it a single or an album track for the kinks

cormie wrote:
    This one is quite sad, this is a lip sync to the original song and the video takes away from the song so please don't watch the video and just listen to the song to get the proper effect.
    Incredible song. I listened to that album, Songs of Leonard Cohen, earlier, and it's quite impressive. Apart from Suzanne and The Future I'd never really payed much attention to his work before.

Speaking of Leonard Cohen, has anyone here seen the film about him, I'm Your Man? I don't wanna make the same mistake as I did with that Neil Young film by paying €9 into the Screen only to walk out after half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

The 4 of Us - Voice on The Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Is that a piss take?

2 great ones mentioned above also get my stamp of approval:

Delicate: Damien Rice
    Who wants to live forever: Queen

T.Sc.
    Lol, of course they're only meant for pokypoky as I know how much he loves his divas. I do like her French though. It would have been worth seeing her Vegas show just for Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

anyway one that always hits me is "Days" by kirsty MacColl

Same here, 'tis also one of the few songs where the cover outshines the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Yeah, Johnny Cash's "Hurt". Even my kids feel sad when that's played.

And also "Who wants to live forever?" Queen. Esp if you've seen Highlander.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Pearl Jam - Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

p~b wrote:
    its cats in the cradle by ugly joe kid

or

tears in heaven by eric clapton

Two excellent choices, especially Cats in the Cradle - Whatever it is about that song it just makes me (more) depressed (than usual).

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

MarshalBoy wrote:
    Pighead, I almost agree with you - great song - better than all the Goth nonsense and newly trendy Man in Black favourites being thrown around.

I am putting my money on Martha by Tom Waits though. Just a piano and his husky slightly out of tune voice. It tells the story of unrequited love between two old timers who never managed to get it on and both went off and started their own families. Tom picks up the phone to the lady in question thirty years later and the sense of longing and regret in his voice gets me every time.

Cant find it on youtube but well worth getting your hands on - the album Closing Time which it is taken from is pretty fine as well.

Aye good choice MarshalBoy, Tom has a way with a sad song alright. From the same album I Hope that I Don't Fall In Love With You is another weepie. Ya gotta feel for poor Tom in the final verse.

Now it's closing time, the music's fading out
    Last call for drinks, I'll have another stout.
    Well I turn around to look at you, you're nowhere to be found,
    I search the place for your lost face, guess I'll have another round
    And I think that I just fell in love with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

New Model Army - Green and the Grey
    For those not in the know check it out.
    Most passionate, moving song I've ever heard, the live version on Raw Melody Men is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Agree entirely, Pighead. That song and Kentucky Avenue are Tom's two finest moments from the "Bawlers" category for me.

I think Johnny Cash's version of If You Could Read My Mind is even more heartbreaking than Hurt, good and all as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Rantorama wrote:
    Same here, 'tis also one of the few songs where the cover outshines the original.
    Luke Kelly does a pretty decent version too.

For me:
    Palace Brothers (Will Oldham) - You will miss me when I burn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the heart

Terry Bush - Maybe Tomorrow (Littlest Hobo Theme)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Taters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NeiloMac

Hurt By Johnny Cash is very good, leaves you thinking,

Another less known one is by a guy called Don Mescall, I went to see him last week in the CobbleStone, Very good, but this one song call "your still the only one", is so said, its written from him mothers point of view, His dad died when he was very young, and its about her growing old on her own, but never forgetting him
    This song can melt even the hardest stone hearts

You can listen to it on his Myspace, http://www.myspace.com/donmescall

Have a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

For me it's THIS ...

or Johnny Cash Help Me and at least half of his Album 'A Hundred Highways'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Pearl Jam - Black
    Classic:)

Songs that make me emotional
    Garth Brooks - Belleau Wood
    Baz Lurhmann - Sunscreen song - especially the bits about family
    Manic Street Preachers - 4st 7
    Eminem -Stan
    Beatles -In my Life
    Luke Kelly -Raglan Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I love sad songs!And the obvious ones like Johnny Cash's version of Hurt, and Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah stick out. I had time on me yesterday and wrote a list http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59755&page=4 - just got into it!!!

For me, Mad World by Gary Jules is amazing. Also love Who Wants to Live forever by Queen and Too Much Love Will Kill You by Queen. Also, recent songs such as Where'd You Go by Fort Minor. The Scientist by Coldplay, most stuff by Damien Rice (Delicate/The Blowers Daughter standing out), for some reason Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits...

Also, I find I prefer Johnny Cash versions of songs. For example, In My Life, I Hung My Head, Hurt, One etc.

Speaking of U2 songs; One, With or Without You, Staring at the Sun...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Jane Siberry-Calling All Angels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I love sad songs!And the obvious ones like Johnny Cash's version of Hurt, and Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah stick out. I had time on me yesterday and wrote a list http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59755&page=4 - just got into it!!!

For me, Mad World by Gary Jules is amazing. Also love Who Wants to Live forever by Queen and Too Much Love Will Kill You by Queen. Also, recent songs such as Where'd You Go by Fort Minor. The Scientist by Coldplay, most stuff by Damien Rice (Delicate/The Blowers Daughter standing out), for some reason Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits...

Also, I find I prefer Johnny Cash versions of songs. For example, In My Life, I Hung My Head, Hurt, One etc.

Speaking of U2 songs; One, With or Without You, Staring at the Sun...
    I left out everything you said they are all great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

gustavo wrote:
    Manic Street Preachers - 4st 7

Manics. Hmm.
    Yes, Roses in the Hospital (Actually the whole Gold Against the Soul album),
    Motorcycle Emptiness, Let Robeson Sing....Thats only a few!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Does anyone know the song 'Hey There Delilah' by Plain White Ts? Beautiful song, kinda sad.

Also, These Are The Days of Our Lives, Mother Love and My Life Has Been Saved (considering the circumstances when Freddie Mercury was recording it) by Queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Pearl Jam - Black

that one does hit the spot alright

foo fighters - everlong acoustic is one that gets to me as well

tears in heaven by eric clapton has to be up there as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement