Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boost Gauge

Options
  • 05-11-2006 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Bit of a problem, just ordered a boost gauge for my LCR, but the gauge needs an electrical feed, thats fine, i have to plum it in behind the light switches, but i need these little connectors (scotch locks they're called), they are the same as those little guys on the back of aftermarket car radios if u have ever fiited them, they plug into electrical feed housings in cars. I hope ye guys know what im on about! So anyone know where i can buy some, just checked ebay with out any luck, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

most motor factors do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

noellyk wrote:
    Bit of a problem, just ordered a boost gauge for my LCR, but the gauge needs an electrical feed, thats fine, i have to plum it in behind the light switches, but i need these little connectors (scotch locks they're called), they are the same as those little guys on the back of aftermarket car radios if u have ever fiited them, they plug into electrical feed housings in cars. I hope ye guys know what im on about! So anyone know where i can buy some, just checked ebay with out any luck, cheers.

Don't use those silly things! They must be the most useless and ugly looking type of connector ever invented.

The best way to join wires is to strip off the insulation and splice the new wire on with a spot of solder. Then tape it using insulation tape (or shrink tubing if you need something more heavy duty.

If you really want to get them, any motor factors will do.

what does ugly looking have to do with how good they are, maidhc?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:

Well they aren't good to start with! I have never fitted one to a machine that I didn't have to take out after a year or two. They corrode, don't join the wires very well and don't hold the wires very firmly.

By ugly I mean they are big awkward things that make your wiring look like it was mangled by someone.

Ugh. I have major scotch lock issues.

maidhc wrote:
    Ugh. I have major scotch lock issues.

I've had to replace them too! thwey should be covered with insulation tape too. helps prevent corrosion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just had the joy of having to remove them from my tail lights. The previous owner hacked in new tail lights (Hella ones) without the needed wiring.
    All back to normal now, but those blue connectors are way better if yea wanna remove them when you wanna sell the car, just a bit of electrical tape over the little cut and your done. The fear when someone strips the wire is that they break the wire or remove way too much insulation off the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

On which subject, is there any more useless instrument in a car than a boost gauge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I picked some scotch lock's in halfords, I tried using some of them but was not happy with the connection they made. I ended up cutting away some of the insulation and soldering on the new wires, far better and safer job :)

Your welcome to have a few if you want, I wont be using them again.

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 noellyk

Anan1 wrote:
    On which subject, is there any more useless instrument in a car than a boost gauge?

Useless???? I have 1.8t and recently replaced a faulty Diverter valve, the dang thing was leaking boost for quite a while and i didnt know what was up or where the problem was. I think a boost gauge is an excellent instrutment for monitoring your cars boost levels, especially considering there are so many hoses that can perish over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

colm_mcm wrote:

Scotch locks are ridiculous, and are an idiot's approach to wiring. They structurally weaken what's already thin core wire, and provide a point of failure.

The correct approach is to strip about 1-2cm of insulation, split the new wire into two separate cores, and wire-wrap a bell hangers joint (A T joint, with the new wires wrapped around and around the stripped insulation of the old wire - one core wrapped to the left, one core wrapped to the right), solder it all neatly, and then shrink wrap it. It takes all of 5 mins when you're used to doing it, and lasts indefinitely. Solder solder solder!

• Advertisement
Advertisement