Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid PRSI for Summer work?

Options
  • 05-11-2006 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Just got my P45 back for my summer work.

I worked a total of 8 weeks for a Health Board. I applied for Tax Credits so my PAYE was 0 as expected.

However I noticed that I paid in total of 292euro PRSI. Should I be paying PRSI for 8 weeks of summer work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Yes. Not totally up to date on the Irish system at the mo, but you pay PRSI after you reach a very low threshhold. Tax credits don't apply to PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

xebec wrote:
    Yes. Not totally up to date on the Irish system at the mo, but you pay PRSI after you reach a very low threshhold. Tax credits don't apply to PRSI.

Cheers for the info, I would have earned less than 3k euro in this 8 weeks. What exactly am I paying the PRSI for? What have I to benefit from paying 300euro :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

PRSI is used to assess whether you are entitled to Unemployment Benefit.
    It also goes towards the State contributory pension and free dental care once you get enough credits. It is also rumoured to be used to help pay for our Public Health system but not 100% on that. You can't get a rebate.

is_that_so wrote:
    You can't get a rebate.

So that's it? Gone?

Is there anywhere that I can find out exactly WHY a student working for the summer had to fork out nearly 300eur PRSI? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

JohnCleary wrote:
    So that's it? Gone?

Is there anywhere that I can find out exactly WHY a student working for the summer had to fork out nearly 300eur PRSI? :confused:

Once you earn over a certain amount you have to pay PRSI, the tax man doesnt care if you are workig for the summer, a Pole here to work for 6 months or whatever, once you earn over the threshold you got to pay it. 375 a week is well over the threshold see link below

http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw14.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mckers

Social security is divided into two elements; PRSI and the health levy. PRSI is paid once you earn more than €127 per week. It does not make any differene if you only worked for 8 weeks and you will not get any money back.

The health levy is charged when you earn somewhere over €400 euro per week. You would not have paid this.

mckers wrote:
    Social security is divided into two elements; PRSI and the health levy. PRSI is paid once you earn more than €127 per week. It does not make any differene if you only worked for 8 weeks and you will not get any money back.

The health levy is charged when you earn somewhere over €400 euro per week. You would not have paid this.

Thanks for the info!

Advertisement