Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Service Thread

Options
  • 05-11-2006 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

There's a lot of talk about places that give you bad service and people wanting advice on what to do if they've been treated badly, bought something at the wrong price or had a dispute.

In contrast to this there are a lot of places that have really good customer service, nice staff and are always willing to rectify a mistake on their part.

This may not be the right forum but I suppose somewhere you'll be treated right and within your consumer rights and beyond is a consumer issue.

First one, Road Records, Fade St, Dublin.

I placed an online order the other day for a few 7" singles but wasn't sure if they accepted Laser over the internet. I know a good few online Irish sites accept Laser so I thought I'd give it a go. If they didn't I could always click to stop the order if they only accepted CC. When I got to the payment screen there was only mention of CC or postal order/cheque.

Me, being an idiot, hit the postal order button instead of the cancel button...

I got a mail saying my records would be sent when they received my cheque/postal order.

I replied to the info address saying that I'd made a mistake and wanted to cancel my order and that I'd just call into the shop and buy some stuff a few days later.

Got a very friendly mail back from Dave in there about a minute after I'd sent the mail who said that that was no problem and some of the records I'd ordered were limited editions that they only had a couple of in stock so, if I wanted, he'd put them in a bag in the back and I could get them on my way through town next.

Got in there a few days later and they were all sitting in a bag behind the counter with my name on it, all the limited ones were there and they were sold out of a couple of them by the time I got there.

I know it's not the biggest gesture ever but it's a good demonstration of great customer service and treating your customers like someone you want to do business with!

Anyone else have any stories of good customer service and friendly staff/good prices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 moloneyg

Hi,

Basically a quick one,

i bought a few things in peats, well I am aways buying things in peats.

I bought a few hard disk enclosures, and found they did not fit in my pc, so I went back, and they refunded me.

I have always found that peats sales guys are friendly, helpful, and I've never had a complaint.

I use them when i am buying something at I need quickly.

So there is another good service story.

Gerry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Bizarre choice of post icon.

General roundup: I've had good service in dealing with issues from Computerbits, Alienware and DSL Warehouse (Alienware was pre-Dell, the others were some time ago). I've had good service from Amazon, but I don't deal with them any more because of their idiotic shipping policies. I've had both good and bad from Dell.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

dahamsta wrote:
    Bizarre choice of post icon.
    Is that not a thumbs-up?

Thought it was apt

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Peat's is really an example of how to run a good store. I bought a pretty serious stereo setup (compared to what I used to have) from Stephen there: CD Player, Multi-disk CD, Minidisc, Tuner and two sets of Speakers. Great service, they know their stuff inside out, and they'll give you as much time as you want to tweak stuff or try loads of different machines out.

My local Superquinn has a good few staff who do take service seriously. A very helpful girl from Poland sorted out a problem with one of the selfscan units for me this morning, great stuff.

Yeh Peats and Maplin are usually very good. Both have staff that know what they're talking about and more often than not are willing to walk around the store with you giving you info on things and tweaking your sale to what you need

• Advertisement

steveland? wrote:
    Is that not a thumbs-up?
    Thumbs-up generally have the thumb pointing... well, up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I bought a great deal of stuff from Peats and Marx Computers in the past few years, any issues like the odd motherboard I had to return to Peats were quickly resolved. Very friendly staff and excellent communication, I couldn't ask for more.

dahamsta wrote:
    Thumbs-up generally have the thumb pointing... well, up.
    Big yellow thumb pointing up on my screen...

Although I have noticed sometimes they seem to get mixed up between different skins. I'm on the Hallowe'en skin, maybe they're the wrong way round on that one...

Edit: For example I see a thumbs up on the Peats Limerick thread below this which quite blatantly should be a thumbs down...

I'm in the default skin, so that'd probably explain it.

I hope you didn't choose the Halloween skin? ;)

adam

Of course not....

¬_¬

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Reading the posts above it really makes me believe I'm the first girl to post here. Anyway the first part of my post is about really bad service from the Nine West store on Grafton Street. I had a horrible experience with an absolute wagon of a sales girl there this weekend but in direct contract have to sing the praises of the Nine West staff in the Shoe Studio in Brown Thomas. I met such a nice guy in there on Saturday who helped me out no end and between his good service and the horrible service from that biatch in the Grafton St. shop I will no longer be buying anything from them unless its in the Shoe Studio.

This thread is about good service kizzyr, see the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

dahamsta wrote:
    This thread is about good service kizzyr, see the title.
    I know that and I did post about the good service in the Shoe Studio. Maybe you were tired and didn't read all of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Cityjet that fly from Dublin to London City Airport are excellent. I've been upgraded with them to first class before, I've been given a free meal at the airport from them when my flight's been delayed and most recently when I missed my flight I've been rescheduled at no extra cost. Yes they're not a no-frills airline but recently I've been booking last minute alot and they've oftened worked out cheaper when you need to fly within a day or two of arranging the flights.

That's not to mention the fact that London City Airport is a dream to travel through compared to any other London airport.

I complain about Ryanair a lot but I don't sing the praises of Aer Lingus enough: I only travel with them once or twice a year but they're always polite and helpful, and I don't think I've ever had a problem with booking or customer service. It just works. Long may it continue, sans the ignorant competition.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

steveland? wrote:
    Edit: For example I see a thumbs up on the Peats Limerick thread below this which quite blatantly should be a thumbs down...

Don't you mean Maplin's Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Slice wrote:
    Cityjet that fly from Dublin to London City Airport are excellent. I've been upgraded with them to first class before, I've been given a free meal at the airport from them when my flight's been delayed and most recently when I missed my flight I've been rescheduled at no extra cost. Yes they're not a no-frills airline but recently I've been booking last minute alot and they've oftened worked out cheaper when you need to fly within a day or two of arranging the flights.

That's not to mention the fact that London City Airport is a dream to travel through compared to any other London airport.

Agreed with this. I would rather pay the extra few quid to fly to city rather than a taxi trip away, its much more comfortable and just worth it in my opinion. Excellent service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 chuckberry

Got great service from Ballybot dental surgery in Newry. After taking into account GBP to EURO conversion They were actually less than half the price that I was quoted for identical work using identical material in two dental surgeries in Dublin.

Rip off Ireland is alive and well!

They were brought to my attention by a friend who faced similar charges in Dublin

Faced similar charges? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

moloneyg wrote:
    I have always found that peats sales guys are friendly, helpful, and I've never had a complaint.

Yes, I've found Peats to be good too, including responding to email queries. And also Richer Sounds (any company that labels its special offers section "Dodgy Deals" has obviously got great confidence in the perceived quality of its products & service)

Definitely give these guys your business and not Dixons/PC World who get really bad reviews elsewhere in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

The chemist at the O'Connell St end of Henry st (can't remember the name!). Bought Podge & Rodge slippers, they were the last pair from the window and although they were perfect, the bag was missing and before I could even ask she knocked a fiver off them.

Eircom - was very slightly overcharged (€3) during a price changeover and when I queried it and presented my figures they gave me a month free straightaway (a lot more than €3!) and apologised for the error.

Advertisement