Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Regs

Options
  • 05-11-2006 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello to all from Boston.

My wife and I are thinking of returning to live in Ireland when she retires (I’m already retired). I have been an Olympic-style and a bullseye pistol shooter for many years.
    Can someone tell me if, under the new regs, I would be able to bring my air pistols, free pistols and sport pistols with me if and when we move?
    I am assuming that the fact that I hold a licence to carry a concealed firearm here would help me get a license in Ireland.
    Also, is there an Olympic pistol team in the republic?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Paul, Boston

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭FLAG

PardiniGSP wrote:
    Hello to all from Boston.

My wife and I are thinking of returning to live in Ireland when she retires (I’m already retired). I have been an Olympic-style and a bullseye pistol shooter for many years.
    Can someone tell me if, under the new regs, I would be able to bring my air pistols, free pistols and sport pistols with me if and when we move?
    I am assuming that the fact that I hold a licence to carry a concealed firearm here would help me get a license in Ireland.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Paul, Boston

Hi Paul

You will be glad to hear that there is no difficulty in your importation of your pistols when you come to live in Ireland, there used to be paperwork from our Department of Justice for the importation of firearms by non-residence taking up residence in Ireland however I have not come across it. There is an application form for the importation of firearms into Ireland as attached. As per the EU Weapons Directive your pistols are category B.

In order to obtain a certificate here in Ireland you need to show adequate cause or in other words have a valid reason for requiring the certificate. As you are presently in posession of the firearms and participate in sport shooting you should have no difficulty in obtaining the permit.

Where do you intend to live in Ireland as our shooting clubs tend to be very spread out, thankfully we are seeing more development in this area!

As for an Irish Olympic Pistol Team, well there are others more qualified to answer that question than I am. No doubt they will respond ASAP.

If we can be of any further help do not hesitate to contact us:

Regards
    Declan Keogh
    FLAG Sub-Committee
    Shooting Sports Assocaition of Ireland
    flagireland@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

PardiniGSP wrote:
    Not at the moment, due to the short time since the reintroduction of pistols. Olympic pistol shooting here is currently at the club level in terms of ability - the highest scores are in the 530-540 region for 10mAP and smallbore pistol hasn't really taken off due to a lack of facilities as yet. That will change in the coming months though. So for now, get over here and get shooting :D

Advertisement