Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear Factory

• 05-11-2006 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

You know, for some reason I decided to whip out Demanufacture today.

I sometimes forget how good Fear Factory are. Probably not the most varied band out there, but they really have carved out their own niché, there's not much out there like them. The only other band that are similar in sound that I really know of is Strapping Young Lad.

Anyone else like 'em?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

I loved Obsolete when it came out. I bought it the day of release and it was the heaviest record I had at that point. Dino's guitar sounds enormous on that record. They've always had a nice blend of metal and synthetic sounds. That band Spineshank totally tried to sound like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

For some reason I never got their last album, even though I loved Archetype before it. I wasn't gone on the song they made a video for.
    Is it worth getting? They wouldn't be amongst my favourite band, but a really decent listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

transgression the newest album isnt essential listening to be honest, but if you like Archetype you will probably like it.
    if you are buying their albums get some earlier stuff before transgression (however avoid digimortal - very poor)

i agree Karl btw - great band, little bit different to what was going in metal at the time.demanufacture was excellent and i always considered it the heaviest thing i had heard at the time.

"i've got no more goddamn regrets"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I got Digimortal, and then just kinda tuned out after that. I should probably check out Archetype though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Same for me with Digimortal. I'd heard plenty of their stuff and said I'd buy a cd myself. Unfortunately picked that one :)

The heaviness and depth of sound from the guitar was always very impressive.

• Advertisement

Kharn wrote:
    The heaviness and depth of sound from the guitar was always very impressive.

That's 7-String guitars for ya. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Isn't their Belgian bass player on guitar now? He's got a singature 7 string Jackson. Just one EMG 707 in it. Very minimal looking. Suppose thats all he needs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

I remember the Demanufacture album alright but never really bought much of their stuff after that. What's the story with the band now? Is it just Burton and the drummer from the original lineup? I loved that tune that Dino wrote on the Roadrunners United CD with Andreas from Sepultura...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I love this band, was going to go see them earlier this year in England, but the plans fell through. Its a pity, as this band have always reminded me of Sepultura, a band who release decent material but just dont get the credit they deserved because certain members leave the band. They are really past their prime though, but I still think they deserve more attention then they get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

it is burton and raymond (drums) from original line up.
    the old bassist christian wolbers is now on guitar from dino cazares and they have a new bass player, but cant remember his name.

• Advertisement

Den_M wrote:
    Isn't their Belgian bass player on guitar now? He's got a singature 7 string Jackson. Just one EMG 707 in it. Very minimal looking. Suppose thats all he needs though.

Yeah, the old Ibanez Dino Cazares models just had a single EMG in them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I always give Demanufacture a listen now and again, and Archetype was good but Transgression...is a no no for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

it is burton and raymond (drums) from original line up.
    the old bassist christian wolbers is now on guitar from dino cazares and they have a new bass player, but cant remember his name.
    Byron Stroud from Strapping Young Lad played bass on the Archetype tour. I'm not sure if he did the same on Transgression.

As Motley Crue said, they are past their prime now. I just hope I get a chance to see them live before they call it quits altogether. They have written some fantastic songs in their time. and judging by some of the footage I've seen of them live, they put on a great show. I have heard that Burton doesn't quite nail the vocals any more but as long as he keeps the growl I'd be happy!

You could put together a "Best of" that would kick some serious ass! I think Demanufacture is their best album, closely followed by Obsolete. In fact, the main reason I bought a seven string guitar was to learn to play the song "Descent" off Obsolete properly :)

Enough rambling, in short I highly recommend them to any metal fan. As Karl said, there's not much else like them out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

They've always been tasty listening for me, raymond has heavily influenced my doublekick style and what better mentor? They've had their bad patches and i'm sad to say are probably on the way out, but we'll always have demanufacture and obsolete (and some of soul of a new machine and archtype mind you...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Demanufacture is a superb album - definitely their best.
    Saw them over the summer and I have to admit, I was impressed! Their rhythm is impecable (and this leads to great moshing as well!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

great band,saw them in the ambo a few years ago,great gig,christian on guitar now gives them a new sound i think,i quite like the new stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Karl Didnt you start up this exact same thread like 6 months ago ? O well im not complaining cause fear factory are such a class band. I concur witheveryone here in saying that demanufacture is there best album, obsolete and archetype are close by though and digimortal is deffinatly there worst.

never picked up transgression though after hearing that terrible single/video thing. might just check it out.

Patricide wrote:
    Karl Didnt you start up this exact same thread like 6 months ago ?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Good band, great drummer! achetype was highly impressive i felt. some v.good tunes on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Demaufacture was the soundtrack for my summer back in 96. (Definitely wasnt Load even though it grew on me!) I can remember 'HK Hunter Killer' from Demaufacture was used in an ad for Phillips. I remember sitting in the cinema and it coming on during the ads :D

I saw them 6-7 years ago at the SFX. Dino led us all in a chant of 'You fat bastard, you fat bastard!!!' Thems were the days :D

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote:
    Karl Didnt you start up this exact same thread like 6 months ago ? O well im not complaining cause fear factory are such a class band. I concur witheveryone here in saying that demanufacture is there best album, obsolete and archetype are close by though and digimortal is deffinatly there worst.

never picked up transgression though after hearing that terrible single/video thing. might just check it out.
    To go off topic briefly, is this the thread you're thinking of?

Now, back on topic, I would recommend Fear Factory's latest album. There are a couple of excellent songs on there. Personally I really enjoyed the cover of U2's "I Will Follow" even if I know a lot of others didn't. "Empty Vision" is also a great song. The single "Moment of Impact" definitely wasn't great though.

nope that wasnt the tread, ill look for it later i can remember karl posting in it dunno who started it (well its either that or ive gone crazy but ya never know, i just might have)

Managed to pick up Archetype the other for a tenner, score! :D

Brilliant album, ten times better than Digimortal.

Managed to pick up Archetype the other for a tenner, score! :D

Brilliant album, ten times better than Digimortal.
    Agreed

Nice one! How did you manage that though? It's only 2 years old? Surely they haven't devalued Fear Factory that much?

If it was only a tenner and if the album quality is related to it's pricetag does that mean the same place will pay people to take away copies of Transgression and Digimortal? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

i think transgression is ok,not great but still a good factory album,one thing is for sure,they have hugly improved since dino left

malice_ wrote:
    Nice one! How did you manage that though? It's only 2 years old? Surely they haven't devalued Fear Factory that much?

If it was only a tenner and if the album quality is related to it's pricetag does that mean the same place will pay people to take away copies of Transgression and Digimortal? :D

No, the price has nothing to do with it's quality, it's just that I'm a cheap bastard, so finding good stuff for a good price is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh like the old FF stuff, never got into anything since they released the song linchpin. would love to see them live as was mentioned before - before they call it quits

the only thing with fear factory is they can get quite boring after listening to them for awhile mainly because of the vocals... all sound the same.

but they are definitly unique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

that clip was disgracefully violent, but hilarious

Bought a copy of Transgression a couple of weeks ago and still have it, taught I was gonna get rid of it but held onto it anyway. I love Supernova, 540000 Farenheit and I Will Follow

Advertisement