Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood chip stove ?

Options
  • 05-11-2006 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

I have a question about wood chip stoves - do they take roughly chipped trees, or is it some sore of process chippings ?

I'm wondering as we have forestry which will have to be thinned out in a few years, and I'm going to be building soon, and I'm wondering wehat to install.

If it was wood chips, we could use all the trees that are thinned for fuel - we'd just have to get them chipped (which I have also to find out about).

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

sorry for barging in on your thread but i would also like to find out more info on the wood chip stoves. do they have any information packs or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I don't know - I'm having a look (google etc.) and I'll post if I get anyhting.

There's lots of info on pellet stoves, but not much on chip stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Duncan Stewart did a feature on this on "about the house" last week. It seems that the two important factors are moisture content and chip size. The moisture content as far as I can remember can be up to 35% for use in wood chip burners which should not be hard to achieve if you can cut, cover and store the timber for a while before use. The chip size may be harder to control and the chippers will only roughly chip the timber and I got the impression that large chips had to be sorted out by hand which seems like a pain in the ass.

Advertisement