Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ireland Weather Network. Weather Stations Wanted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭arctictree

DolanBaker - whats up with your weather station??

Is that Diurnial range even possible in this country???

A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

AWS rainfall issue?
    Noticed a couple of posts from Trogdor and Mothman about under-recording of rainfall over the last 24hrs in your areas.
    Rainfall doesnt fall uniformly around the country even though the close proximity of stations but totals are in the high class here in the east regardless.The tipping buckets need to be clean out regulary,spiders and dirt like to nestle in them and on the sensors underneath so much so it gives inaccuracy.Also make sure the station is dead straight,any sort of unallignment left or right can affect the tipping and therefore the accuracy.I had this trouble before when starting out myself.

@Tristrame,sudden increase of rainfall around 18:30 in a minute of about 5mm when your max rain rate was this morning at 5:30am.For this increase it should have measured well above 40mm/hr.Was this a local downpour as there is vey little on radar to say otherwise:confused: or is it a weather display problem.

Usually my station lags behind in terms of rain and interested to know if mine is over-recording but i dont think it is.(Cleaned it about 2 weeks ago)Compared it to my rain gauge on ground and that measured spot on with AWS.Will compare it to Dublin airport tomorrow which no doubt that will be higher of its more wide open location.

But does the AWS under/over read after a dry spell when we get a lot of rain as we did today?

Snowbie wrote:
    @Tristrame,sudden increase of rainfall around 18:30 in a minute of about 5mm when your max rain rate was this morning at 5:30am.For this increase it should have measured well above 40mm/hr.Was this a local downpour as there is vey little on radar to say otherwise:confused: or is it a weather display problem.
    Ah just noticed that now.The rain bucket had debris and some water in it,I took them out at around that time.
    Mine was definitely under recording.

Dublin airport surprisingly recorded lower than me at 30.1mm yesterday.But in fairness i had a final deluge before clearing which dropped 1.5mm with rain rate of 16mm/hr which missed the airport as it came from SW direction,otherwise totals would have been closer with me still reading more.

In fact all the synoptic stations recorded in east appart from casement where below our AWS totals.But you's are saying you have under-recorded,Trogdor,Mothman and yourself.Are ye expecting higher totals again.Must be due to our coastal locations or something.Do you have a seperate rain gauge on ground to compare or have you calibrated it with the measured jug of water method.

@ Tristrame im finding im cleaning my buckets more these days.Use to be twice yearly but have checked and cleaned them 3 times since christmas already due to build up of debris and bugs.After a dry april dust gathered and hardened in the tipping buckets.Warm water done the trick.

Snowbie wrote:
    Dublin airport surprisingly recorded lower than me at 30.1mm yesterday.But in fairness i had a final deluge before clearing which dropped 1.5mm with rain rate of 16mm/hr which missed the airport as it came from SW direction,otherwise totals would have been closer with me still reading more.

In fact all the synoptic stations recorded in east appart from casement where below our AWS totals.But you's are saying you have under-recorded,Trogdor,Mothman and yourself.Are ye expecting higher totals again.Must be due to our coastal locations or something.Do you have a seperate rain gauge on ground to compare or have you calibrated it with the measured jug of water method.
    I understand Mothman reported yesterday [url=http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53363959&postcount=3620[/url] here [/url] that his AWS under recorded versus his quality controled official met Éireann recorder.
    @ Tristrame im finding im cleaning my buckets more these days.Use to be twice yearly but have checked and cleaned them 3 times since christmas already due to build up of debris and bugs.After a dry april dust gathered and hardened in the tipping buckets.Warm water done the trick.
    I didnt use any water,I used a little stick.It was very gooohey stuff-yuck! There was some water in the bucket that hadn't found its way through the icky stuff which would be pretty solid (though perhaps "sticky" rather than solid lol :D) evidence that some rain was not getting recorded.
    I must check it more often tbh.I'd be happy enough with it for another while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Yes, I have the Met Eireann gauge to see what the actual figure is. My AWS was slightly off level, as well as dirt.

Is that the copper cylindrical gauge you use MM,or is there a more up to date gauge the Met are using nowadays?

I find when my AWS is lagging behind on the manual gauge its time to clean AWS buckets,so far they are dead on readings both of them.This is why i got a second gauge as i didnt trust the readings it was given off,not due to location but with the volume of rain was falling at one time and knew it was reading inaccurately.

Snowbie wrote:
    Is that the copper cylindrical gauge you use MM,or is there a more up to date gauge the Met are using nowadays?

That's the one, daily readings at 09z. Some rain stations probably have siphon gauges

The day I go back to reading the copper cylindrical guage at 09z every morning agin will be the day I stop breathing.
    It was such a chore in the unthanked daily commitment and life limiting type of way.

Tristrame wrote:
    The day I go back to reading the copper cylindrical guage at 09z every morning agin will be the day I stop breathing.
    It was such a chore in the unthanked daily commitment and life limiting type of way.
    Each to their own ;)
    Speaking of which, time to change suncard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mothman wrote:
    Each to their own ;)
    Speaking of which, time to change suncard...

Speaking of which..i've an idea what the next quarters bonus might bring.....;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

LoL I knew Mothman, what you meant by the wink straight away,I was even thinking about *that* pm conversation as I posted the above :)

I find military routine stifeling though :D at least I can leave boards moderation for weeks on end (don't tell Gandalf that :P) and the place won't fall apart.
    I could never trust anyone to be particular enough with the met recording when I couldnt be there which is the main problem I had with it.

arctictree wrote:
    DolanBaker - whats up with your weather station??

Is that Diurnial range even possible in this country???

A

Just spotted this message :o

I assume you were referring to the temperature variations...
    This is down to a badly sited temperature sensor, I have been building a house so the weather station has taken a back seat as far as building a stevenson shelter (or whatever it's called :o) the sensor has been exposed to direct sunlight for part of the day.

I have just fitted a temporay sun shield to it, hopefully this will now start to give more realistic values.

I intend to build a proper enclosure for the sensors sometime soon.

I have also found that the rain gauge gave strange readings in March , as if the baseline was approx 7mm /hr constantly. :confused: sorted itself out in April.

Apart from an occasionally intermittent signal from the annemeter/wind vane everything has worked well.

I have just fitted a temporay sun shield to it, hopefully this will now start to give more realistic values.

Yep, thats better, the temperatures recorded are now much closer to the "real" values.

I've registered a domain name for my weather station - http://www.roundwoodweather.com Updates now every 5 mins. Yearly rainfall totals are wrong - can't figure that one out....

Snowbie - can you update the link in this thread? Thanks

Sure,no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

On slayer91 Weather for Quin,Clare it shows the following values. Surely 31.4°C on 5/4/2007 is inaccurate right??

TEMPERATURE HIGHS HOT DAYS THIS MONTH
    Today 21.1 °C at 15:23 PM Max > 30 °C 0 day(s)
    Yest. 20.5 °C at 18:12 PM Max > 25 °C 1 day(s)
    Month 27.0 °C on 8/3/2007 Warmest day 20.9 °C on: 03 Aug 2007
    Year 31.4 °C on 5/4/2007 Warmest night 17.2 °C on: 04 Aug 2007
    TEMPERATURE LOWS

I'd say the temperature gauge isnt properly shielded.

Looking at http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp , the maximum temperature on 4th May (the date format seems to be American) was 22.9°C at Shannon Airport, so rather unlikely to be more than a couple of degrees higher than that, 31.4°C can be ruled out.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Also, every now and then, weather stations or buggy software give out wacky readings. I have a reading of 0.2c for a morning in July which is obviously wrong as the station was reading 12c for the few minutes before and after. Have tried to fix it but this reading is stored somewhere in an unreadable binary file....

A

One more to add to the list of Irish stations :- http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/

Osprey has been in touch with me via email and he's just set up his Vantage Pro and is happy to be added to the list here.

He's based in Newbridge Co Kildare, thanks Osprey!

Great to have an inland Vantage station online .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What is it with Wikla? The place is festooned with stations.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There will be one in south Laois soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gordonre

Longfield wrote: »
    One more to add to the list of Irish stations :- http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/

Osprey has been in touch with me via email and he's just set up his Vantage Pro and is happy to be added to the list here.

He's based in Newbridge Co Kildare, thanks Osprey!

Great to have an inland Vantage station online .

Longfield, thanks for adding my web page to the forum! I still have some work to do as its only a one pager using the standard template from Davis!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18 malcolmh

Hi

new website getting up and running concentrating on realtime weather in donegal for starters.

We are adding new stations shortly including lighting detection equipment - all on an amature basis.

www.donegalweather.com

check it out and leave your thoughts....

A question regarding your lightning detection. Are you getting your own based in Donegal or are you using Morecombe's detection to cover your area from the UK?.

I am going to purchase this week. Any advice is welcomed on ProVantage 2.

Two more weather station added.
    Danno from south Laois and Pikeirl from Athlone.

Can I suggest a link to this page: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/ListStations.asp?selectedCountry=Ireland

I see someone from Kilkenny went live this week also.

Danno wrote: »
    Can I suggest a link to this page: http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/ListStations.asp?selectedCountry=Ireland

I see someone from Kilkenny went live this week also.

That Kilkenny station will have its own website soon and is sited near the closed Met office station.
    More on this when fully live.

• Advertisement

Good news! Somebody close by to compare my data with!

Advertisement