Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ireland Weather Network. Weather Stations Wanted

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gordonre

Supercell wrote: »
    Lol, sorry Gordon.
    [For ppl wondering why this is funneh to me, I emailed Gordon about the same thing yesterday lol]

Oh not to worry! I forgive you today! :D

Would it be possible to have a time and date printed on the actual mesomap? Reason I ask is whenevery you see the map you have no idea as to how current the displayed data is.

Even if the page is refreshed it would still be handy to have date and time info.

Any comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

gordonre wrote: »
    Would it be possible to have a time and date printed on the actual mesomap? Reason I ask is whenevery you see the map you have no idea as to how current the displayed data is.

Even if the page is refreshed it would still be handy to have date and time info.

Any comments?

Agree,

Also I think we should discuss what wind units we should use. Its been setup for MPH for now, and its now been setup that if you submit km/h figures that they'll be converted.
    My unit if choice is MPH and is choice of Snowbie and some other regulars here, but I do note that quite a few of us with websites are displaying km/h.
    Now that Met Eireann and many other day to day occurances have changed to km/h, perhaps the 'right' unit to use is km/h. Regardless, it has been setup that it is straight forward to change in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Any comments?

A time stamp on the map is a good idea. It would show when the map was last updated not necessarily when all of the stations data were last updated though? For instance my data is updated at 30min intervals but the map is updated more frequently.
    Mothman wrote: »
    Agree,

Also I think we should discuss what wind units we should use. Its been setup for MPH for now, and its now been setup that if you submit km/h figures that they'll be converted.
    My unit if choice is MPH and is choice of Snowbie and some other regulars here, but I do note that quite a few of us with websites are displaying km/h.
    Now that Met Eireann and many other day to day occurances have changed to km/h, perhaps the 'right' unit to use is km/h. Regardless, it has been setup that it is straight forward to change in the future

If we're voting on the winds speed units I work in all metric so km/h for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

All metric here too, don't see any point in using the imperial system here when everything is metric.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

pauln wrote: »
    A time stamp on the map is a good idea. It would show when the map was last updated not necessarily when all of the stations data were last updated though? For instance my data is updated at 30min intervals but the map is updated more frequently.

Good point on the out of date stations!

Just a few thoughts to add: If the data is out of date by say more than 30 minutes (I recall sb (pauln) saying their data is updated every 30-mins), then can the data for these stations be displayed in say red indicating it is 'old' data?

Another handly idea is to have a play-back option where you can 'play-back' data for a past custom period. If a history of our uploaded data is kept in a database then this is quite possible. I am not the programmer here and realise this will require quite a lot of work. This would be a nice feature though. This could be added all the networks around the globe using this system. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Anyone running WL or VWS, will you download and update the new stickertags so we can get them tested please, thanks.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Anyone running WL or VWS, will you download and update the new stickertags so we can get them tested please, thanks.

Already done!

Things are getting on quite nice I see!

dolanbaker, your VWS is not updating and is offline. Data not showing since 9am this morning.

Ok new sticker tags to come now, just talking to Ken atm. I will edit in here when there ready. Give me a mo and then download again. I'll let you know when i edit in here. BRB

• Advertisement

I'm up and running now as well, just had to set the uploads correctly.

Ok new sticker tags to come now, just talking to Ken atm. I will edit in here when there ready. Give me a mo and then download again. I'll let you know when i edit in here. BRB

Does this mean another change to the .htx file after the last one we received today?

Does this mean another change to the .htx file after the last one we received today?
    Yes, there will be. All in a good cause :)

Yes, there will be. All in a good cause :)

I understand! ;)

Yes, the change will indicate an update in the coding process for the site from our requests for changes to be made. This will be common for WL and VWS users. Here are the links for downloading now. A new update will be a new .htx

WeatherLink: http://www.irelandsweather.com/WL_stickertags.htx
    VWS: http://www.irelandsweather.com/VWS_stickertags.htx

I'm up and running now as well, just had to set the uploads correctly.
    Not quite, you where using the older tags, the new downloads above should fix that for you. Plus what is your interval time for uploading?
    BTW a problem with your sunset times

Newbridge stickertag still has an issue.. no sunset time in the tag.
    21:35,26/08/08,17.3,17.6,17.3,85,14.7,1014.1,Steady,3.2,WNW,0.2,, 6:28,,3.6,11.3,°C|km/hr|hPa|mm
    Should appear between the ,, after 6:28 (sunrise)

Do not have wordwrap engaged in notepad .. it should be one line only in the text .htx file

Not quite, you where using the older tags, the new downloads above should fix that for you. Plus what is your interval time for uploading?

OK done now, also change my upload times for that file to 5 minutes.

Looks good, low fire risk! ;) it's so damp here I'd struggle to start one!

lol, look on the IRLWN forum for changes we have requested. One request is to remove the chandler burning index.

lOne request is to remove the chandler burning index.
    We should replace it with a flood index...

BTW a problem with your sunset times

Apologies guys, I will sort this out when I get home later this evening. I have added comments and a suggestion I believe will greatly help speed up development in the IRLWN forum.

Would it not perhaps be better to keep IRLWN suggestions and changes on that forum? Might make it easire to keep ideas etc in one place!?

• Advertisement

It would in the long term but this forum get's more traffic still atm so i will link here too for the time being.

We do have a suggestions area on the IRLWN forum also.

It would in the long term but this forum get's more traffic still atm so i will link here too for the time being.

We do have a suggestions area on the IRLWN forum also.

That makes perfect sense! For the sake of the traffic here I will repost my IRLWN post here is that is not a problem!

My post from IRLWN:
    Just looking at boards.ie it seems as if there may still be an issue with my data from Newbridge. I did not get a chance to change to the latest .htx file. Will do this when I arrive home later this evening.

There was a comment about having notepad configured with no CR (carriage return), is this correct?

I would also like to make a suggestion regarding this tag file. Would it not be more efficient especially for your development's sake to have most if not all the most common tags added to the file and then you can simply use the tags you need? That way if there are changes to the requirements or what needs to be displayed, then that info will likely already be available. Also this minimises the delays in getting the site the way we would like it. That way should there be changes to the .htx file then they will be fewer.

So my suggestion is to add tags for all possible outside data and then it's a simple pick and choose when necessary! cheesy.gif

Any comments?

Edit: I also made a suggestion on boards.ie to display 'old' data in a different colour (color). Perhaps have data older than 30-min in blue and data older than 1-hour in red and more than one day place an 'X' as in the Nordic site.

Cheers
    Gordon

malcolmh wrote: »
    Hi

new website getting up and running concentrating on realtime weather in donegal for starters.

We are adding new stations shortly including lighting detection equipment - all on an amature basis.

www.donegalweather.com

check it out and leave your thoughts....
    I have your site on the mesomap but is there a way to contact the other stations in your own network to sign up for Ireland network.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Snowbie,

I have downloaded the files and have them working, so you can add me to the map page.

Kind Regards
    DANNO.

Newbridge stickertag still has an issue.. no sunset time in the tag.

I've updated my info with the latest .htx file which should now include the sunset time tag.

I've updated my info with the latest .htx file which should now include the sunset time tag.

Seems like there is a sunset issue on my side! Not sure why that is!? :confused:

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Check that your lat/long is set up correctly

Seems like there is a sunset issue on my side! Not sure why that is!? :confused:

Any suggestions?

Have look on IRLWN forum

Have look on IRLWN forum

Done that thanks Mothman and your solution seems to work! ;):D

• Advertisement

I'll be moving WeatherLink to another laptop in a few moments and hope not to disrupt any info onto the internet - if you do see my website and the mesomap data down for a while, don't pannic! :)

Advertisement