Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ireland Weather Network. Weather Stations Wanted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Looks good lads. My station seems to have no gust to report, is it missing from my data or was there simply "no gust" to report over the last 5 mins???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I strongly feel we should use the current units our own Met Office uses.
    If you like mph why not have Fahrenheit up there too and rain measurements and pressure in inches too?, and this new fangled euro..lets go back to the Punt....
    Times move on and people need to adjust (sorry, didn't mean to come across as lecturing here!..people need to adjust I mean in general to the changes)
    Its your site , so your decision at the end of the day I suppose.
    The new test map looks great (wind speed aside!) :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Km/ph is easily converted to m/ph on the fly, divide by 10 and multiply by 6. i.e. 50km/ph = 50/10 = 5, then 5*6 = 30mph.

I feel we should use what our met uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Supercell wrote: »
    If you like mph why not have Fahrenheit up there too and rain measurements and pressure in inches too?, and this new fangled euro..lets go back to the Punt....
    Times move on and people need to adjust.
    :)

:eek: :pac:

Danno wrote: »
    Looks good lads. My station seems to have no gust to report, is it missing from my data or was there simply "no gust" to report over the last 5 mins???

I think you need your Weatherlink software to be running in "bulletin" mode for the gust to be sent :-

bulliton_mode_small.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Times move on and people need to adjust.
    Point taken
    Its your site , so your decision at the end of the day I suppose.
    I would not put it like that. I aim to have this site as best i can for not one individual but for all of us.:)

We are a week old today and i think we have altered the map somewhat to our likin. What will it be like in a month? As i said already, i will put this to Ken and see what we can come up with.:)

Got that running there now, hopefully some results on the site soon.

Dan whats your interval upload time?

It's gusting now on the site
    Also refreshing the test site in your browser will keep the time of stats updated. Most stations are generating reports every minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gordonre

Juat in case you are wandering why there is no gust info from my site, I have stopped the bulletin on WL to try and establish where the problems are coming from with the USB type issues I have been experiencing.

Davis tell me my console may be faulty so I may have to send this in for repair or exchange.

Anyway my site is still up and running and the 5-min updates to IRLWN (http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/irish_mesomap.html) is still going well as of late last night. WL would freeze each time it tried to down load from the console.

Once I'm happy with the download reliability I will turn the bulletin on and see what gives there.

Apologies for the inconvenience and missing gust data guys!

Edit: FYI: I have added the link above as I don't yet have 25 posts on boards.ie so I have my signature and other basic goodies witheld until then. Well there's three more to go.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Dan whats your interval upload time?

It's gusting now on the site
    Also refreshing the test site in your browser will keep the time of stats updated. Most stations are generating reports every minute.

I have it at 5 minutes since I rejigged my http://durrow.athost.net/weather page as I cut the graphics upload.

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Just a few things to note here for PWS owners.
    Athlone - Humidity being reported at 35% whilst nearby Birr reports 88%. Again, way out. Pressure here is also reporting 3mb lower than Birr. Your temperatures seem to be a tad high also.

I'm sure too that my own data is not the 100% either. I have a sneaking suspicion that my pressure reading is slightly high by 0.2 or 0.3mb. I will be keeping a close eye on Birr and Carlow reports for comparison.

My hygrometer fell over earlier in the year and "recallibrated itself" to the humidity of wet grass :( , I have more important things to buy before replacing it - with a bit of luck a couple of foggy days will make it reset and give more realistic readings.

Just recalibrated the pressure so should be OK there, as for the temperature I live in a sheltered spot that seems to hold the heat, I have used two thermometers and get the same figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

We are a week old today and i think we have altered the map somewhat to our likin. What will it be like in a month?

Radar with lightning, Satellite overlays :pac:

Mothman wrote: »

And snow depths, freezing lines, etc... :D:D:D

Mothman wrote: »
    I like it, seriously that would be brilliant. I know this is generally used in the US of A with a program called NEXRAD and GR3, but not here:(.

Sure on Google maps you can get a radar overlay but satellite in real time be difficult or even 15 minute updates would suit.:cool:

The mesomap is now updated to show the changes.

I'm going to get the ball rolling in asking for some sort of tab that a user can select to change the units of measurement.

Obviously wind speed showing the units in either m/s, k/ph or kts both for the map and the table.

I'm sure we can all agree that Celcius for temperature can be left the way it is and pressure in mb/hpa and no need to change anything there?

Your thoughts please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Keep up the good work lads.

Cant wait to see this site when its running on full steam.

Quin weather station claims to have a Webcam, but it doesn't (or its not linked to on the main site) , I feel cheated! I was curious to see what conditions are like there given the realtively warm temp reported and low humidity.
    His application, he mentioned he has a webcam and the message he left was that he only recently updated his site and including new features , so maybe he will include it over time?

He has his webcam up and running now:)

http://www.quinweather.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It shows up well how I've still got relatively moist air, the Dp is ~3C lower at all the other station at 2.30pm.

New site added to mesomap. Howth Co.Dublin. Now 12 stations. Update you php to include the new site.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I wont be able to keep weatherlink running in bulletin mode on my server therefore the Kilgobnet site wont have gust information anymore.
    Two reasons:
    1.) I have an intermittent problem with weatherlink crashing. I have a watchdog setup to restart it when it does happen but I haven't found a way to start it in bulletin mode automatically.
    2.) Only one copy of weatherlink software can access a stations bulletin data stream at any one time or it causes communications errors.

• Advertisement

pauln wrote: »
    I wont be able to keep weatherlink running in bulletin mode on my server therefore the Kilgobnet site wont have gust information anymore.
    Two reasons:
    1.) I have an intermittent problem with weatherlink crashing. I have a watchdog setup to restart it when it does happen but I haven't found a way to start it in bulletin mode automatically.
    2.) Only one copy of weatherlink software can access a stations bulletin data stream at any one time or it causes communications errors.
    Have you downloaded the USB drivers. WL was known to crash and lock up with USB. There is a link on the IRLWN forum for the drivers.

Have you downloaded the USB drivers. WL was known to crash and lock up with USB. There is a link on the IRLWN forum for the drivers.

It's a weatherlink IP data logger so no USB used, all transferred over TCP/IP via CAT-Ve LAN. I've updated all firmware's & software to the latest versions so there's not much else I can think to do.
    It's not a huge problem averaging maybe one crash a week but when I only log into the server via VNC every now and then to see that it's still running it can go unnoticed for quite a while.

Paul, Ken is looking for a possible solution to your problem and will let me know.
    For the WeatherLinkIP -> weatherlink issue, I think it's ok to run
    without Gust info. There is a small plugin for WeatherLink that opens a
    Bulletin window when WL starts up. I'll rummage around for it (have it
    running on my WL5.7.1 system for quite a while).

I think we can bring our ideas and problems (if any) for the network over to the IRLWN forum now. Ken can answer questions about the network much quicker than i can as he has vast experience in all the networks globally.

He also needs feedback on the new implemented changes and how they are working out? Paul above for example has trouble with the WL IP which Ken hopefully can find a solution to this problem.
    Things like this can be answered much quicker and be beneficial to you if you post there.
    Gordon has also had trouble with data from the VP2 another example.

Anyone can join the forum over Here (weather station, website or not) and ask whatever you wish concerning the IRLWN.

Paul, Ken is looking for a possible solution to your problem and will let me know.

I think we can bring our ideas and problems (if any) for the network over to the IRLWN forum now. Ken can answer questions about the network much quicker than i can as he has vast experience in all the networks globally.

He also needs feedback on the new implemented changes and how they are working out? Paul above for example has trouble with the WL IP which Ken hopefully can find a solution to this problem.
    Things like this can be answered much quicker and be beneficial to you if you post there.
    Gordon has also had trouble with data from the VP2 another example.

Anyone can join the forum over Here (weather station, website or not) and ask whatever you wish concerning the IRLWN.

That's no problem except that when I looked there doesn't really appear to be forum on the board over there for discussions about problems uploading to the network. There's the thread in the announcements section but we can't keep putting everything in there and this isn't really news. Then there's the personal weather website's section but this is a specific problem relating to uploading to the network not a personal site.
    Would it be possible to make another forum over there like Uploads troubleshooting or something similar?

Hi Paul, use the IRLWN/Networks update section and the IrelandsWeather.com threrad in the members area for the moment. You will have to register to see this part of the forum if not already.

New stations added to the mesomap. Now 15 in total.
    2 more included in NI and Palmerstown in Dublin.
    1 of the stations(Dromore) in NI has sent me his wrong URL with the vws_stickertags.htm and is not updating. Several attempts to contact him with no response over the last week but i will leave it up for the time being incase he gets back to me.

Anyone that has the map graphic installed on their website should update to keep it current. :)

Great to see so many stations up there Snowbie, we sure have good coverage on the east coast!
    Connaught and Munster under-represented so far, really hope we can get stations in the far west and southwest as most of our weather afterall passes over there first.
    Great success in such a sort time though.

I presume the lack of stations there are caused by the lack of Population and lack of Broadband access.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Great to see so many stations up there Snowbie, we sure have good coverage on the east coast!
    Connaught and Munster under-represented so far, really hope we can get stations in the far west and southwest as most of our weather afterall passes over there first.
    Great success in such a sort time though.

Will have a carefull look at setting up a station in my location early 2009, i'm not an I.T. person and it might be beyond my capabilities so we'll see ,in the meantime well done to all those involved,

• Advertisement

Hope you get it set up Kerry1960, I'm certain you'll find plenty of advice here should you need it. A site in kerry would be fantastic to have on the Ireland Weather network :)

Advertisement