Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ireland Weather Network. Weather Stations Wanted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Supercell wrote: »
    Hope you get it set up Kerry1960, I'm certain you'll find plenty of advice here should you need it. A site in kerry would be fantastic to have on the Ireland Weather network :)

Yes , there is a big gap down here atm , so (and it's not an idle promise) i will try certainly try to 'fill the gap' in the not too distant future (have some smarter offspring than me), in the meantime can't see what use this information(ie 300 days of drizzle:rolleyes:)will be to anyone :D......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

While the dollar is still weak it is a good time to be getting the equipment. It will be interesting to see your recordings as you are situated on higher ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

New station added to mesomap Glanworth Co. Cork.

The owner of this site use's Cumulus software and we have been sending mails back and forth lately.
    He has set-up cumulus to update the data in the file format that matches weather link.

Another 2 possible sites also in Sligo and Dundalk hopefully soon.
    More NI, plus Kerry, Galway and Mayo needed, aswell as more inland stations. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowbie wrote: »
    Galway & Mayo needed

Map filling up nicely Snowbie, and as soon as I can...(u know the story):o

Map filling up nicely Snowbie, and as soon as I can...(u know the story):o
    :)

• Advertisement

Hopefully a new look to the network coming soon.

The admin of the Nordic network is releasing his scripts soon but needs to fine tune a few things first. The mouse over data showing webcams and data is a neat feature that i and a few others on our network are interested in aswell as max/min and avg of data.

http://www.nordicweather.net/index.php?sivu=100&lang=en

Also, whats of concern is some stations on top of each other on the map, the map is sized as best it can to fit the land of the island in on the page keeping within pixel width/height as i knew where stations would be located at first. So not to clutter the map and position each stations data with pointer lines over the Irish sea (east stations) i have left the station dots where they are atm as it is just within limits of legibility.

But then this chap has released a script (not publically) where the countries of the Nordic network is broken up individually into seperate pages, this is what i could do for Ireland for some counties with Co. Wicklow and Co. Dublin in mind.

More on this later. :)

The idea of the lines from the stations to the Irish Sea would be a much better idea than breaking up the map IMHO.

I have considered the pointer lines to the sea but not needed yet as not many stations as yet in one area to change. I also think the station dot is better displaying the location of the station rather than a line but thats my opinion and i'm open to suggestions but it does take up a portion of an area on the map.

Regarding a new style mesomap of Ireland, this would still be visible just like now but with additional stations in Wicklow and Dublin will clutter somewhat (if and when more stations are added), not saying in any way a certain quota for a county, the more the merrier. For ease of reading data, seperate tabs say at the top with links to a map of the counties with the majority of stations located in, i think would be good.

When arctictree or nemonoid go live, the data will be hard to read and the pointer lines to the Irish sea will be needed for the island map.
    This seperate link to a county map such as Wicklow and Dublin will benefit as Wicklow will have 5 stations and Dublin 4 but with the size of Dublin compared to Wicklow, Dublin will be just as cluttered.

This is early days and it won't happen tomorrow, so all suggestions welcome as to what features you would like to see and getting extra ideas from the link to the Nordic site above as he has the scripts which eventually will forward to Ken and then onto me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Exciting stuff, the Nordic popups are pretty cool I think, looking forward to seeing that implemented.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Have had a good few mails from the Nordic admin and he is still fine tuning the scripts for the site at the moment and he said he will .zip them to me when he is finished tweaking them. He went into detail whats involved so i be patient.

Lovely jubbly :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Have had a good few mails from the Nordic admin and he is still fine tuning the scripts for the site at the moment and he said he will .zip them to me when he is finished tweaking them. He went into detail whats involved so i be patient.

Lovely jubbly :)
    Keep up the good work!

OT
    I see Africa is represented with a network in Namibia, one of my favourite countries in Africa.

Yes MM, Jens contacted me through the IRLWN and i pointed him in Kens direction. So he has been busy there last couple of weeks setting up that site.

Was looking at data earlier and one inland station had a air temp of 34C with Dp of -6.2C. Hot surface but dry clear cold air at height. Interesting stuff.

When arctictree or nemonoid go live, the data will be hard to read and the pointer lines to the Irish sea will be needed for the island map.
    This seperate link to a county map such as Wicklow and Dublin will benefit as Wicklow will have 5 stations and Dublin 4 but with the size of Dublin compared to Wicklow, Dublin will be just as cluttered.
    REgional map rather than county would suffice for some time to come.
    The region could include Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare and other nearby stations that may join. Shouldn't be need to go to county level.

Mothman wrote: »
    REgional map rather than county would suffice for some time to come.
    The region could include Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare and other nearby stations that may join. Shouldn't be need to go to county level.
    Maybe by province then:)
    Something like a full size map of Leinster, Munster, Conaught and Ulster.

Maybe by province then:)
    :D
    I didn't want to stir any provincial bias....

I was thinking Leinster being quite long (north to south) that one wouldn't gain much space, but would probably be enough to fit any extra stations in.
    Anyway, not as if we really have to cross this bridge now, plenty of other water to go under before.

:)

Aye need the stations first.
    I could always do it out first to see how it looks and scale down or trim back if required when the time comes.

Also the station that i added the other day knows of a second one to come online also in Co. Cork soon.

The simplist thing would be just have zoom fields on the areas that are getting congested, most of the country will only ever need the national map.

I have those files now and have had a look and them so i quickly mailed Ken for his attention. There is so much in there so i be working with him over the next week and will keep you all informed. Look at the site and pick out the things you like about it and let me know, i already sent a list of requests on so far.

Along with pop ups, the max and min temp will be a great addition. I don't have strong desire for any of the other features.............snow depth? LOL not needed!
    Previously I though max gust, but most anemometers are not well exposed, so not much interest.
    What about rainfall past hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Finally got a weather station :D, early Xmas present. Have it streaming data to my site, just have to get the wind sensor put up this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Great stuff, nice to have a station up there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Finally got a weather station :D, early Xmas present. Have it streaming data to my site, just have to get the wind sensor put up this weekend.
    Right mate your up and running on the network now, all is working fine with your data upload.:)

NB: the station has no wind data atm and he will sort that out pretty soon. Other data transmitting fine. The station he uses is a WS2310.

To whoever has the mesomap installed on their website, I won't upload the .zip untill the wind data comes through from the station. I will send a general email to all the member stations when this happens.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Right mate your up and running on the network now, all is working fine with your data upload.:)

NB: the station has no wind data atm and he will sort that out pretty soon. Other data transmitting fine. The station he uses is a WS2310.

To whoever has the mesomap installed on their website, I won't upload the .zip untill the wind data comes through from the station. I will send a general email to all the member stations when this happens.:)

Many thanks Snowbie :D, wind sensor should be up this weekend, just waiting to get it put up on the roof.

I have those files now and have had a look and them so i quickly mailed Ken for his attention. There is so much in there so i be working with him over the next week and will keep you all informed. Look at the site and pick out the things you like about it and let me know, i already sent a list of requests on so far.

Just an update on this. Apparently there is alot of SQL in the files from the nordic site and Ken said it be awhile untill he does a general release for all the networks. He is also dealing with two new networks and beating fires back in California so be awhile i'm afraid.
    The chap from the nordic site has given me a little help but he has little english and is constantly updating that site.

I'll try give it ago on the table forms myself again over the next week but i will have limited time soon myself. Got close to it and look good in testing but FF and IE browsers where throwing some odd results back. The thing is everything looked good in the scripts but of course there is more to do within the PHP scripts. I might just leave it until the PHP guru's get back to me on this one.:)

Been browsing the net and have found some weather stations belonging to folk in Ireland. I don't think any of them post here... but here they are:

Tralee, Kerry - http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=CW4090&units=metric&last=12

Cappamore, Tipperary - http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=CW2597&units=metric&last=12

I have probably posted this before somewhere, but here is link to
    guide to AWS operation which is useful reading for anyone installing an AWS.
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/awsguide/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Map filling up nicely guys. Well done. :)

Looks like the west is remaining unconquered though, but sure nothing new there...:D;)

Is'n there a few more posters on here that have got weather stations recently?
    I have got no sign up emails from them for the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Is'n there a few more posters on here that have got weather stations recently?
    I have got no sign up emails from them for the network.

Hi, I got a LaCrosse WS2300 but won't be in a position to erect and install for a week or so.

Sadly it's another Dublin site, Clondalkin, approx 2km's frpom Casement (Baldonnel).

Advertisement