Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger .17

Options
  • 05-11-2006 10:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭

picked out a rifile today! a ruger .17 with a synthetic handle. went in with the intention of picking out a .22 but the guy that owned the shop recomended a .17 instead. he reckoned that accuracy and range would be better than the .22! since i only want it for target shooting seems to be the smart choice! what do people think????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

What distance target shooting will you be doing? .22LR is the most popular choice for target shooters. Also the price of the ammunition is an important factor. Go along to a gun club and you will get all the advice on the subject you could wish for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

they reckoned the .17 is accurate to 200yards and shoots in a straighter line unlike a .22 or .22 magnum which has a roughly 120yard accuracy and the bullet seems to drop more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

You dealer is right in what he says but wrong at the same time

the .17hmr is a more accurate round than the .22lr and has a longer range but for target shooting it doesnt exactly work like that you enter a discipline where everyone shoots the same round and i dont know how popular the 17 is with target shooters.

the 22 is the main target shooting round for rimfires and its what everyone uses the 17 has the advantage in field shooting where longer shot may be required but when on a range your shooting at a set distance for groups.

Do you intent to take up this as a serious sport or just casual shooting at the range?

I would go to your club and see what facilities are available there and what rifles are shot there and go with that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

just some casual shooting for the mo. setting up targets on my own land! should be interesting coz my uncle always uses a .22 magnum, so looking forward to direct comparisons!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Well then you should be ok but if you want to take it up competitvely your better off with a 22

a 17 can be alot of fun when plinking try setting up clays at 250 yards;)

you'll find that in most cases a 17hmr is a more accurate round than the 22mag however depending on what guns he's using and the ammo its might suprise you how well it can shoot but the mag is mainly a hunting round and it shows on the target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

some nice field testing and ballistics

The video is very impressive

Advertisement