Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish flags in crowd at premiership games

• 05-11-2006 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with the Irish flags in crowd at many premiership games? You never see cameroon flags, or welsh flags, or portugese flags but theres nearly always an irish one being waved frenetically. I noticed one again today at white harte lane for Tottenham game obviously as robbie keane was playing but robbie might not have been playing if jol rotated the squad but the irish person would still be waving i bet.

Why do many irish people feel the need to do this?? I was in a pub outside white harte land last year and a group of irish lads in irish jerseys arrived in after a spurs game and some local cockney Tottenham fans said something like " not more fuc£ing paddies" as if they resent the irish wearing irish jerseys/waving flags at spurs games in the english city of london.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

some local cockney Tottenham fans said something like " not more fuc£ing paddies" as if they resent the irish wearing irish jerseys/waving flags at spurs games in the english city of london.

This would be the perfect reason to be honest!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

you get paddy flags at all PL games,whats your point

*no offence made by the use of the word paddy*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I went to a few Spurs games when in London, and drank with many Spurs fans , in North London, and they certainly had a largish Irish following , and in general seamed to like the Irish , the only people they didn't seam to like were gooners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

thebaz wrote:
    the only people they didn't seam to like were gooners.

Yeah, at the Liverpool game in Anfield I was beside the spurs section, they spent the whole match chanting about Sol Campbell and/or Arsenal.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This would be the perfect reason to be honest!!

To piss them off? Thats a bit sad to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Whats the question ?

Why some Irish people bring Irish flags to show their support for Irish players at EPL games and maybe to show a bit of national pride.

or

Why a couple of local Spurs fans said "not more fuc£ing paddies" when they saw a couple of Irish lads in Irish jerseys ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I always thought it was a representation of where you come from. To show how far you have come to watch your team (ok it's only over the pond) play. I think it's a nice thing to see at games. What's wrong with it?
    There is a difference between showing where you are from at a match and getting langers drunk in an Irish jersey and upsetting the locals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I never got this. If we showed half as move pride in our own league then football overall in this country and international scene would be much better then it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

jank wrote:
    I never got this. If we showed half as move pride in our own league then football overall in this country and international scene would be much better then it is now.

You could lead the way and replace that Goon picture in your sig...

Spurs have a very large Irish following, and a lot travel over regularly. We are always made very welcome, everyone I ever meet is amazed we travel as much as we do and respect us for it.

I think the OP just ran into a group of assholes TBH. And assholes are everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Next people will complain that grounds are too noisy. :rolleyes:

You see flags of all sorts at any large stadium of a big team with international support. Why would that bother anyone? I'd imagine the paddies remarks are friendly banter taken out of context and so long as you're shouting for the home team nobody cares where you're from.

Personally I'd love to see various flags being hung at Villa Park be they Irish, Polish, American whatever. Who cares...

• Advertisement
Advertisement