Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book from the past, can you help?

Options
  • 06-11-2006 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hay All,

I dont know if anyone can help me or if anyone can suggest a better place to look for this but here goes..

I am trying to track down a book that I read about 20 years ago in Ireland..
    The problem is I dont remember the title or authors name.. To try and jog any memories

A science-fiction, alien invasion of a planet (nearly positive not earth, but could be wrong).. The books (and I think there was about 3 or 4) were based around the resistance. The only thing I can remember is that the aliens had a shield that could only be penetrated by slow moving objects, which led to the resistance using nail slingshot weapons..

I read the first and second of these books around 1985 but they could have been around longer than this. I read Tripods by John Christopher at the same time but just found out that he wrote that book in 67.

I know this is a long shot and with some very hazy information, but just thinking that maybe someone has a better memory than me, or they have gotten books from brothers/sisters/parents..

Hope someone can help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Sorry I can't help but maybe you could try posting this in the Sci Fi & Fantasy forum as well, might get more luck there.

Maybe PM the appropriate mod first and explain why you want to create a duplicate thread.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Would it be "When Dreamers cease to dream?"

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/barbara-bartholomew/when-dreamers-cease-to-dream.htm

I remember the Tripods book too... think that was one of the first sci-fi books I ever read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cannonfodder

Thanks for getting back to me, have continued to look myself with no luck..

r3nu4l : Have done what you advised, did not realise there was a SciFi section..

Boss: That is not the book, but thanks for that site, will slowly go thru all the Sci Fi Authors and see if any ring a bell.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Sounds a little like Dune. The personal shield could be penetrated by knives slowly. But if a blaster hit one it caused a nuclear explosion. And it centred around the resistance of the locals.

No actual invasion in it though. The Atreides already ruled the planet when the book started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cannonfodder

Thanks Macro,

Nope not Dune, the author of the book I am looking for would not have had the same talent as Frank Herbert.. The books I would have read back then would have been real easy reading, Enid Blyton etc. Not confusing and quite thin.

The Books just caught my imagination back then and I wanted to try and get them again to see if they were any good.

The shield that I mentioned (which is the only thing I can really remember) was able to repel things like bullets because they moved quickly but when an alien was attacking the resistance and a building fell on him (the alien), he was crushed and killed by a brick or reinforcement bar because it moved slowly..

I am at this rate sure the book was not a mainstream writer but thanks for advice and help by all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

i think i read them myself years ago, they were set in England werent they? Thats about all i can remember

Advertisement