Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can ye tell me about ITs?

Options
  • 06-11-2006 1:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Is there any difference between them and the NUIs? As long as I go on a Level 8 course will I come out just as good as if I'd gone to an NUI (and got the same results obviously)?

I was considering CIT as I don't really want to study in Dublin tbh. Do the free-fees for EU students still apply?

Anything else you can tell me would be of great help!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

As far as I know, the free-fees apply to all third level establishments. As for the results, there shouldn't be a problem. I am currently studying at the North West Institute in Derry and the qualification I will get is recognised everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'm pretty sure that the [free]fees apply; I could be mistaken though.
    HETAC accreditation is pretty well respected, but there's always snobbery when it comes to getting a job, in many places.
    What course have you got in mind?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Karoma wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that the fees apply; I could be mistaken though.
    HETAC accreditation is pretty well respected, but there's always snobbery when it comes to getting a job, in many places.
    What course have you got in mind?
    Business Info Systems
    Or anything involving Business and Computing. Comp Sci if I have to...

What exactly are the Level 6/7 courses and are they worth doing?

Karoma wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that the fees apply; I could be mistaken though.

Yup, info here: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/education/third_level_education/fees.html

If you're going to a private college, or repeating a year then you're not covered for 'free fees' plus you won't be eligible for grants even if you receive a scholarship from them (will not be eligible for grants only for the one year if that's all you're repeating in a non-private college). But from the above, ITs aren't private so you'd be grand for the free fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What exactly are the Level 6/7 courses and are they worth doing?

They correspond to the old Certificate and Diploma awards.

Generally, in the ITs you have to do one of these before progressing onto the Level 8 (honours degree). Unless of course you are doing an Ab Initio degree, which is a degree course from start to finish - no intermediate awards.

In today's marketplace, leaving with "just" an ordinary degree doesn't cut the mustard in my opinion.

• Advertisement

In today's marketplace, leaving with "just" an ordinary degree doesn't cut the mustard in my opinion.
    So what are you recommending?

Honours degree at the minimum (level 8).

I went ahead and did a Masters myself, I am of the opinion that the more qualifications you have, the better.

When you say "go on to do a Masters" do you mean Post-Graduate study?

If I take a Level 8 course, how long do they last on average?

In comparison, if I take a Level 6/7 course and then go on to do a Level 8 degree in the same area, how long am I looking at?

Thanks for the help:)

When you say "go on to do a Masters" do you mean Post-Graduate study?

Well, post-grad can be a diploma too, which is still at Level 8. A masters is one level higher, at level 9.
    If I take a Level 8 course, how long do they last on average?

In comparison, if I take a Level 6/7 course and then go on to do a Level 8 degree in the same area, how long am I looking at?

In the IT's you usually do a level 6 (2 years), followed by a level 7 (1 year) and then the level 8 (1 year). You cannot get direct entry to a level 8 unless you have previous qualifications.

So you are looking at 4 years in total.

Have a look at CIT's page here. It explains it all nicely with a diagram.

tom dunne wrote:
    Have a look at CIT's page here. It explains it all nicely with a diagram.

This (PDF) one is purdier :)

• Advertisement

Starting to understand it now :)

What 'previous qualifications' do you mean? If I have A-Levels in Business and Computing, will I be able to go straight to a Level 8 course in a related field - or do I start at 6 and work up.

I know this thread is about ITs but if I apply to an NUI, is it the same deal with having to do Level 6 first?

And on the off-chance that anyone is familiar with the UK university system, what is the Irish equivalent of, say, a 4-year sandwich course for a BA(Hons)?

Starting to understand it now :)

What 'previous qualifications' do you mean? If I have A-Levels in Business and Computing, will I be able to go straight to a Level 8 course in a related field - or do I start at 6 and work up.

I've no idea about A-Levels, but by previous qualifications I mean a previous 3rd level qualification (e.g. certificate, ordinary level degree, etc). Isn't A-Level 2nd level education? If so, I don't think it would count.
    I know this thread is about ITs but if I apply to an NUI, is it the same deal with having to do Level 6 first?

No, NUIs go straight through for the 4 years. There aren't any intermediate qualifications (that I know of).
    And on the off-chance that anyone is familiar with the UK university system, what is the Irish equivalent of, say, a 4-year sandwich course for a BA(Hons)?

Well, I would imagine a 4 year BA(Hons) in the UK is the same as a 4 year BA here. I couldn't really see why there would be any difference.

Gotcha - so if I go to an NUI I'll be doing a 4 year course (is this still referred to as a Level 8 course?) and if I go to an IT I'll be doing a Level 6, 7 and then 8 - but still study for 4 years. And after the 4 years in either establishment do I have the same credentials?

Also my cousin was saying that a lot of NUI students look down on IT students. Not that I care but is that anything to do with the fact that for the first 3 years you're studying Level 6-7 stuff, or is it just baseless snobbery? :D

tom dunne wrote:
    No, NUIs go straight through for the 4 years. There aren't any intermediate qualifications (that I know of).

Although not an NUI, Trinity allows you (in certain courses, I'm not 100% if it's across the board) to drop out after 3 years with an Ordinary Degree B.A. (i.e. a Level 7 degree). I'm doing engineering and I'll be getting two degrees from it - the ordinary B.A. mentioned in the above line and with a little luck a decent honours B.A.I. (level 8). So although I would have applied for a level 8 course, I can leave with a level 7 degree!

No idea about other circles.

Gotcha - so if I go to an NUI I'll be doing a 4 year course (is this still referred to as a Level 8 course?) and if I go to an IT I'll be doing a Level 6, 7 and then 8 - but still study for 4 years. And after the 4 years in either establishment do I have the same credentials?

Correct. You come out with an honours degree in the subject.
    Also my cousin was saying that a lot of NUI students look down on IT students. Not that I care but is that anything to do with the fact that for the first 3 years you're studying Level 6-7 stuff, or is it just baseless snobbery? :D

Snobbery, simple as that:). It's the old college vs. university debate.

Thanks again for the help.

Do you think I'd be elligible for any sort of loan/grant from either an Irish or English authority?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

take a look at the college and uni websites and nqai.ie it will all make sense!!

www.ucd.ie
    www.ncirl.ie
    www.nuim.ie
    www.tcd.ie

www.dit.ie

www.gmit.ie
    www.itcarlow.ie
    www.cit.ie

A degree in an IT can be 4 years straight as well as 2 1 1 it depends on the ITs can tend to be better for practical subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

tom dunne wrote:
    Snobbery, simple as that:). It's the old college vs. university debate.

It really depends on the subject imho. In many areas there's little to choose between an IT or a university, but in some there are major differences. There is a lot of unwarranted snobbery but in some areas it is quite justified. If you do your research first it'll be fine, but you don't want to be stuck in an IT course when you'd have been better off in a uni course or vice versa. The practical/theory divide is there but the funding/facilities divide is there also (though this does run on both sides of the coin if you know what I mean).

So I think I've decided on the courses... I just need to put them in preference now.

I made a thread lookin for a bit more help but havn't had any replies yet :(

Take a look if you've got the time:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055023737

Thanks

Advertisement