Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now The Marathon is Over

Options
  • 06-11-2006 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just out of interest for myself. Now that the marathon is over is what is everyone's plans??? The majority of the posts on this site is people who are running their first marathons(which is a little pity in my eyes, as i would like to talk about all level of athletics)
    What is peoples plans???
    For the people who ran their first marathon?? Is that enough running for you or are you going to train for Dublin 2007??? maybe break 3 hours? or 4 hours next year??

Just interested. Would love to help people out, espically if they want to keep running.

Cheers and well done to everyone who finished the marathon.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I'm already signed up for Paris in April and the plan is to at least break 4 hours there. Plan after that is to go lower in Dublin next year than in Paris :) With hopefully some shorter races worked in if I can.

I'm new to this so I'm curious how much better I can get over the next few years - I'm starting way too late and certainly don't seem to have any particular talent for it :) Still it is fun and I enjoy the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Well, Like a fool, I'm back racing already.
    Ran Connaught Intermediate Cross country in Dangan, Galway yesterday.
    Had intended to do some easy miles on the grass, and then watch the senior race.
    But I was roped into making up an intermediate team, and had to run the [thankfully dry enough] course in my trainers.

I'll be in Hollymount Mayo for 10km next weekend.

I'll be taking it easy before doing Spring Miles in preparation for BallyCotton and Connemara Half, and will be back to try to go sub 3 in Dublin next year [may do Berlin as well!]

But I'll be helping organise the 10km race in Athenry on Stephens day [see you all there!] in the meantime!

Later
    Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Andy27981

Hi there

Well for me, im back in the gym at the moment. I have approached some charaties about running london - so thats on the cards. Im taking the next 5/6 weeks completely off running as I have runners knee and what to try to completely let that recover -

definite plans to do more marathons (uninjured this time) - especially after watching NY marathon on eurosport. Im going to thrash my dublin time - cant wait to get stuck into training

Also been reading up on triathlons - looking at bike prices (which im finding expensive).

Might enter the athenry 10K aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

Back training again... busy time for races coming up...

Jingle Bells 5k Dec 3rd - Phoenix Park
    Christmas Morning Mile - St Annes Park Dec 25th
    Tom Brennan 5k Jan 1st - Phoenix Park

When is the Raheny 5 this year? Going skiing on 31st jan, So I think I will miss it.

As for another marathon.... maybe in a few years time. For now, i want to get some speed back into my legs.

Domer

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Raheny 5 is down for 27th January...Hope to confirm dates and our full programme in the next 2 weeks.

Last Sunday in January for Raheny 5 and the Sunday closest to Mid-Summer's day for our 5K...Keep those dates in your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

My next goal is the Shara Marathon in Feb, currently in discussion with my girlfriend about the two of us going to Paris for the marathon. Also in disucssion with her about the LapLand Ultra 100k. I done it this year great experience and really want to do it again, but it falls on her birthday, being away two years in a row may not go down well but we will see. That will keep me busy for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

How does one enter the Jingle Bells 5k on the 3rd of December?

I can't seem to find any info on the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭ZiggyStardust

Hi Amz,
    You can find the entry on the donore harriers website. I also think you can enter on the day.
    http://www.donoreharriers.com/JingleBellA4artwork.pdf

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Cheers Ziggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

well for me the next goal is to quit the cigarettes and to do valencia in four hours! I've also signed up to do the conneamarathon five weeks later. Originally planned to do the half marathon, then changed my mind for the full one!

I'm currently speed reading allan carr's how to give up smoking and just can't wait for the training to begin again-if only i could limping.... scaring people at the moment when i hobble crab like around tesco.

if there's anyone who's run valencia would adore to read their thoughts /opinions on it. the big pull for me was tapas(to indulge my inner piglet) and barcelona (to indulge my inner some-what culture)....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Well, I went to South Africa for a holiday after the marathon, and am only just back.

I'm giving my knees a well earned break from running. I'll start up again in a couple of weeks and do the Port Tunnel run in december. I'm seeing a physio and concentrating on ITB stretches for the next couple of months before trying long distances again. If it goes well, then I'll see about beating my time in the Dublin Marathon next year.

Overall though, my goal was to do the marathon before I hit 30, and I've done that now, so now I'd just like to stay fit!

K.

Advertisement