Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting wood at angles

Options
  • 06-11-2006 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Is there such a thing as an adjustable block for cutting wood at angles, similar to a mitre block but one where you can adjust the degree you want to cut the wood?

I am putting spindles on my staircase and it is at an angle of about 39 degrees. If there is such a thing where could I purchase it? I am in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You could just make up your own Mitre block. square up 3 pieces of wood to the shape of a mitre block, use a bevel to draw a 39 degree line from one side to the other, saw it down accurately and then just stick the saw in the track left by your first cut to get the same angle every time.

If you aren't too confident with your cutting abilities for making the initial cut, just make a Mitre block a bit longer so you can try loads of time to cut keep in line with the angles!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Would you not consider buying a chop saw, they can be bought very reasonable these days in Argos, Homebase or B&Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

A lot of the cheapo ones will only do 90 or 45 degree angles though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Picked a cheap one up in aldi or lidl a few months ago. It can adjust in 1 degree steps. Was only 40 or 50 euro. Check out b&q and similar places for a cheap one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Was going to buy a chop saw, but the only ones I could find, cut only at 45 and 90 degrees. I don't particularly want to spend €400+ for a one off project. But I will look further.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

well if ur cutting the spindels u could cut the first one and then use that for a template for the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

byrner88 wrote:
    well if ur cutting the spindels u could cut the first one and then use that for a template for the rest

That's what I was planning on doing, but want accuracy (straight cut) every time and a block helps this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

Linford wrote:
    Was going to buy a chop saw, but the only ones I could find, cut only at 45 and 90 degrees. I don't particularly want to spend €400+ for a one off project. But I will look further.

Cheers.
    Are you sure they only cut at 90 & 45 degrees? They usually provide an easy way of locking at these angles but you can also lock at any angle you like by tightening a knob.

I bought one of these (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7106794.htm) in argos and found it great for skirting architrave etc on a self build. To do what you want you probably don't even need the cross-cut capability but it would definitely do what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,410 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've sen cheap ones that lock at 30 45 60 and 90. But a thumb screw secures them at any angle.

Advertisement