Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving school - temporarily

Options
  • 06-11-2006 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

We are getting some building work done on the house at present and we'll have to move out in the next week or two for about two months. The problem is what will we do about our 6 year old vis-a-vis school?

We tried to get someplace to rent locally but couldn't get a lease for just 2 months. My parents have offered to put us up but they live 25 miles away on the northside of Dublin and this would involve two 50 mile round trips through rush hour on the M50 to drop our daughter to school in the morning and collecting her in the evening (not to mention my own trip to and from work). Not a pleasant thought I'm sure you'd agree.

My mother has suggested that we temporarily transfer our daughter to the local school in Dublin while we are living there. My problem with this is will it disrupt my daughter's education as the new school will more than likely be following a different syllabus to our local school. In addition, our girl is quiet and shy and might find it hard to fit in with a new class and I don't like to think about her walking around a school yard by herself feeling quite miserable.

Has anyone else been in a similar position to us and what did you do?

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

All primary schools have the same national syllabus.

I would have a talk with her current school and about which ever school you are considering placing her in temporarily and see what can be aranged.

It maybe a little hard on her to make new friends and to leave classmated behind but if you are aware and ready to handle issues when they arise.

This is prolly the last thing you want to hear on top of everything else but is homeschooling an option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hi Dave

I really think this is the only possible way out for you,its either that or as Thaed said homeschooling.

It will also be a reasurrance to K,that if you said to her that her cousins are now only around the corner from her as they will all see more of each other and will probably make it a bit more helpful in that sense not only to her but to yourselves aswell.
    Just thought i would give you the my insight on this as i would think it would help out alot for all concerned.

As with local schools,well kids will generally blend in over time.
    Also your on the DART line now so it be much handier for you for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Just make sure that your local school will keep a place for her when you return. If they are oversubscribed (as many schools are) this might be an issue.

Sounds like you may have a fair bit of help from family :)
    and maybe the sleeping will get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thaedydal wrote:
    Sounds like you may have a fair bit of help from family :)
    and maybe the sleeping will get better.

Thanks Thaed,

Homeschooling would appeal to us if it wasn't for the terrible twins who take up 100% of our time. So it'll have to be a national school in Dublin for a while.

I'll also have to make sure that our local school keeps a place open for my daughter as the school is at bursting point.

Might even send the twins up to their Uncle Snowbie's house for a visit (say about two months:D ). THEN WE'D GET SOME SLEEP:p

Dave

• Advertisement

Working at home with your daugther maybe easier then you think esp if you are going to have some help with the twins (Who know a change in routine and place may just sort them out as well).

The actually acedamic work and exercises don't take up that long or that much time out of the day, esp if you can keep in touch with her teacher and what the class is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I'd start looking at the new schools asap as very few have places and waiting lists are years long!!

Perhaps a local school would be accomodating knowing it is only temporary.

They have holidays for xmas coming up and days off in between so it will only be for a few weeks of actual schooling.

dave wrote:
    Might even send the twins up to their Uncle Snowbie's house for a visit (say about two months ). THEN WE'D GET SOME SLEEP
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Just an update -

I've spoken to the Headmistress of the national school in Dublin and she said they would have a place for my daughter. When I asked my girl if she would be ok with this arrangement for a few weeks, she was only too delighted as she will have her nana and cousins close by.

So it looks like Uncle Snowbie will get his wish to babysit our twins - isn't that nice of him - 3 cheers for Snowbie:D

Now there you go,helping you out as usual,problem solved.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement