Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog from the crescent killed

Options
  • 06-11-2006 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Well guys,

I heard some pretty bad news there on thursday,
    One of our neighbours had a little daschund puppy which got out through the side gate in the crescent and was run over by a speeding car.

I know ppl in the crescent should not have doegs, but this isn't the point, imagine if it was a small child that rand out the gate and was run over!!!

People the issue of bad parking and sppeding cars needs to be seriously addressed before a child gets killed!

Please take diligance in where you park so that you are not obstructing visibility and please slow down

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Perhaps it's time for speed ramps on either side of the spine road?

Luckily I don't have to use it as I'm in the first part of the Wood, but seeing the speed of some of the cars is terrifying when you think about kids playing in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Sitting on my balcony on saturday night i was shocked at some of the cars going up and down,
    Foot to the floor all of the way!
    One of the cars had to be doing at least 60 or 70 MPH!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Same thing happened to my brother in law last week, somehow his boxer pup got out and was hit by a car - travelling way too fast on a back road. The driver is now suing my brother in law for damage to his car???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Speed ramps are definitely a good idea. My dog got out one day and ran out onto the road and was only just missed by a car speeding in the middle of the day if he had hit my dog he was dead without a doubt. I was just asking people around when it would be a good idea to start letting my five year old out to play with his friends without my supervision but after hearing that it won't be for a long time. Unfortunatly I'm quite close to the spine road.

and unfortunatly the driver will probably win on the grounds that your brother "didn't control his dog" or something on the lines of that!

what a lovely country we do live in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

It's not just the spine road.
    I was walking to Superquinn through Gove yeseterday afternoon, there was this guy that had just finished washing his car, got in the car, and reversed extremely fast without any regards for anybody around back into front of his house (from further down)... it was frightening! The celtic-tiger-cub agro in action, I suppose... There were loads of kids playing in that cul-de-sac at the same time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

two things here as i see it,
    dog being out and not under controle,
    cars traveling and not able to stop in time.
    i know that wood and court committee have been looked at the traffic situation and are in the process of getting it under controle. people are right about the driving but its not just speed its indecators aswell not being used on roundabouts and junctions.

my thoughts anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Unfortunately dogs don't seem to grasp the indicator concept. They tend to just run about the place with no regard for the rules of the road. And as for kids, well they have no excuse.

MORE SPEEDING IN CHARLESLAND!!!

Lets not forget the fact that people don't seem to be able to use the roundabouts at all!!!

I don't know how many times i have seen this but it really infuriates me...
    Coming from Greystones people driving in the left lane, come to the charlesland roundabout and go all the way around the roundabout in the left lane to the charlesland entrance.

It drives me bloody mad!

I think somsone should send out a letter to all of charlesland on how roundabouts work!

Lets not forget the fact that people don't seem to be able to use the roundabouts at all!!!

I don't know how many times i have seen this but it really infuriates me...
    Coming from Greystones people driving in the left lane, come to the charlesland roundabout and go all the way around the roundabout in the left lane to the charlesland entrance.

It drives me bloody mad!

I think somsone should send out a letter to all of charlesland on how roundabouts work!

I may be one of the ones that drive you mad so :) Your pic on roundabout is correct and that's how I would normally use them all the time. But I think this was subject of great debate a while ago due to complication of the immediate exits off the rundabout etc, and I thought the final verdict was that if you are going to SQ or Grove/Park side you should stay in the left lane (coming from greystones) and if you're going to Court/Woods stay on the right lane... Must say this doesn't sound exactly right to me but isn't that what was said?

• Advertisement

I don't know but you would fail your driving test if you were to do that...

The right way to do it is to stay in the right lane up and through the roundabout and change lane when you get off the roundabout.

well I haven't failed it so I probably do/did it the right way :)

I agree that what you are saying is the proper way of doing it! But people seemed to have other ideas... And the other question is, would you get a chance to safely change lane between the two roundabouts -which is very short distance... i.e. would there be enough visibility to see -for example- the cars coming from around the corner. I don't really know!

Yes there's loads of room, I do it all the time, to go around the outside of the roundabout is absolutly dangerous, cutting across traffic at two points.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MuffinsDa wrote:
    I thought the final verdict was that if you are going to SQ or Grove/Park side you should stay in the left lane (coming from greystones) and if you're going to Court/Woods stay on the right lane... Must say this doesn't sound exactly right to me but isn't that what was said?

That's 100% correct, and of course indicate right when entering the roundabout if you're taking the 3rd or subsequent exit. But f--k all people seem to indicate exiting a roundabout, let alone entering it.

Eoin I think that maybe that verdict should be looked at as its in breech of the rules of the road and could eventually cause a crash.

Not only that the person who does it and causes a crash would be charged of dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention and failure to obey the rules of the road, all with possibility of penalty points/loss of license.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

The way I was thought about those round abouts was if I was taking the first exit off the roundabout I had to be in the left lane. If I was taking the second exit I could be in either the left lane or the right lane. If I was taking the third or going around the roundabout again I had to be in the right lane.

This makes sense to me as someone going into the left lane and taking the third exit is going to block someone from taking their exit if they are in the right handside lane.

Rightly or wrongly I indicate on the right of the roundabout unless I'm taking the first exit which has me indicating left. If I'm taking any other exit I indicate right until the exit then I indicate left.

Is this right?

see the diagram below

35548.jpg

The way I was thought about those round abouts was if I was taking the first exit off the roundabout I had to be in the left lane. If I was taking the second exit I could be in either the left lane or the right lane. If I was taking the third or going around the roundabout again I had to be in the right lane.

This makes sense to me as someone going into the left lane and taking the third exit is going to block someone from taking their exit if they are in the right handside lane.

Rightly or wrongly I indicate on the right of the roundabout unless I'm taking the first exit which has me indicating left. If I'm taking any other exit I indicate right until the exit then I indicate left.

Is this right?
    No.

For indicating on a roundabout:

Taking first exit: Indicate left
    Taking second exit: Pass first exit and then indicate left (ie. DON'T indicate right).
    Taking third or subsequent exit: Indicate right, then before taking your exit indicate left.

Of course if you drive a BMW or a Volvo which doesn't seem to have this equipment as standard, the above shouldn't apply.

:p

Eoin I think that maybe that verdict should be looked at as its in breech of the rules of the road and could eventually cause a crash.

Not only that the person who does it and causes a crash would be charged of dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention and failure to obey the rules of the road, all with possibility of penalty points/loss of license.

Matt

I don't think that's right Matt; you should stay in the left hand lane if you are going straight through (2nd Exit), and only take the right hand lane for 3rd or subsequent exits. The only time I would take the right hand lane when going straight through is if the 2nd exit has two lanes either way - like the road with the 4 roundabouts between Greystones and the N11.

see this link:
    http://www.irishmotoring.ie/car/rulesoftheroad/rules_of_the_road_driving_the_car.php

Relevant image here:
    http://www.irishmotoring.ie/cms/uploads/roundabout_new_002.gif

eoin_s wrote:
    I don't think that's right Matt; you should stay in the left hand lane if you are going straight through (2nd Exit), and only take the right hand lane for 3rd or subsequent exits.

But coming from Greystones our exist is the 3rd, not 2nd! (1: fairways, 2: towards jackie skelly/n11; 3:charlesland)

• Advertisement

No.

For indicating on a roundabout:

Taking first exit: Indicate left
    Taking second exit: Pass first exit and then indicate left (ie. DON'T indicate right).
    Taking third or subsequent exit: Indicate right, then before taking your exit indicate left.

Of course if you drive a BMW or a Volvo which doesn't seem to have this equipment as standard, the above shouldn't apply.

Nice sweeping statement there Mike :(

Especially as this BMW driver seems to be in the minority of people - in any car, let alone BMWs or Volvos - who does indicate correctly.

MuffinsDa wrote:
    But coming from Greystones our exist is the 3rd, not 2nd! (1: fairways, 2: towards jackie skelly/n11; 3:charlesland)

Sorry - I thought we were talking about the first roundabout in Charlesland - i.e. where Superquinn is the first exit, Grove is the 2nd exit etc.

I drive a bmw and i indicate properly

I drive a bmw and i indicate properly

Must be an optional extra ... how much did they charge you for adding indicating equipment to your beamer?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

Grrrrrrrr!
    Saw one DICKH*AD in a VW Golf last week. Took off from the roundabout at the bottom of the Spine Road and must have hit 70mph heading up the road before taking the last turn into Charlesland Court.
    Might just go out with the camera tonight and take a snap shot of this gimps car.
    All of these idiots should be named and shamed.
    One of these days a kid WILL walk out in front of a speeding car...hopefully we don't have to wait for this to happen for the Property Managers to get off their arses, introduce a One-Way system AND put in Speed Ramps.
    Condolences to the Dog Owner by the Way.
    RIP:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

back on topic...

speed ramps on the spine road are definitely a good idea - there should be ramps at each junction (like the ones at the entrance to the estate - ie the type that don't cripple your suspension but do slow you down). Particularly as there are houses on the Wood\Court side that face directly onto the spine road (bad design compared to the other side IMO, but too late to do anything about that now).

oh yeah, and there should be dished pavements on the central green - does any one on the committees know if there will be a snag list for the estate before the developers hand it over?

MuffinsDa wrote:
    Must be an optional extra ... how much did they charge you for adding indicating equipment to your beamer?! :)
    €749 +vat!

@The Yipper, Agreed but the one way system won't solve the onstreet parking issue.
    We're looking at a solution in the crescent of a parking permit system where each apt will recieve 1/2 passes for use with their corrosponding block of spaces etc etc.

A few spots will be allocated for visitors and if you don't have a pass or in a visitor spot you'll be clamped.

There's approximitly 70 cars in the crescent and our parking has reached a point were people are just plain parking dangerously!

One guy actually drives his car up onto the grass at the front of his main door to wash his car!!! Seriously Like.

I do think ramps will slow cars down, and god knows i HATE ramps but i think its the only solution, unless we put a speed camera in or something along the likes!

Sorry Eoin, forgot the smiley.

I drive a Volvo from time to time myself and MuffinsDa can testify to that!

:)

I do think ramps will slow cars down, and god knows i HATE ramps but i think its the only solution, unless we put a speed camera in or something along the likes!

Actually, how much does a speed camera cost (equipment + running cost)?!
    Can we not pay for a couple ourselves?! (for the Guards!)

• Advertisement

Would be an interesting option...
    Maybe something that the Overall Committee can look at?
    Is Donnacha online?

FYI
    Here's how to use a roundabout properly for everyone's information
    The diagram i provided above is correct but here is a more indepth description.
    http://www.irishmotoring.ie/car/drivingyourcar/roundabouts.php

People should not use the left lane to turn into the charlesland estate

Advertisement