Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog from the crescent killed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

Thaks for setting the score straight on the roundabouts, it's been driving me nuts ever since I moved in that people have no idea how to use the roads in general!

As for the generalisation on the BMW's and Volvo's as a Volvo driver I take exception to this!! Micra's now there is a different story all together!!!

Completely agree on the speed ramps in the area as there are far too many speeding cars about. As for the dogs and kids, can I suggest that tighter control be kept on them, as far as possible!! I understand that will start a chain reaction of abuse, but sometimes the driver is not the problem!

I had a near miss with a cat the other day. I know cats are a law unto themselves, but even when drivers are going slowly and an animal runs out in front it can be very difficult to stop! Thankfully kids are a little slower and therefore easier to stop for! Luckily the cat survived to live another day but I reckon there are a few less lives left in that kitty!! Please take care of kids and animals and also drive slower and more intelligently, then hopefully there will be less need for such posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Ice Man wrote:
    As for the dogs and kids, can I suggest that tighter control be kept on them, as far as possible!! I understand that will start a chain reaction of abuse, but sometimes the driver is not the problem!

Totally agree with you. Even in the small greens in each development, there seem to be kids who quite happily run/cycle/rollerblade about without a thought for traffic. I regularly see bikes, scooters and other toys left in the middle of the road. Parents should really educate their children about the dangers on the road. Even a slow moving car could cause serious or fatal injuries to a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

while I agree parents need to keep an eye on their kids, its inevitable that kids will play on and around the smaller greens. It is a residential area - people should drive slowly and keep their eyes open.

In addition to ramps I would be in favour of a 30km limit throughout the estate - I wouldnt expect the guards to be out with speed guns, but it would send the right message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

Lets not forget the fact that people don't seem to be able to use the roundabouts at all!!!

I don't know how many times i have seen this but it really infuriates me...
    Coming from Greystones people driving in the left lane, come to the charlesland roundabout and go all the way around the roundabout in the left lane to the charlesland entrance.

It drives me bloody mad!

I think somsone should send out a letter to all of charlesland on how roundabouts work!
    Agree with ure diagram matt but thats only a four junction roundabout in charlesland you have six junctions where they split for the spine road the outside lanes i.e. left hand lane should be used for all exits from that of super quinn and the next two exits up the spine roadthe insid lane should be used for those coming down the spine roads and turning in to superquinn or coming down and turning left to the sar on the second roundabout. the problem is that with six exit and entry points ther e should b 3 lanes on the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

thats not correct, the left lane on all roundabouts is for the first two lanes,
    after that its the right lane, stops cutting off traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

So if your taking the third exit off a roundabout that has five roads off it in total ( Say the exit for the court in my case when on the way into Charlesland ) Should I be in the right or left lane? I always stay in the left lane because I was taught you stay in the left lane unless your taking the last turn off the roundabout or making a u turn. If I'm in the right hand lane on the superquinn roundabout coming in from the main road and someone else is coming from superquinn and stays in the left lane I'll be cutting across them won't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

OMG - bloody hell - Now I am sooooooooooo confused, so for now I am sticking with the diagram, which is the way I drove around it anyhow! Or until Bertie catches me..............which from reading earlier mails I wld take it he's the right man for the job?!?!?!?:) But i could be wrong there....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Check out this diagram:

roundabout_new_002.gif

If you are taking the 1st or 2nd hand exit, use the left hand lane. For the 1st exit, indicate left before entering the roundabout. For the 2nd exit, only indicate left when exiting the roundabout.

If you are taking the 3rd or subsequent exit, use the right hand lane. Indicate right when entering, and left when exiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

Is this a "Learn to drive" thread, or what!
    The dimwit in the Blue Golf with the Galway reg who thinks the Spine Road is Monza, lives in the Crescent.
    Any idea who exactly, or what type of car murdered the dog?

unfortunatly i have no idea,

i must keep an eye out for the galway reg car though

• Advertisement

ps eoin, thats it spot on.

ps eoin, thats it spot on.

Cool, I think we were talking about different roundabouts previously which would have caused the confusion. Can't believe it's two BMW drivers who are bitching about people not indicating and using roundabouts properly!

It'll need to be both eyes Matt. He passed me yesterday on the SAR at something approaching Warp Factor 2.

And his indicators don't seem to work either!

eoin_s wrote:
    Cool, I think we were talking about different roundabouts previously which would have caused the confusion. Can't believe it's two BMW drivers who are bitching about people not indicating and using roundabouts properly!
    Is there a collective word for BMW drivers?

I can think of several that most people would use, but I have a feeling that they would be censored on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

eoin_s wrote:
    I can think of several that most people would use, but I have a feeling that they would be censored on boards.

Especially these boards.:mad: :rolleyes:

I know the guy you are talking about...then there is a girl in a white Integra Type R and a fella, a toooootal knob in a lt-green/cement grey Toyota Levin with an exhaust that should be shoved up his ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

"Can't Afford A Porsche"

difference between a bmw driver and a hedgehog...

prick is on the inside of the bmw

@mikedragon...
    sure that was me?
    i drive fast on the link road but not in the estate.
    Plus there's no point in indicating on the first two roundabouts, there's nowhere to go but straight, i always indicate coming into charlesland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Bertie

eoin_s wrote:
    Check out this diagram:

roundabout_new_002.gif

If you are taking the 1st or 2nd hand exit, use the left hand lane. For the 1st exit, indicate left before entering the roundabout. For the 2nd exit, only indicate left when exiting the roundabout.

If you are taking the 3rd or subsequent exit, use the right hand lane. Indicate right when entering, and left when exiting.

Yes but what happens when you have six exit entry points on a roundabout.Do you change lane in the middle of the roundabout
    LMC WHO SAID I WAS A MAN

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think Bertie might be referring to the famous Walkinstown roundabout...you wouldn't want to be new to the road challanging the six roads connecting that roundabout. They've made a good effort since of lining that roundabout out.

As for the roundabout leading to Superquinn, the Grove/Park spine exit, the Court/Wood spine exit and the Wood(1) exit: Left lane for Superquinn and the grove/park exits. Right lane for the rest including doing a u-turn to get back out of the development.

Matt, those roundabouts which lead to nowhere, you still gotta indicate coming off them!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

difference between a bmw driver and a hedgehog...

prick is on the inside of the bmw

@mikedragon...
    sure that was me?
    i drive fast on the link road but not in the estate.
    Plus there's no point in indicating on the first two roundabouts, there's nowhere to go but straight, i always indicate coming into charlesland
    Matt, I wasn't commenting on your driving. I don't know you, so wouldn't recognise you anyway!

I was responding to your post about keeping an eye out for the G reg Golf driver. My comment was about his speed, not yours!

Oh Astro, dog gets killed in road accident, you change your car...

Coincidence?

:)

Mike, I have no reason to go up to the Cresent in my nice new car. Secondly its nearly impossible to speed around the back of the Crescent considering the size of the car I got!

astrofluff wrote:
    Matt, those roundabouts which lead to nowhere, you still gotta indicate coming off them!

Don't need to, everyone is going in the same direction,
    Essentially they don't need to be there,
    Only time you need to indicate on those jobbers is if you're doing a u turn

Matt, I wasn't commenting on your driving. I don't know you, so wouldn't recognise you anyway!

I was responding to your post about keeping an eye out for the G reg Golf driver. My comment was about his speed, not yours!

Oh Astro, dog gets killed in road accident, you change your car...

Coincidence?

:)
    Oh right, I thought u were refferring to me and i was like, how does he know who i am, do i have a stalker, is he watching me... :D:D:D

Ah come on Matt, If you have cars coming in the opposite direction how do you expect they know whether you're going to go straight on or doing a u-turn. If you don't use your indicator they'll wait until you've gotten off the roundabout instead of receiving early warning. Do you get what I mean? If you don't, and I am no saint, use your indicators fully and correctly along with having good lane discipline then we won't make the roads any safer!

read the last line of my last post!

you actually don't have to use your indicators when going straight on, you only have to use them when exiting on those roundabouts.
    Although if you are making a uturn on them legally you have to indicate right when entering the roundabout.

Also you can tell where the car is going by the angle of the car on the roundabout

Very true about the angle and road positioning and I agree with your comment on relevant indicating to go straight or doing a u-turn. But you can't expect every driver to be as good as you and me and to know where you are going! You need to indicate coming off any roundabout...if you don't you'll end up with bad habits!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Bertie wrote:
    Yes but what happens when you have six exit entry points on a roundabout.Do you change lane in the middle of the roundabout
    LMC WHO SAID I WAS A MAN

I do apologise..........

We all have bad habits, but i don't think those roundabouts are any problem with anyone?

Its more the roundabout servicing the fairways and charlesland where people constantly use the wrong land to enter. You see it alot during the rush hour times, ie when the dart arrives!

Will anyone be attending the Charlesland wood AGM tonight, if so would you be able to query the management company of the cost of getting a speed camera installed on the spine road

• Advertisement

Astrofluff wrote:
    You need to indicate coming off any roundabout...if you don't you'll end up with bad habits!

Agree 100%.

Advertisement