Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up a wireless network

• 06-11-2006 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,

Getting 6mb NTL broadband installed today. Have 2 pcs and one laptop with built in wireless modem. What exactly do I need to buy to have all 3 up and running wirelessly ? Can anyone give me some advice! Never done this before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You won't need to buy anything for the laptop, obviously. You will want to get either an internal PCI WiFi card or a USB WiFi dongle (Komplett page) for each of the computers.

Next, you can either replace your supplied cable modem with a new one with integrated WiFi, or buy an wireless access point and connect that to the modem via the ethernet port. After that, its all a question of configuration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You won't need to buy anything for the laptop, obviously. You will want to get either an internal PCI WiFi card or a USB WiFi dongle (Komplett page) for each of the computers.

Next, you can either replace your supplied cable modem with a new one with integrated WiFi, or buy an wireless access point and connect that to the modem via the ethernet port. After that, its all a question of configuration.

which route would you reccomend ? New integrated wifi modem or buy a new access point ? Never done it before so dont know which is easier/cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

The USB adaptor is much easier to install.

Are NTL giving you a wireless router also? If you are getting just a normal router you will also need to buy a wireless router along with the USB adaptors. Better off buying the make in this case and look out for any combo deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Tusky wrote:
    which route would you reccomend ? New integrated wifi modem or buy a new access point ? Never done it before so dont know which is easier/cheaper.

Personally I'd go for the one router option (i.e. one router for both connecting to your ISP and to your LAN)

But to be honest they've both got complications:

If you use a second router you'll need to set the one that's connecting to the ISP to Bridged Mode so you don't have 2 networks when you only want one

and if you use just one, you'll need to set the ISP settings into the router (i.e. Encapsulation: PPPoE,Multiplexing: LLC Based, VPI: 8,VCI: 35)

Neither way should be too hard, but they'll both need a little fiddling :)

bucks73 wrote:
    The USB adaptor is much easier to install.

Are NTL giving you a wireless router also? If you are getting just a normal router you will also need to buy a wireless router along with the USB adaptors. Better off buying the make in this case and look out for any combo deals.

what do mean USB adaptors ? Instead of wireless network cards or.. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Exactly. The laptop has a wifi card already installed. The PCs need either a wifi card to be installed or a wifi USB adaptor that simply plugs into a spare USB port. Much easier in my opinion.

Have a look at this:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319195

Thats an example of a wireless router and down the very end of the page are the different wireless adaptors for this router.

Personally I would opt for the USB one as it is easier to install, replace and/or upgrade.

bucks73 wrote:
    Exactly. The laptop has a wifi card already installed. The PCs need either a wifi card to be installed or a wifi USB adaptor that simply plugs into a spare USB port. Much easier in my opinion.

Have a look at this:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319195

Thats an example of a wireless router and down the very end of the page are the different wireless adaptors for this router.

Personally I would opt for the USB one as it is easier to install, replace and/or upgrade.

great, so I just replace the cable modem with the wireless one in the link and get two of those USB adaptors and that should work fine ?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

FFS, do you guys even read these questions before you post answers?

NTL is cable broadband. That means that replacing the supplied modem with one that has built in wi-fi isn't an option. (I'm sure that there probably are cable modems with built in wi-fi, but you won't find one in Komplett or other Irish online stores, and even if you find one, there's no guarantee that it'll work on NTLs network). NTL Broadband is not DSL, so there's no "bridging mode", there's no Encapsulation, VCP and VPI settings.

NTL have been know to supply a wireless router IN ADDITION to the cable modem. But they don't do it by default, and if you didn't ask for it when you ordered NTL broadband, there's no guarantee that you'll get one. If the installer has one, and if it will save him having to do a complicated wiring run, he might give you a wireless router, and maybe even a USB wireless adapter to plug into your PC. But it's entirely pot luck as to whether you'll get that.

If you don't get the gear from NTL, Komplett currently has a bundle of a D-Link wireless router with 2 wireless adapters. They're PCI cards, so you'll have to open the case of your computers to install them, but it's not that big a deal. €90.00 is a pretty good price for the bundle.

Foxwood wrote:
    FFS, do you guys even read these questions before you post answers?

NTL is cable broadband. That means that replacing the supplied modem with one that has built in wi-fi isn't an option. (I'm sure that there probably are cable modems with built in wi-fi, but you won't find one in Komplett or other Irish online stores, and even if you find one, there's no guarantee that it'll work on NTLs network). NTL Broadband is not DSL, so there's no "bridging mode", there's no Encapsulation, VCP and VPI settings.

NTL have been know to supply a wireless router IN ADDITION to the cable modem. But they don't do it by default, and if you didn't ask for it when you ordered NTL broadband, there's no guarantee that you'll get one. If the installer has one, and if it will save him having to do a complicated wiring run, he might give you a wireless router, and maybe even a USB wireless adapter to plug into your PC. But it's entirely pot luck as to whether you'll get that.

If you don't get the gear from NTL, Komplett currently has a bundle of a D-Link wireless router with 2 wireless adapters. They're PCI cards, so you'll have to open the case of your computers to install them, but it's not that big a deal. €90.00 is a pretty good price for the bundle.

Hmm, just as well I didnt go ahead and get the other wireless router. Would have been a waste of money. Id prefer to go along the USB adaptor route if at all possible.

Advertisement