Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment agencies - name, shame (and praise)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 garbar

being out of work two months now and dealing with Recruitment agencies what a joke.went for a job with step one. got call to see a guy in there office went over had a nice chat about the postion.said he would do this that and the other said he call me the next day.so three days later he calls me and ask me can i go for a interveiw the next day said no problem.he also said he will email me my cv and cover latter to me with there logo to look over and see did i want to change so about 45 mins later he emails me someone else cv and cover latter.told him about his mistake and when he did email me mine one he said better things about him than me so why put me forward for job.anyway went for the interview in the shop had a good chat with the owner said he like me that he would ring me to cum over for a two day trial well that was 2 months ago.
    and also GHL sent them a cv at 2 on thursday and got a phone call that day at 4.the girl sounded every keen on me that would i come over that day to fill out papers and get a copy of my safe pass.so shot over she done all her bits and told me to wait for a phone call to start the next day so waited right to the end of the day so said i ring them and i was told they didnt get the go ahead.and am still waiting for that phone call.
    sorry for the long rant just p*** off with these guys giving me fasle hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

whatnext wrote: »
    Did the agency make a mistake?
    or
    did the potential employer change their mind?
    or
    did the potential employer make a mistake?

only curious, but it is possible your anger is directed at the wrong organization. It seems unlikely (to me) that an agency would make an offer on behalf of a client if they were not instructed to do so.

I don't know who made the mistake and honestly I don't really care, I am the "injured" party not her or the employer. She got my hopes up and so on and so forth, she is the one that I was dealing with, so whatever went on between the agency and the employer has nothing to do with me. The girl from the agency maybe misunderstood the job offer, the employer maybe made a hasty decision and later in the day had a last interview and met someone else, who knows, I wish sometimes I could be a fly on the wall, I cannot really comment on what went on between them, all I can say is that I was devastated by the news, and didn't stop crying the entire day plus Saturday!"

All she said to me was " unfortunately they decided to actually offer the position to someone else, and they wish to take back the job offer made to you" bla bla bla as I couldn't listen to her as tears were rolling down my face, I think I said thanks and hung up.

With regards to Ryanair what a joke, constantly when I was in college they were our main "priority" (HR) great study case I have to admit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

Anna23 wrote: »
    I don't know who made the mistake and honestly I don't really care, I am the "injured" party not her or the employer. She got my hopes up and so on and so forth, she is the one that I was dealing with, so whatever went on between the agency and the employer has nothing to do with me. The girl from the agency maybe misunderstood the job offer, the employer maybe made a hasty decision and later in the day had a last interview and met someone else, who knows, I wish sometimes I could be a fly on the wall, I cannot really comment on what went on between them, all I can say is that I was devastated by the news, and didn't stop crying the entire day plus Saturday!"

All she said to me was " unfortunately they decided to actually offer the position to someone else, and they wish to take back the job offer made to you" bla bla bla as I couldn't listen to her as tears were rolling down my face, I think I said thanks and hung up.

With regards to Ryanair what a joke, constantly when I was in college they were our main "priority" (HR) great study case I have to admit!

Fair enough - I'd hate to be your postman if there was a mistake on your credit card bill:rolleyes:

That was canceled a long time ago, trust me! I am not that bad, just very disappointed and let down by them. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

whatnext wrote: »
    Fair enough - I'd hate to be your postman if there was a mistake on your credit card bill:rolleyes:
    That's not a very fair analogy. The postman is hardly going to be calling up Anna23 saying "No worries, you don't have to worry about settling your May bill" before subsequently handing over a credit card bill for the month of May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

Malice_ wrote: »
    That's not a very fair analogy. The postman is hardly going to be calling up Anna23 saying "No worries, you don't have to worry about settling your May bill" before subsequently handing over a credit card bill for the month of May.

Have you a better one?
    If for arguments sake the employer had withdrawn the offer and Anna23 has no issue with them and only with the agent who delivered the message, where do you stand on that?

Was there an issue with references? perhaps, perhaps not.

However if the agent jumped the gun, which I can't see happening in this market, they have serious questions to answer.

Either way she has stated she doesn't care, the circumstances are irrelevant to her. Its the messengers fault as far as she is concerned either way.

We didn't get as far as references, and I do have good references, written and verbal ones.

And yes circumstances are irrelevant as I do not know them, all I know is that I was dealing with an agency 3rd party and they let me down, saying one thing in the morning, then another, she should have been more careful, or maybe she was a beginner (that's what some of my friends say) and she didn't really know how to deal with the situation. Anyway whatever happened happened and there is nothing that I can do now, it was last week on Friday, trust me I am well over it at this stage, and I hope to get something else soon. Maybe I have judged to fast, I was just very upset, and I am sure both employer and agency share the blame. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Cypher.

I've been dealing with lots of agencies recently.

Despite alot of people complaining about CPL, i have found them really helpful. They do a good pre-interview prep and try and get as much information back from you after an interview (to pass on to another candidate which is useful if you are the next candidate).

I've also dealt with Solas IT, who i found very poor. They asked me if i was looking for work and wanted to put me forward for jobs. So they sent my CV of to everywhere that was hiring. They tend to put you forward for jobs before you can see the job spec.

Good:
    CPL
    Eolas
    Archer

Bad:
    Solas IT

Ones i got nothing back through:
    Hays
    Berkeley
    ComputerFutures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

If anybody is looking for IT work in the UK, then I really can't recommend computer people highly enough. Friendly, professional and they really went above and beyond the call of duty for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 paddy328i

CPL - they (Ronan) fatso wont even get back to you after the interview and won't take your calls. FATSO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 acrmorris

So, to all you people out there in the same boat as me who have been unemployed for around 1 year, struggling (but by cutting out almost all social contact, managing) to keep up with mortgage payments, and staying out of trouble with other bills while trying to persuade agencies that you really would do the job they advertise better than anybody else, I have now found the perfect agency :)

I am an male accountant, 42 yrs and, having sent out over 200 cv's, have been told I am underqualified, overqualified, too much experience, too little experience, too young, too old and, finally (and, believe it or not, this is completely true) not female enough.

So, who is it that will do their absolute upmost to give the best impression possible of me? Who is it that doesn't care how old or young I am, and knows that if I am applying for a job, it is because I know I am able to excel at it? Yup - me!

I managed, during the course of 1 year, to secure 1 interview through agencies and none by emailing employers direct. So here is the key - you have to bite your tongue and cold call people. I hate doing it, but decided that if I don't, then nobody else will. It's pure common sense, but just sit down, get on the phone, do it, and be prepared to follow up with a visit to hand deliver a nice, crisp, gramatically correct CV. In two weeks, I have now had 3 interviews and accepted a position. Delighted is not the word.

Anna 23, don't waste your tears on somebody that doesn't care about you - I feel for you because 3 weeks ago I was in EXACTLY the same position and couldn't see how it would possibly improve, but go directly to employers as the personal touch could push your application through. One of the company's I spoke with said that they use 4 routes to employ these days - 1) Internal 2) By recommendation 3) Place their own ad 4) Use agencies - in that order pf preference. That means by the time you see the employer via the agency, 3 other steps have taken place and the post is probably filled. This is just common sense - which company these days will pay agencies rip off recruitment fees to get just 3 interviewees supposedly vetted by 'HR professionals'. I have never been interviewed for longer than 10 minutes by an agency, so they know nothing about me.

Also, sorry to preach here, but don't rely on job sites only - I accepted a position that wasn't even advertised and just persuaded the company that they needed me because of the value that I would add.

So to everybody out there, don't lose hope and, even if you are borderline long term unemployed, you have to believe in yourself and make others believe in you too.

Good luck with the search guys'n'gals

• Registered Users Posts: 25 acrmorris

Don't lose heart Anna23. Bite the bullet and move on. They are not worth the effort of getting upset about. There are positions out there, but you have to chase them, and I really suggest going straight to employers rather than via agencies - that definitely worked for me, although if (like me) you hate cold calling, then you really need to get your homework done first and try to predict what will come up in conversation (why would we want to employ you is a particularly bad one - hint - I said "because I have been unemployed for a year, I am sick and tired of being poor, and nobody will do this job better than I can")

• Registered Users Posts: 23 salesjobs.ie

July 2010

Why Recruiter’s don’t return your call’s.

A Short Story:

Recruiter’s get a very hard time from job seeker’s as they don’t see any value in what they do, just that they don’t return calls or keep you updated on your application.

To be fair to recruiter’s – they face a very competitive & highly time pressured work envoirnment and can only deal with candidates that are a very close match to what their client’s want - all other candidates, of which there are very many, will not get a look in – that’s just a fact.

The reason is that the employer’s, usually big blue chip companies, will give their job spec to 2-3 agencies and expect 2-3 cv’s back from each recruiter. They will then select only the top 3 candidates from the 6-9 cv’s submitted for interview so it’s very much a “race” to get the best cv’s in first – otherwise no placement fee’s / commission’s – hence the lack of time available to return calls / emails to unsuitable candidates.

On top of all this, a lot of HR managers / employer’s don’t give the recruiter’s any feedback on cv’s submitted as the cv’s are sitting on a line manager’s desk who is probably waiting on his financial controller to give the go ahead getting approval on hiring in the first place!!

And so, even when a candidate think’s his cv has been submitted for interview, it’s still out of the recruiter’s hands – all very frustrating for HR manager’s / recruiter’s and job seeker’s alike.

Top 10 tips on how to deal with recruiter’s.

1. Make sure your cv is very specific for the exact job you are most suitable for and cover’s the main facts / your ideal:

Job title,
    Industry or category (IT, Sales etc)
    Ideal location,
    Expected salary bracket,
    Top 3 skills (use keywords),
    Availability,
    All contact details,
    2 pages MAX.

2. Whatever your work experience, you will find from the job boards that there are a few names of recruiter’s that keep popping up in your industry. These will be your eyes and ears as to what’s going on in your industry – I suggest you get on their radar and stay there until you get fixed up – Also keep in touch every 6 months or so anyway

“The day you start a new job is the day you start looking for your next one”.

3. Send your Cv and make sure you keep in touch every few weeks using the main facts above, don’t expect them to remember you as they are dealing with about 20-30 candidates daily. Also, don’t take it personally when they don’t return your call’s – it just means they don’t have anything for you currently.

4. Try and get a face to face meeting with your selected recruiter’s if possible. This is very important as once they believe you will represent them well in front of their client’s, they will push for you all the more down the track. Dress well, clean shoes, nails, hair, etc – All the usual – be professional.

5. Make sure that if you see the same job spec with a few different recruiter’s, only send your cv to ONE and make sure you tell him / her also. This will build loyalty with the recruiter. Also, this will make you look better in the eyes of the employer, rather than getting your cv from 2, 3 or even 4 recruiter’s – you will just go in their “too hard” basket.

6. A lot of people spend time trying to figure out who the employer is behind the recruiter’s job description thinking they will stand a better chance if they can avoid the recruiter completely. Some employer’s do also try and get cv’s directly to reduce their agency costs but they get so many cv’s directly that chances are they will miss you anyway. If you’re the right person for the job and a well established recruiter has put you forward for the job, the HR manager’s will keep your cv as a priority anyway as they know the recruiter’s judgement is usually close to the mark.

7. If you feel your cv or interview skills could do with a makeover and you can afford the approx 150 euros, then I recommend using the likes of www.cvcoach.ie for Sales and www.Careercoach.ie for IT – Many other provider’s out there.

8. On your job hunt, make sure you keep a note (Pc, notepad, etc) of all calls made, cv’s / emails sent – when and to whom, conversations, ref’s of job spec’s, as it can become very confusing a few weeks down the line trying to remember what conversation you had with which recruiter about which job.

9. Remember, most experienced recruiter’s know your industry very well and if you select just 2-4 and make them your recruitment partner’s, chances are they will eventually deliver you a great new job.

10. If they don’t return any of your call’s or emails, don’t take it personally. It’s just that you don’t match what their clients are looking for at that time.

Happy job hunting

Niall Kelly – Director – 01 236 6636 – www.JobsOnLineGroup.ie (NOT an agency)

www.SalesJobs.ie www.ComputerJobs.ie
    www.AdminJobs.ie www.AccountantJobs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

Can anyone suggest a good agency for a guy trying to get into office/admin work? I'm based in Cork and have been out of work since September 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dancesatnight

done mean to sound mean but <snip> is a joke he put me in a job and after two days i hated a month later he came in to the office to touch base and i told i hated he said stick it out and let me in a week or 2 if i was still unhapppy so i waited and he said well im not putting u with any one else because ill be getting my comission off u in a month so there is no point so after 3 month of being in the job i had enough and walked out and then he rang me to give out **** and well i let him say his piece and then say well you only wanted the money fair enough and hung up he all so chated up on of my friends who was going for a job though them i personally feel thats an abuse of power ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

done mean to sound mean but a<snip> is a joke he put me in a job and after two days i hated a month later he came in to the office to touch base and i told i hated he said stick it out and let me in a week or 2 if i was still unhapppy so i waited and he said well im not putting u with any one else because ill be getting my comission off u in a month so there is no point so after 3 month of being in the job i had enough and walked out and then he rang me to give out **** and well i let him say his piece and then say well you only wanted the money fair enough and hung up he all so chated up on of my friends who was going for a job though them i personally feel thats an abuse of power ?????

Take it you were not working as a proofreader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Mezcita wrote: »
    Take it you were not working as a proofreader?

LOL, :) My very thought, although one important point was raised, re commissions, it shocks but yet does not surprise me these "consultants" discuss same and use it to encourage either candidates to take jobs or stay in jobs completely unsuited.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

done mean to sound mean but <snip> is a joke he put me in a job and after two days i hated a month later he came in to the office to touch base and i told i hated he said stick it out and let me in a week or 2 if i was still unhapppy so i waited and he said well im not putting u with any one else because ill be getting my comission off u in a month so there is no point so after 3 month of being in the job i had enough and walked out and then he rang me to give out **** and well i let him say his piece and then say well you only wanted the money fair enough and hung up he all so chated up on of my friends who was going for a job though them i personally feel thats an abuse of power ?????
    It certainly is; and very improper conduct. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

In my years of experience in dealing with agencies it is best sometimes to find a job yourself. That has always been the case for me. Over the years, in joining agencies, I have been made to feel, unworthy of being part of their recruitment programme, been made to feel like a two year old, and being sent job lists via an agency where the jobs did not fit my qualifications every time, even though I had made them aware of the fact. I applied many a time for jobs via agencies but was never contacted by them even for the ones I had applied for which were within my qualification range. So gave up and went hunting on my own and thus got a job because of it.

I am not saying all agencies are bad but there are deffo some that seem like they are so exclusive and stuck up about themselves that they make the feeling of wanting to work an exclusive part of society and look down on you from their reception desks and do not appear to have the time or consideration for you.

It's all about getting the interview now, whereas before if you applied for a job, you were guaranteed an interview, thus giving you some hope of getting it. I even remember FAS in the old days when it was called Manpower and there were Anco courses as well. Then you got to see someone called a 'placement officer' and he/she could give you a listing of jobs suited to you and sometimes ring on your behalf to arrange an interview. My how times have changed!

I opened my email this morning and found an email from an agency describing a job (which I do) then asked if I can help them fill it as I will get 100 euro for helping them (LOL, what a coincidence). Of course I had replied and said well I would be interested as I do have the experience and qualification (well I had 2 years over what they requested in the experience part). In my opinion that wasn't a big huge problem. Anyway I sent her the email that I am interested, and at 3 pm I get a call saying that thanks for the mail send me your CV (which I did, but she didn't see it) anyway sent it again, she told me she will call me to see if she can put me forward, I said OK (strange but went along with it). At around 3.15 pm I get another call from her saying that oh by the way you were meant to go for an interview with our company about 5 years ago (which I did, but didn't get the job) and you actually never showed up, I was a bit confused as I do remember the company they sent me to (an architecture company). Anyway to make a long story short, she advised me that I will not be putting you forward as she doesn't think I am a reliable candidate bla bla bla, I just hung up on her, but before doing so I advised her to take me off their system and never contact me again, whats the point!?! My questions is why did she bother sending me an email in the first place if something like that comes up in their system that I didnt show up for an interview( so she said)???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

merlie wrote: »
    In my years of experience in dealing with agencies it is best sometimes to find a job yourself. That has always been the case for me. Over the years, in joining agencies, I have been made to feel, unworthy of being part of their recruitment programme, been made to feel like a two year old, and being sent job lists via an agency where the jobs did not fit my qualifications every time, even though I had made them aware of the fact. I applied many a time for jobs via agencies but was never contacted by them even for the ones I had applied for which were within my qualification range. So gave up and went hunting on my own and thus got a job because of it.

I am not saying all agencies are bad but there are deffo some that seem like they are so exclusive and stuck up about themselves that they make the feeling of wanting to work an exclusive part of society and look down on you from their reception desks and do not appear to have the time or consideration for you.

It's all about getting the interview now, whereas before if you applied for a job, you were guaranteed an interview, thus giving you some hope of getting it. I even remember FAS in the old days when it was called Manpower and there were Anco courses as well. Then you got to see someone called a 'placement officer' and he/she could give you a listing of jobs suited to you and sometimes ring on your behalf to arrange an interview. My how times have changed!

RA's are a sham. They're just there like a canal to slow down the speed boats and speed up the barges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Various dealings with many down through the years.

One or two gave useful advice though didn't get me any interviews.

Problem I find is not so much the agencies as companies who allow 40 different agencies to advertise their 1 job 40 different times, each time with a subtly altered job spec enough to make it look like a totally different job. It seems difficult to bypass the agencies, even where I have applied directly and got interviews with companies sometimes I've had agencies call me up with the same jobs AFTER I've already been turned down and tell me they couldn't understand why!!

On the flip side there was one agency which placed me in my last job, until they placed a guy with us who ended up working with me who turned out to be one of the most unprofessional and incompetent people I've seen in 10 years in IT. Although of course, the colleague does put up a pretty good charade. I am sure there are lots of companies who are dissatisfied with applicants sent to them from agencies also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Top 10 tips on how to deal with recruiter’s.

My Top Tip: Don't put apostrophes where they don't belong. It makes ya look thick!

July 2010

Why Recruiter’s don’t return your call’s.

A Short Story:

Recruiter’s get a very hard time from job seeker’s as they don’t see any value in what they do, just that they don’t return calls or keep you updated on your application.

To be fair to recruiter’s – they face a very competitive & highly time pressured work envoirnment and can only deal with candidates that are a very close match to what their client’s want - all other candidates, of which there are very many, will not get a look in – that’s just a fact.
    Are you earning commission for every superfluous apostrophe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭KarlDrake

bluewolf wrote: »
    Are you earning commission for every superfluous apostrophe?

Excellent tip from Wikipedia

Those things over there are my husband's.
    (Those things over there belong to my husband.)

Those things over there are my husbands'.
    (Those things over there belong to several husbands of mine.)

Those things over there are my husbands.
    (I'm married to those men over there.)

Nobody recommend a good recruiter? Things look bad!!!

compo1 wrote: »
    Nobody recommend a good recruiter? Things look bad!!!
    You might be better off creating a separate thread in the Work & Jobs forum with your question as it doesn't really belong on this thread.

KarlDrake wrote: »
    Excellent tip from Wikipedia

Those things over there are my husband's.
    (Those things over there belong to my husband.)

Those things over there are my husbands'.
    (Those things over there belong to several husbands of mine.)

Those things over there are my husbands.
    (I'm married to those men over there.)

And "It's" is always "It is"
    It's never anything else.

Slasher wrote: »
    And "It's" is always "It is"
    No, it's can represent "It is" or "It has". For example "It's been raining all morning".

• Advertisement

Malice_ wrote: »
    No, it's can represent "It is" or "It has". For example "It's been raining all morning".

OK.

"It's"is always "It is" or "It has"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

CPL

Contacted about a Contract position

She spent a while convincing me moving from my permenant position to this contract position would be a good career move (my current job is rather stale)

Told me she would look after getting the interview

Never heard from again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ICTIRELAND

CPL

Contacted about a Contract position

She spent a while convincing me moving from my permenant position to this contract position would be a good career move (my current job is rather stale)

Told me she would look after getting the interview

Never heard from again

Hi, If you want to email me the details and who you were dealing with I will assure you that I will come back to you on this: ronan.mooney@cpl.ie or you can ring me on 016146035. Look forward to hearing from you

Regards, Ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Thanks to Ronan i have recieved contact and an apology

It's not the resolution i was hoping for (obviously i wanted to attempt for the job) but fair play to Ronan for getting on and involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ICTIRELAND

Thanks to Ronan i have recieved contact and an apology

It's not the resolution i was hoping for (obviously i wanted to attempt for the job) but fair play to Ronan for getting on and involved.

Glad I could help - And as I said in my mail keep the lines of communication open for future prospects. If I can be of any further assistance you have my details.

Thanks again,

Ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Can anyone advise on any good recruiters?

There must be a job out there somewhere for someone with a bizarre range of experience.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Can anyone advise on any good recruiters?

There must be a job out there somewhere for someone with a bizarre range of experience.:p

i too have a rather bizare range of experience but in order for people to help you out they might need your disciplines to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dancesatnight

i retract any and all statments its not my place to sway anyone else decision on a recruitment agency

i retract any and all statments its not my place to sway anyone else decision on a recruitment agency

Hmmmm, i wonder why the retraction? Your experience is pretty much similar to anyone i have spoken too, i am also curious about this CPL chap who seems to have taken rather allot of offense. A year now attempting to deal with agencies and they are all the same, posting jobs that don't exist, like vultures trying to harvest CV's and then bury them, little or no responses, communication etc even to applications sent forward. Its quite a bizarre business, i am bewildered as to how they actually function or make money. I like most people now bi pass agencies on recruitment sites, it is pointless to apply for jobs listed by agencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

i too have a rather bizare range of experience but in order for people to help you out they might need your disciplines to start off with.

Don't want to be too specific on a public message board.

Education: Politics, Economics, Law

Previous experience: Admin work, phone work, handling confidential data, catering, stocktaking, retail, data input.

Jack of all trades, master of none. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

Eden recruitment...they met me very quick and arranged an interview for me...i went to the interview and didnt do too bad...

A week later i get a call to say it looks like ill get a 2nd interview...a week and a half later and a few emails to Eden...they eventually get back to say the company are now reviewing the role..but its still available

2 days later i get a call from another recruitment agency..i tell him im currently waiting on word back from Eden in relation to a certain role with a certain company...he asked which company...so i told him..then he says the role was filled over a week ago with somebody he sent for interview!

Lucky for me i have a full time role and was looking to move jobs...but it must be awful to be out there looking for work and to be treated like dirt..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭markfdrums

im currently working but waay overqualified for what i do.

sent my cv off to a dude in sigmar about 7-8 times, rang him etc.. not one reply.

in regards to sigmar, they owe me the mother of all favours...

.....about 3 yrs ago i had just lost my job. rang them up and they sent me on a temp job a few days later.

get to the "office" - a small suburban house.

the job was basic admin for a translation company.

the job was fine but place freaked me out. i was working in a box room.

about two days into the job i came back from lunch and the manager said he just had a big fight with the owner and was leaving, asking me if i wanted to stay or go..

i wrongly picked the latter.

he signed my hours and legged it...

so im in this gaff on my own.. phones ringing etc..

i wait awhile and next of all i heard a noise downstairs..

so im in the gaff (which was a wreck to be honest) alone and i hear a noise.

so i go down to check it out.

nothing in the kitchen. sitting room door closes.

"taptaptap hello?" i say...

nothing. but i can hear a tv...

i slowly open the door to discover a man and a woman.

she's naked, he's passed out. needles on the floor.

i legged it without closing the door and ran down the road.

i laugh now but i could have been a young woman.

SIGMAR LADIES & GENTS.

Eden recruitment...they met me very quick and arranged an interview for me...i went to the interview and didnt do too bad...

A week later i get a call to say it looks like ill get a 2nd interview...a week and a half later and a few emails to Eden...they eventually get back to say the company are now reviewing the role..but its still available

2 days later i get a call from another recruitment agency..i tell him im currently waiting on word back from Eden in relation to a certain role with a certain company...he asked which company...so i told him..then he says the role was filled over a week ago with somebody he sent for interview!

Lucky for me i have a full time role and was looking to move jobs...but it must be awful to be out there looking for work and to be treated like dirt..

Yep, pretty much spells it out how agencies oporate, i am amused at the notion some agencies give about having exclusivity over certain Jobs postings, its hillarious the lenghts some go to disguise or alter specific roles they are advertising so as to appear they have exclusivity on the particular job. Two particular agencies are advertising for a position in a Hotel at the moment and yet the very hotel is advertising on three different sites, what candidates will be successful, those sent by agencies or those who apply directly? One of the agencies attempted not to disclose the location whilst listing off a thousand requirements for the Job and yet bizzarely included the name of the Hotel at the end of their posting, Gob****es i say

markfdrums wrote: »
    i legged it without closing the door and ran down the road.

Did you not ask her for your P45? :D

Seriously, what did Sigmar say when you told them what happened?

Sigmar had my p45.

They went mad in fairness to them. They paid me for the full week too.

Saying that, the lady i was dealing with said i was top of their list if i wanted work ever again.

pity she has since left.

I think the "business" was a cover for a knocking shop. it was a crack den.

which kinda makes me think should these guys visit new or unheard of companies??

they have no idea of the set up of these places.

Honestly I have managed to secure a job finally after a year and 1 month on unemployment myself with the use of NO agencies, and I am starting the beginning of September, but at least I have learned a valuable lesson while I was off work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Here's a crazy idea/question...

Why can you not hire an agency (like you would a solicitor for example), give them your CV, the type of job you want, and your salary expectations and let them find you a job?

I am so sick and tired of dealing with loads of agencies (often for the same job) only to never hear back from them again if they don't place you on the first attempt!

Then they get snotty if they find out you applied through a competitor as well.. the problem with this is that if (as has happened to me) you apply for a job, only to find out it's the SAME one you applied for last week, and thus tell agency #2 that you're already pursuing it... if agency #1 doesn't follow-up on it for you, you've lost out on the chance of maybe getting further with the 2nd agency!

The generic "we'll keep you on file" email is obviously a lie as I've never once been called by an agency I previously dealt with, asking if I'd be interested in a role they had - sure, I've gotten the again generic "hi there, please have a look at our current opportunities in <insert completely unsuitable role here> and please forward it to your friends" emails, but that's not what I mean!

I would genuinely pay to hire someone from one of the established agencies to be my sole point of contact in finding me a job that I'd actually be suited to and interested in!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Sigmar - Excellent.

Very long and detailed prognosis of my C.V. and lots of handy pointers. Very nice to deal with.

CPL ... very unimpressed with them.

Got in contact about 2 months ago and wanted to register with them. Was met with enthusiasm on the phone, you must come in ... and so on. Person who was meant to contact me to arrange this didn't. Rang 3 or 4 times and sent emails. Nothing.

Eventually I sent an email to someone else at CPL, who told me that employee x who was meant to contact me left, but employee y would contact me instead. Again, nothing.

I did manage to secure an interview with them. Passed the aptitude test with flying colours, all looking great. CPL didn't get back to me with an answer - twice. Eventually I found out I didn't get the job. No feedback further to that, which is REALLY annoying. Attending a 3 hour interview at the far side of Dublin doesn't cost nothing, the least I expect from anyone is feedback.

ahal wrote: »
    Sigmar - Excellent.

Very long and detailed prognosis of my C.V. and lots of handy pointers. Very nice to deal with.

CPL ... very unimpressed with them.

Got in contact about 2 months ago and wanted to register with them. Was met with enthusiasm on the phone, you must come in ... and so on. Person who was meant to contact me to arrange this didn't. Rang 3 or 4 times and sent emails. Nothing.

Eventually I sent an email to someone else at CPL, who told me that employee x who was meant to contact me left, but employee y would contact me instead. Again, nothing.

I did manage to secure an interview with them. Passed the aptitude test with flying colors, all looking great. CPL didn't get back to me with an answer - twice. Eventually I found out I didn't get the job. No feedback further to that, which is REALLY annoying. Attending a 3 hour interview at the far side of Dublin doesn't cost nothing, the least I expect from anyone is feedback.

Same old Pattern appearing time and time again, Candidates, make contact with these agencies, forward a resume, initially they are all over you like a rash, send you for the first Interview (you don't succeed and primarily because of additional competition) and hey presto, your dropped like a bad habit, as for the similar pattern about "Consultants not returning calls, replying to emails etc" again rampant in this Industry, the same old excuse "that consultant has left" is becoming tiresome and it seems they all use the same excuse, do what i did, call out of the blue, give a different name, ask for the consultant who did not respond and guess what, they never left at all.

Code of practice with the banks? me thinks this Industry needs one too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

two agencies

TTM healthcare- sent in my cv/ copy of degree/ transcript/ two references etc and did interview with them ..never heard anything back..

CPL- mixed- got me one interview but never heard anything back from them again (im healthcare professional just finished a temporary contract and the role was a professional one)

the 2nd job I applied was one temporary doing admin ..I did an interview with CPL and did great in the interview/ got on with everyone..told me i was more then qualified for the role..got me all excited..
    They called me the following week wanting me to 'discuss the role' further with their boss so i presumed this was just discussing salary etc..but the person was 15minutes late for the interview and (didn't apologise properly) and they didn't even interview me and just went through my cv and spent half an hour saying i don't have the technical/ computer skills (even though im doing a masters in computers) and more or less id never worked on a team (i have two year experience) ..anyway it sounded like they were using excuses as they got someone else for the role but i don't know why they wasted my time in calling me/ making me feel bad about my qualifications..she also said it would be a waste of time training me in as i would probably leave for something better (again presuming things)..and that I would have to come in for a third interview / technical test even though she said it wasn't really worth my while bothering as they wouldn't really consider me. this was for a job paying just over minimum wage..

sick of agencies not being upfront about things..that costs nothing in a recession!

• Advertisement
Advertisement