Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment agencies - name, shame (and praise)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Eoin wrote: »
    I don't think that's up to them to do. There might be overlaps in technology, but I don't think it's reasonable for them to know enough to say whether the overlap is applicable or if the candidate should have specific knowledge.

I think that they should be trained up a little on what's what though. In this case the sector is IT, so the recruiter should have know what the buzz words mean etc. It would benefit everyone involved.
    Let's say I was recruiting for an accountancy position, I wouldn't have a clue what any of the terms / technologies mean. Therefore, maybe I shouldn't be trying to pick the best candidates to put forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Prosperity.ie. Happiness works and all that bollocks.

Absolute joke of a company. There was an advert on their site advising grads to email their CVs, because they had lots of good roles available. Did that. Nothing. Fair enough, nothing going for me. Grand. Then they emailed me saying they might have a role. Grand I said, email it on. Nothing back. Bit peeved at their unprofessionalism, but whatever.

Then months later, they rang me up out of the blue asking me was I interested in X role as I had previously applied for a different role through them. I said yeah I would be interested. She said great, we'll email you on the job spec immediately. Nothing for two days. Emailed your one back. Nothing. Forgot about the entire thing, chalked it down to them just being absolutely ****, unprofessional and generally incompetent. Then she starts following me on Twitter about a fortnight later? What the ****? Is this like a mind**** thing or what? I really wanted to call her on it and ask her what she was at, but I didn't. I might have the misfortune of having to deal with their ****ing **** company again some day for a job I want. I'd love to name the two specific dozy bitches involved but I'd only be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sulkin

I interviewed for a role with Adecco nearly 6 weeks ago. This was for an internal recruitment position based in Cork! I subsequently contacted her looking for feedback, no reply! I don't mind being a no, but I do mind blatently being ignored. I subsequently tried to contact the Adecco Country Manager through LinkedIn (As there is no other way of attaining her email address) and she has chosen to ignore that. I wanted to lodge a complaint against the interviewer but since the Country Manager takes the same approach I'm afraid this may fall on deaf ears. I have got a new position in Cork but I'm still so mad that she has chosen to ignore an email looking for feedback. When I was interviewing, she was 20minutes late, which I didn't mind because she said she had family issues. What I did mind was she then went away and got herself a coffee from a coffee shop, before coming back to me ten minutes later to drink her coffee and interview me.
    One of the worst experiences to date and she claims to be "all about the people".
    Rant over *big sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Sulkin wrote: »
    I interviewed for a role with Adecco nearly 6 weeks ago. This was for an internal recruitment position based in Cork! I subsequently contacted her looking for feedback, no reply! I don't mind being a no, but I do mind blatently being ignored. I subsequently tried to contact the Adecco Country Manager through LinkedIn (As there is no other way of attaining her email address) and she has chosen to ignore that. I wanted to lodge a complaint against the interviewer but since the Country Manager takes the same approach I'm afraid this may fall on deaf ears. I have got a new position in Cork but I'm still so mad that she has chosen to ignore an email looking for feedback. When I was interviewing, she was 20minutes late, which I didn't mind because she said she had family issues. What I did mind was she then went away and got herself a coffee from a coffee shop, before coming back to me ten minutes later to drink her coffee and interview me.
    One of the worst experiences to date and she claims to be "all about the people".
    Rant over *big sigh*

I don't know this lady personally but I have heard through people that she is extremely unprofessional. The turnover there is quite high also I believe. You probably had a lucky escape. Appalling treatment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭franco25

People should not consider linkedin as gospel - cmanager has moved on from that role stated on Linkedin!

why would they get back to u if they no longer work for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sulkin

franco25 wrote: »
    People should not consider linkedin as gospel - cmanager has moved on from that role stated on Linkedin!

why would they get back to u if they no longer work for the company.
    The manager hasn't left, I rang to speak to her yesterday but she's at meetings in England and will get back to my query ASAP! Interesting enough I emailed the said interviewer in Cork yesterday looking for her managers contact details and I'd an email back within 30seconds asking could I give her a call, "it would ne great to catch up on my situation" needless to say I replied and said it was ok thanks, I just needed to Speak to her manager. It's funny how fast a reply you can get when they've something to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Lotus technical services-Abysmal

Have contacted me several times offering me roles. Each time they ask for an updated CV tailoring it to show my experience for the role. They then give me an update saying there will be an interview in the next few days. Thats when the communication stops. Nothing.

If I try and call them they don't answer and they don't respond to my emails.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Morgan McKinley (Premer Recruitment). Typical agency. When you are wanted they are all over you but when I called re help after a mtg with my ex-boss the 2 recruitment consultants could not have bothered. had a mtg with them yesterday about why I left my position. The vacant faces told me everything I needed to know. Uselss beyond belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

janullrich wrote: »
    Morgan McKinley (Premer Recruitment). Typical agency. When you are wanted they are all over you but when I called re help after a mtg with my ex-boss the 2 recruitment consultants could not have bothered. had a mtg with them yesterday about why I left my position. The vacant faces told me everything I needed to know. Uselss beyond belief.

I met with one of the consultants last year to discuss a recruiter role with them. After going through the job description etc. I decided it was not for me at the meeting. Upon leaving she assured me they would be in touch regarding HR roles bla bla bla never heard from them again. SMUG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I'm not defending the agency, but why did you ring them looking for help after a meeting with your ex boss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

I was employed by the agency not the bank. Therefore (and this is why they get twice as much per hour then their employee does) if you have any difficulties or greivances or difficulties first point of call is the agency for advise or support in the matter. Naturally now I know that this was the wrong choice as they basically did not give a **** what my problem was. I suppose I was looking back stupid and naive as they were very supportive and nice before I got the job. However when anything goes wrong they simply do not want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭monariek

this is very true of them. i eventually stopped answering their calls. they call at set times. i could nearly time it to the minute every friday evening that they'd call. the bullsh1t their recruiters speak is off the scales as well

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

I could go on for ages about recruitment agencies....but I'll keep this one short. Brightwater gave me a right going over when I had to go on jury service when I was temping for them. They claim I could've pulled out of it and threatened with replacing me. I held my own saying that they'd have to speak to the judge if they wanted to do that.
    Kelly Services in the city centre and La Creme in D4 are sh*t at getting back to me when I ring or email them. Sigmar haven't been able to get me a job despite being with them for four years. Ditto Eden Recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 javarlz

I wouldn't recommend Vero/Gempool.

They deal with their candidates like they were stupid.

Also everyone knows that there's a lack of software developers in Ireland but they still behave like they have plenty of good candidates to choose and don't respect you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 millermcnutt

I google'd 'MERMAID GROUP' the word SCAM came up and I ended up on here. Hello everyone! I live in the US-Kentucky. I applied for a position (RECEPTIONIST) on a Cruise Ship. I was contacted by someone at THE MERMAID GROUP. I was asked if I wanted to proceed, I replied "yes" and the next step was to see if I would be "short-listed" which I WAS! So the next step is to take a 'PSYCHOMETRIC TEST' The Mermaid Group (just so happens...imagine that) to have an ebook which you can download (at a 20% DISCOUNT...and get for ONLY $32.12USD) this book was 'SUPPOSE TO HELP YOU, AND PREPARE YOU FOR THIS TEST' It was basically 'THE MOST IMPORTANT THING' you could ever do [purchase this book]. Well...you can follow my post on here (by typing in MERMAID GROUP I assume) I just typed A WHOLE PAGE on the situation, and my fingers are getting tired, so check it out if you want a response about THAT PARTICULAR RECRUITING AGENCY (they are in The UK).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What a shower of *****....

My husband's already registered with them, and has been for about a year. Gave them copies of his licences, CV, references. Sat an aptitude test. All good.

Saw an advert for a job with then on Recruit Ireland. Rather than send through the CV again, he called the agency. Went in to see them this afternoon. What a waste of time. He had to bring in his licences, CV and references, and sit the aptitude test AGAIN!!

Of course, there was no bloody job. The recruiter 'dangled' the 'possibility of a role' a couple of weeks down the line. Another fishing expedition which was just an ego trip for the recruiter.

Guess we won't be holding our breath then! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Ive had quite similar experiences to most here - recruiters are all over you if you fit a job description, otherwise good luck!

Two positive experiences Ive had were with Robert Walters Recruitment and Martina Hennessy at Horizon Recruitment. Martina even advised me as to my rights to equal pay and holidays when I started a temp position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

I personally had excellent experiences with Morgan Mackinely, was offered numerous jobs and was sent for 2 interviews with 2 well known companies(got offered one of the job but not the other) after the failed interview the recruiter rang me with feedback and how i could improve!! She also met me before the first interview giving me loads of helpful info. I found she always rang when she she said she would.

But the best experience hd to be with Kenny whelan they got me my new job which im starting in 2 weeks :D nd the girl was brilliant couldnt be better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

How do people find Allen Recruitment?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 chattycatty

What a waste of space they are..I have never been out of a job and I have worked in several places and all the jobs I have got have been from employers themselves..thank god..

They are time wasters who are glorified idots who think highly of themselves and believe they have the god given right to belittle people looking for jobs, in my job search's I never apply to them anymore I exclude agencies in my search as my time is more important their sales code call (they are on commission) and the sooner Irish people stand up to these agencies the better as we are all better than that..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I've had good experiences with Morgan McKinley and Lincoln. Can't say the same for Manpower & Michael Page Recruitment. Would not deal with them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

I have to say Prosperity put many of the other agencies to shame. Dealing with a lovely girl in there @ the moment, no BS, Knows exactly what direction to steer my careerpath, already interview lined up for great company with a couple more in the Pipeline - & all this since yesterday! Very quick turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

Hi! Sorry to hijack the thread... Just wondering, I registered with a recruitment agency 3 months ago and I haven't heard a THING from them since... Is this normal?

Sadly, yes. Have you been in contact with them again?

Sadly, yes. Have you been in contact with them again?
    Yeah, emailed once about a job and got no reply.... I'm a graduate with no experience so I guess I'm scared theyre ignoring me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ac10

sanna wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned Grafton Recruitment.

Utterly useless well the one in D12 is, they dont reply to emails, calls, cant be arsed with follow up, signed with them nearly 2 yrs ago and only now am I getting text messages about roles that are in fricking Antrim, hello my file says no car and public transport usage only!!

The pay is crap they take 150 of my wage each WEEK!! and when you ask for more money tell you to ask the company your contracted too!! The receptionist is horrible !!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Have to mention Eolas Recruitment, although they seem to have been mentioned here several times. Last year I got a IT contract job for 3 months through them. It was my first time contracting so I maybe was a bit naive. Anyway, they told me when I started that the employer had offered 300 per day. I later found out through the employer that they were paying 400 a day for my services, obviously unknown to me Eolas were skimming 100 per day
    Now I have no problem with them being paid for their services, either paid by the employer for their services, or maybe take a nominal amount off my rate, but 100 EVERY DAY!, thats 500 a week, 2,000 per month, adds up. Essentially all they did was email my cv and set up the interview
    Lessons learnt I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

De Dannan wrote: »
    Have to mention Eolas Recruitment, although they seem to have been mentioned here several times. Last year I got a IT contract job for 3 months through them. It was my first time contracting so I maybe was a bit naive. Anyway, they told me when I started that the employer had offered 300 per day. I later found out through the employer that they were paying 400 a day for my services, obviously unknown to me Eolas were skimming 100 per day
    Now I have no problem with them being paid for their services, either paid by the employer for their services, or maybe take a nominal amount off my rate, but 100 EVERY DAY!, thats 500 a week, 2,000 per month, adds up. Essentially all they did was email my cv and set up the interview
    Lessons learnt I suppose

Lesson learnt? You've accused the company of stealing from you ffs. Skimming - nope, you will have agreed to work that contract at the rate you were paid, and the 100 euro, which has nothing to do with you btw, is clearly the fee agreed between the
    Company you carried out your duties with and the recruitment group. These fees are paid to recruitment companies for many reasons:

providing temp contractors so that companies dont need to have head count on their own books;
    because they don't have the resources to have their internal recruitment team searching for staff;
    Or simply because they don't have a person with a particular skillset in their network that they can approach themselves and this need someone else to source options for them.

Whatever about recruitment consultants not knowing jobs or whatever the general gripe is, you clearly don't understand the recruitment industry, so dont accuse a company of skimming your pay, that's just ****ty behaviour on your part. plus, I'd suggest your own lack of commercial awareness suggests to me that if you wanted to source contracts yourself without getting options put in front of you by agents, you'd seriously struggle if that's the 'lesson' you learned.

genericguy wrote: »
    that's just ****ty behaviour on your part.

pot, kettle? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

yeah another waste of space, registered with them a while back, the consultant who looked rather bored:rolleyes: while asking me about m CV said they would be in touch and nothing at all, also the Panel, Lex Consultancy, Accountancy Solutions and Sigmar are all a complete and utter waste of time like the vast majority of the parasites in recruitment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

lila44 wrote: »
    genericguy wrote: »
    that's just ****ty behaviour on your part.

pot, kettle? :rolleyes:

I can't find any context for your comment, what do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Simon O'Regan, sound lad and did a lot for me when I was applying
    Was with Executive Connections a few years ago , now with CPL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

I'm new to Ireland and in the past in other countries where I've worked I've been happy to use recruiters almost exclusively. But here I haven't found them helpful at all. I can accept that it is a very tough market at the moment and understand that they may be too busy to reply to each and every potential candidate but it's when they do get in touch that i expect professionalism. Things like not calling when you've arranged to speak or abruptly ending communications that you've had over a particular role are galling. When I deal with a recruiter now I simply never expect to ever hear from them again. I've vacillated between using them and not but I've once again reached a stage where I ignore jobs that recruiters post and apply directly to employers. The only joy I've had in Ireland has come about in this way. It's just a pity that a large majority of companies feel the need to outsource their HR's department responsibilities.

I just want a job. I want to work. I've years of good experience in my field and have relevant qualifications. But it feels like you have to get one of these recruiters to be on your side and represent you; then, and only then, you'll be touted off to their clients. In my opinion I shouldn't have to go through this step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I've experienced the massive pain in the arse of recruitment agencies from both points of view.

I've had to sift through tons of CV's from mainly totally unsuitable candidates with their CV's being sent by recruiters who never had any authority to advertise our openings.

And before that I've been the poor sod who blindly took phone call after phone call from these self important gob****es and nievely swallowed their tripe about what THEY were looking for and what a brilliant fit I was for several of their roles ... .bla bla bla

It's always better to apply to a company directly. There's a couple of problems with that too. Not all company's advertise their up to date opportunities on their websites. And of course, in order to actually look at a company's website, you first have to have heard of them.....and there's often some great openings in companies you never knew existed!

The way I would do it is to humour the recruitment agent until s/he tells you who the company is, then say your CV has already been sent there by another agency, go on the company's website and apply directly if it's there. You'll notice alot of companys have made it quite a lengthy task to apply via their website. This is on purpose. It weeds out the chancers who think nothing of throwing out their CV to dozens of companies if it's just a simple matter of uploading it. If you're genuinely a good fit for a role, and you're genuinely interested in working for the company, you'll take the time to complete the process. So do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Hey guys, has anyone had any experience with CPL?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

I lurk you long time.

I saw an ad by CPL on a jobs website for 140 warehouse operatives. I applied. The application questions they asked were littered with spelling mistakes. A few weeks later the exact same advertisement with the exact same spelling mistakes was posted by what I believed was an entirely seperate recruitment company, Noel Recruitment. Either none of the 140 positions had been filled in that time or they post jobs that don't exist. Are you fluent in english? Are you asking because you're worried I'll steal your job? I applied for a job with a semi-state company yesterday. Today that job is being advertised, with spelling mistakes, by Gilligan Black Recruitment on behalf of their "client". The job has a direct application process and I'll mention it here but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

Frustrating.

ehmjay wrote: »
    I lurk you long time.

I saw an ad by CPL on a jobs website for 140 warehouse operatives. I applied. The application questions they asked were littered with spelling mistakes. A few weeks later the exact same advertisement with the exact same spelling mistakes was posted by what I believed was an entirely seperate recruitment company, Noel Recruitment. Either none of the 140 positions had been filled in that time or they post jobs that don't exist. Are you fluent in english? Are you asking because you're worried I'll steal your job? I applied for a job with a semi-state company yesterday. Today that job is being advertised, with spelling mistakes, by Gilligan Black Recruitment on behalf of their "client". The job has a direct application process and I'll mention it here but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

Frustrating.

Ugh, I am so sick of recruitment companies. I think Grafton Recruitment have to be the worst, along with La Creme! >.< A lady rang me from Grafton two weeks ago saying she had an immediate job for me and that she was sending over my details, blah blah blah, the usual. What is more frustrating is that she said she would call on a certain date and then never call. And then eventually I might get through, and she would apologise and tell me that she will get back to me on a certain. And now she has just stopped taking my calls altogether.

Two weeks later, still no job and she's not taking my calls.

La Creme brought me in for an interview, took my details and I heard nothing back, they said there was a position available. >.<

So sick of them! What a shower! I had two interviews with two different companies this week, it was nice to deal directly with the company for a change.

In fairness to CPL, at least they keep me posted not like the other two, putting up jobs that aren't even there. >.<

Grafton? I had dealings with them. Nice lady, but didn't have a Scooby...

As for La Creme? Man, don't even get me started!!! Shower of ***** doesn't even begin to cover it. They even have their own Hall of Shame thread here

Grafton? I had dealings with them. Nice lady, but didn't have a Scooby...

As for La Creme? Man, don't even get me started!!! Shower of ***** doesn't even begin to cover it. They even have their own Hall of Shame thread here

I see Ann was a big help.....

Ugh La Creme are at the top of the list for being the most unprofessional. I am so annoyed with them, called me in for an interview and wasted my time. They didn't even give me any advice on my CV or interview tips. Absolute time wasters. >.<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Got an email on from CPL telling me start date for a call centre job I applied for and asked for my availability next week for interview (this is after a call offering another job that was within my notice period in work so I couldn't take it, so I was put on the list for the next one that came up). Having emailed them back on Monday, should I follow up with an email today asking for an update, or is that pushing?
    Sorry if this is off topic, just wondering. Thanks.

Got an email on from CPL telling me start date for a call centre job I applied for and asked for my availability next week for interview (this is after a call offering another job that was within my notice period in work so I couldn't take it, so I was put on the list for the next one that came up). Having emailed them back on Monday, should I follow up with an email today asking for an update, or is that pushing?

Who are you dealing with in CPL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

maguic24 wrote: »
    La Creme are at the top of the list for being the most unprofessional.

Yeah my dealings with them were almost unbelievable. It was in a professional capacity (I wasn't using them to find a job) and they were the most arrogant, rudest people. They literally told me to **** off. (Long story).

Also, you're not being pushy, its a recruitment company! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Dealing with Jo-Anne in the Cork office. Emailed and didn't get a reply today.

Awh, I thought you might have been dealing with CPL Dublin, don't know any good recruiters in Cork. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Good thread

Would suggest you call her then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

uberalles wrote: »
    Good thread

Absolutely. Should be a sticky.

I'm really surprised more of them haven't gone to the wall over the last 4 years. They seem to have few jobs advertised at all that actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 su27

I thought different agencies not answering my applications and e-mails is because of me living outside Ireland but I see now they are equally ****ty for everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

su27 wrote: »
    I thought different agencies not answering my applications and e-mails is because of me living outside Ireland but I see now they are equally ****ty for everyone :)

could i just say, and this would apply for alot of people. i see around 150 CV a day. Most people are just applying for jobs out of the blue, with very little or no experience in the related field. many people also send in very poor cover letters, or emails. many i get have no subject bar or information in the email to let me know who they are, or what they want. If Einstein himself sent me a CV this way, it would be right into the bin.

Just make sure all your stuff looks in order before you send it, you need an email to be eye catching to stand out for someone who reads loads a day-

• Advertisement
Advertisement