Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment agencies - name, shame (and praise)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

I meant per month.7

I dont get how my hourly rate is 12.82

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ebayissues wrote: »
    I meant per month.7

I dont get how my hourly rate is 12.82

Eh, are you saying you earn 25k per month?

I don't really get your question overall tbh.

Your hourly rate is your total number of hours worked in a year and your salary divided by that. If you do it on the basis of four weeks in a month that's wrong as you are missing four weeks of the year.

lol 25k per month. haha

A = 12.82 per hr x 37.5hrs x 4weeks = 1923 per month, 1923 x 12months = 23076

B = 12.82 per hr x 37.5hrs x 52weeks = 24999

What am I doing wrong as A & B aren't the same ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lol 25k per month. haha

A = 12.82 per hr x 37.5hrs x 4weeks = 1923 per month, 1923 x 12months = 23076

B = 12.82 per hr x 37.5hrs x 52weeks = 24999

What am I doing wrong as A & B aren't the same ?

With your first calculation you are assuming that there are four weeks in a month, so only totalling 48 weeks of a year.

Best to get the 24999 then divide by 12 to get your monthly pay gross, which should be approx. 2085

Thanks.

I'm new to the world of work,so all this is new to me.

You're actually right, a month as 4.348 weeks.

Ha well I'll see what happens when I get my first pay check.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I'm having trouble with some not responding at all which I find a bit crappy. At least a sorry you're not what we're looking for would be nice, CPL being the main culprit so I think I'll be avoiding them going forward.

Who are some of the better ones to deal with regarding IT jobs? There's 91 pages in this thread so I'd prefer not to trawl back through all 91 pages. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't really add much to what's been said - agencies are a complete waste of time (theirs and mine) in my experience.

I am in a fairly senior role now but do entertain the prospect of "options" so I'll take the calls but even after going through my experience and telling them IN DETAIL what I want, where I want it, and how much I want I STILL get stupid emails and follow-ups from them.

As for certain agencies trying to act as an employer as well.. you must be joking! They can't even get the recruitment side right, no chance would I trust them as my direct employer.

I've said this before but what I'd love is if you (as an individual) could hire an agency/agent, give them your details and what you want and then they go and find you a job. Same idea as hiring a solicitor or estate agent.
    When they do place you they get paid (as a percentage of your salary for the first year for example). Plus that way they'd have to compete on service which wouldn't hurt a lot of them either.

Don't know why they don't offer this. Be a lot better than the throwing darts at a board approach they have now and annoying people (on all sides) in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Can't really add much to what's been said - agencies are a complete waste of time (theirs and mine) in my experience.

I am in a fairly senior role now but do entertain the prospect of "options" so I'll take the calls but even after going through my experience and telling them IN DETAIL what I want, where I want it, and how much I want I STILL get stupid emails and follow-ups from them.

As for certain agencies trying to act as an employer as well.. you must be joking! They can't even get the recruitment side right, no chance would I trust them as my direct employer.

I've said this before but what I'd love is if you (as an individual) could hire an agency/agent, give them your details and what you want and then they go and find you a job. Same idea as hiring a solicitor or estate agent.
    When they do place you they get paid (as a percentage of your salary for the first year for example). Plus that way they'd have to compete on service which wouldn't hurt a lot of them either.

Don't know why they don't offer this. Be a lot better than the throwing darts at a board approach they have now and annoying people (on all sides) in the meantime

Unfortunately it's illegal under the Employment Agency Act, 1971 and the Employment Agency Regulation Bill 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Hi,

Just a quick question on how recruiters get paid.

Do they take a % of your daily rate for a period of time or for example if a company were willing to pay € 400 a day if the recruiter could get the client to agree to a daily rate of €300 they would pocket the extra € 100 for a period of time ?

Basically is it in the recruiters interest to get the highest daily rate possible for their client ?!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Hi,

Just a quick question on how recruiters get paid.

Do they take a % of your daily rate for a period of time or for example if a company were willing to pay € 400 a day if the recruiter could get the client to agree to a daily rate of €300 they would pocket the extra € 100 for a period of time ?

Basically is it in the recruiters interest to get the highest daily rate possible for their client ?!

Thanks!

The company ask an agency to find a contractor at a daily rate of X. The agency add percentage Y (10-30% dependent on many factors). The company that hires you pay X+(X*Y)=Z. That remains in place the entire time you stay in the company if you increase your rate Y normally remains the same percentage but obviously the agency get more money.

The agency has very little interest in getting you a higher rate as it means so little to them. €300*20%=60 if you managed to increase your rate by €100 they would get an extra €20 which would probably keep them happy but you aren't going to get that much difference it much more likely to be €10-€50 so €2-€10 extra a day to them.

As the client may actually say no or be annoyed will stop the agency asking in most cases. The actual agent may also not get any increase in commission so has no interest in rocking the boat. I have been told by an agent that the company said no to an increase but when I was leaving the boss had never been asked.

As for cutting out the agent the chances are the company will not pay you Z as they know you aren't with an agent. You may get half of the commission and extremely unlikely to get the entire amount. Many companies won't even hire you on contract without an agency.

You can negotiate the rate with the agent as time goes on. Some do it and others won't. They way they look at it is you leave they can get another person in and get their full commission.

It is actually a thing the government should legislate for in order to keep their own costs down and help businesses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

One thing I am amazed of is the amount of jobs advertised by recruitment agencies compared to direct employer on irishjobs, recruitireland etc.

I was working in UK for a while and most jobs were directly from employer as far as I can see.

Furthermore the job specs are scant on detail of particulars and more often than not the employer is not mentioned, so it is very difficult to know what the job is, at first glance.

I absolutely hate looking for work and applying through agencies, but in Ireland it seems necessary evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 O_L

moreau wrote: »
    One thing I am amazed of is the amount of jobs advertised by recruitment agencies compared to direct employer on irishjobs, recruitireland etc.

I was working in UK for a while and most jobs were directly from employer as far as I can see.

Furthermore the job specs are scant on detail of particulars and more often than not the employer is not mentioned, so it is very difficult to know what the job is, at first glance.

I absolutely hate looking for work and applying through agencies, but in Ireland it seems necessary evil.

Recruitment agencies don't necessarily have all these jobs on file and are probably not actively looking to fill them. What they are doing is filling their CV database by posting jobs they see elsewhere or ones that they make up to broaden their CV database. From working in recruitment in the past, out of every 10 jobs a recruitment or agency posts on job sites, possibly 8/9 of those are there to build databases of CV's and perhaps 1/2 of them are genuine positions actively being recruited for. That's why most of the time it's a waste of time applying through agencies. You'll get a call off the agency and hear no more as the job doesn't exist or they aren't involved in the recruitment of it 90% of the time.

O_L wrote: »
    Recruitment agencies don't necessarily have all these jobs on file and are probably not actively looking to fill them. What they are doing is filling their CV database by posting jobs they see elsewhere or ones that they make up to broaden their CV database. From working in recruitment in the past, out of every 10 jobs a recruitment or agency posts on job sites, possibly 8/9 of those are there to build databases of CV's and perhaps 1/2 of them are genuine positions actively being recruited for. That's why most of the time it's a waste of time applying through agencies. You'll get a call off the agency and hear no more as the job doesn't exist or they aren't involved in the recruitment of it 90% of the time.

Nice insight, thanks.

Do you have any advice as best approach, or links?

I am thinking cold calling prospective employers may be a good way to access this 'hidden job' market I am always hearing about.

Probably will annoy a lot of people (mostly secretaries), and maybe get some aggressive replies to f off, but I just think I need to be more aggressive myself (in my approach, I will be nice as pie on the phone:rolleyes:).

I currently have temp work and apply on and off as time permits, but if this ends I think I will take out the excel spreadsheet. As someone once said, when you are out of work looking should become your 9-5 job, and approach it with as much technicality/research as required!

PS I cannot imagine your job satisfaction was very high in recruitment, sounds soul destroying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

made the mistake of accepting a recruiter from computer futures on linkedin.

spam central, getting emails from their german office written in german, job specs that aren't even in my field.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 O_L

Nice insight, thanks.

Do you have any advice as best approach, or links?

I am thinking cold calling prospective employers may be a good way to access this 'hidden job' market I am always hearing about.

Probably will annoy a lot of people (mostly secretaries), and maybe get some aggressive replies to f off, but I just think I need to be more aggressive myself (in my approach, I will be nice as pie on the phone:rolleyes:).

I currently have temp work and apply on and off as time permits, but if this ends I think I will take out the excel spreadsheet. As someone once said, when you are out of work looking should become your 9-5 job, and approach it with as much technicality/research as required!

PS I cannot imagine your job satisfaction was very high in recruitment, sounds soul destroying

Not sure about cold calling prospective employers. As you said you'll p*ss off a lot of "secretaries", but secretaries and administration staff are the gatekeepers of every office. P*ss them off at your own peril but it's something I wouldn't do. It's a game of who you know and how hard you look really. Use Linkedin and use their "Free month of Linkedin Premium" to your advantage. I took the initiative and designed a website for myself when I was looking for work. It's things that make you stand out will put you in the fore running for a position. Not sure if there is a "hidden job" market at the moment, there is jobs there but it's where you look and how hard you try is the key.

made the mistake of accepting a recruiter from computer futures on linkedin.

spam central, getting emails from their german office written in german, job specs that aren't even in my field.

I am opposite, I never hear from any recruitment agency I have connected with or applied for a job with.

Probably reinforces point OL made regarding job not existing, or else overwhelmed with applications. I would even appreciate an automated reply (how hard is it to set this up!?)

I don't think my CV is that bad as I have 1st hons degree in physical sciences and work experience to hand.

I am probably over qualified/too specialized however for a lot of jobs in my area and unfortunately am unable to move abroad for personal reasons(marriage+mortgage:pac:)

O_L wrote: »
    Not sure about cold calling prospective employers. As you said you'll p*ss off a lot of "secretaries", but secretaries and administration staff are the gatekeepers of every office. P*ss them off at your own peril but it's something I wouldn't do. It's a game of who you know and how hard you look really. Use Linkedin and use their "Free month of Linkedin Premium" to your advantage. I took the initiative and designed a website for myself when I was looking for work. It's things that make you stand out will put you in the fore running for a position. Not sure if there is a "hidden job" market at the moment, there is jobs there but it's where you look and how hard you try is the key.

Cheers

I didn't mean secretaries in a derogatory sense, just as you say, they are the gatekeepers.

I just think if I am ever so polite, cold calling is ok? The only reason not to do it is if it would hurt future prospects by tarnishing your reputation in some way, which there could be some truth in.

Re LinkedIn, I hear a lot of how great it is for job hunting but I have to say I don't see anyone seeing my profile and coming knocking on the door! The other side is me going out trying to link with everyone (or send messages, speculative job apps etc), and is this not cold calling in a different guise?

All avenues will be exhausted...

I Linkedin amazing for jobs. Companies contacting me directly, loads of agencies and they post real jobs not the CV harvesting tactics.

I think it is just the years of experience I have at this point so I wouldn't be surprised it doesn't work for everybody. Usually 3-4 people check out my profile each week. Normally get a direct request to apply for a job once a week on average. Certain times of the year it is much more.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I Linkedin amazing for jobs. Companies contacting me directly, loads of agencies and they post real jobs not the CV harvesting tactics.

I think it is just the years of experience I have at this point so I wouldn't be surprised it doesn't work for everybody. Usually 3-4 people check out my profile each week. Normally get a direct request to apply for a job once a week on average. Certain times of the year it is much more.

That sounds great. What profession do you mind me asking?

I guess it only works well for high level head-hunting, not recent uni grads etc...which are a dime a dozen

• Advertisement

That sounds great. What profession do you mind me asking?

I guess it only works well for high level head-hunting, not recent uni grads etc...which are a dime a dozen

IT testing mostly. I wouldn't consider myself high level but certainly not graduate level. It would be that I have lots of experience and have worked in many companies.

Having dealt with many graduates in work places it is fair to say they take a lot of time and effort so I see why companies are not hiring them. Overall it appears to be short sighted but budgets are tight.

I would say it would take 3 graduates with me to be equivalent to 2 of somebody with my experience. Even with that the quality of work could easily suffer. Better to hire 2 experienced people from most company's view.

It is actually all a bit strange as before when companies were desperate for IT bigger companies took graduates in and trained them up. What would happen is after they were trained other smaller companies would hoover them up. As many companies cut their graduate programs the supply was cut. In theory jobbridge should help with this but you still run into the running costs of training graduates. I recently had an intern and he slowed me down and I had to recheck all his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

Can anyone reccomend a good recruitment agency dealing with admin? Cork area.

Do NOT say La Creme!

Hi

Whys the story with agency workers not being paid for days off on public holidays and for taking days off.

My hourly salary is said to incorporate holiday pay but that's bull****.

Anyone have more info ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

If a agency worker has worked 40 hours or more within the previous 3 weeks they are entitled to the day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Hi

Whys the story with agency workers not being paid for days off on public holidays and for taking days off.

My hourly salary is said to incorporate holiday pay but that's bull****.

Anyone have more info ?

What type of work do you do? Sometimes contracts can specify hourly rates do take in your holiday pay , but you still get public holiday pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

compo1 wrote: »
    Can anyone reccomend a good recruitment agency dealing with admin? Cork area.

Do NOT say La Creme!

There ain't one. Sorry! :o

allibastor wrote: »
    What type of work do you do? Sometimes contracts can specify hourly rates do take in your holiday pay , but you still get public holiday pay

I work in the financial sector. My contract states I get paid hourly which includes holiday. But doesn't specifically state I'll still get holiday pay as you're implying.

I have come to the conclusion that La Creme are a total screw-up. Last Friday, I replied to a job notice on their website and within minutes got a phone call asking me to come for interview in two hours. She also asked for my references. Sent within ten minutes. I was halfway to the location when I got another call; same "lady". Interview cancelled; deemed unsuitable, because I'd applied for a customer service position earlier in the year and not got it. This position was for back office work.
    How is that relevant? Particularly when in a post-interview call the first time round I was told I was "an excellent fit" for customer service. I'd be employed when more vacancies turned up. They did, I applied, was told to wait for the call on when to start, then when I followed up, was told that it was decided first time round I was "entirely unsuited" to a customer service position but "perfect" for back office work. When I got the call telling me that I was "unsuitable" for back office work, I gave the "lady" an earful.
    Have many people been messed around like this by La Creme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

compo1 wrote: »
    I have come to the conclusion that La Creme are a total screw-up. Last Friday, I replied to a job notice on their website and within minutes got a phone call asking me to come for interview in two hours. She also asked for my references. Sent within ten minutes. I was halfway to the location when I got another call; same "lady". Interview cancelled; deemed unsuitable, because I'd applied for a customer service position earlier in the year and not got it. This position was for back office work.
    How is that relevant? Particularly when in a post-interview call the first time round I was told I was "an excellent fit" for customer service. I'd be employed when more vacancies turned up. They did, I applied, was told to wait for the call on when to start, then when I followed up, was told that it was decided first time round I was "entirely unsuited" to a customer service position but "perfect" for back office work. When I got the call telling me that I was "unsuitable" for back office work, I gave the "lady" an earful.
    Have many people been messed around like this by La Creme?

Oh yes, indeed!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Ray Palmer wrote: »

My boyfriend got his current job by being contacted through Linkedin. It came out of the blue at the most perfect time as he was really unhappy in his old job. It's been a huge step up for him. So Linkedin certainly works out well for some people. But you needs lots of experience for people to start contacting you like that. He also has a very hard-to-achieve professional qualification. Me? Two people have viewed my profile in the last 90 days. I am HOT! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭fangler

Has anyone had any dealings with 'Mindwork'? Seem lack a pack of clowns to me. Did an interview with some guy who looked about 18. He was so impressed that he was lining me up jobs I didn't even apply for. My salary expectations were lower than what he was willling to offer. Just had to wait a couple of days for the company to get back to him confirming the interview details. Seemed to good to be true. It was - he didn't get back to me at all.
    There are also some old posts in here about people not being paid what they were expecting or at all for that matter. I might have dodged a bullet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I don't know if it's actually legal to mention companies, currently operating or non-existent, but I've dealt with one absolute scourge of an IT Recruitment Company. One recruiter blocking my application for a job, because I was legally gagged from divulging certain information.

I find these days is to build a repository of websites that allows you to search for jobs, while filtering out these Agencies and going straight to the source. I've obtained 2 interviews in the last week, 2 more than Agencies have helped me obtain in the same number of months.

So I'd keep an eye on the likes of Fas, Irishjobs.ie and jobs.ie. Not sure what other recruitment sites could be used to filter out such Agencies, but the mentioned are certainly worth having a look at and definitely more beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You guys will love this one...

The Department of Revenue has loads of IT contractors working for them. Nevermind that the Revenue is always threatening contractors... But where are these contract roles advertised? They are not on publicjobs.ie. I know they exist because I have agencies ringing me about them.

So, does the Department of Revenue waste loads of taxpayers money by solely recruiting contractors through agencies? Why can't I just submit my CV to a panel? They should totally hire me: "select * from citizens where taxevasion = true" - pro!!!

I have tried searching for info, but I'm sure you can already guess what results you find from searching "department of revenue contractor" - lots of tax stuff :) I think I will ring their HR department tomorrow and ask. If they say "we only recruit via agency" I will flip out and start mailing TDs.

This is related to a more general question: How do the recruitment agencies find the roles they advertise? It annoys me so much when I search for contracts and I only see stuff from agencies. Agencies always claim to have exclusive rights to various roles, but this rings a bit false when I get 5 of them ringing me about the same position.

One last point: If you get messed around by an agent, send an official complaint to their boss. Some agencies do have a complaints procedure. I sent a test to a certain agency 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing back. Not only am I going to complain, I will also send them an invoice for my time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I think Contract jobs offered by the likes of Revenue and other Government Departments are offered through www.etenders.gov.ie. Don't quote me on it though.

srsly78 wrote: »
    You guys will love this one...

The Department of Revenue has loads of IT contractors working for them. Nevermind that the Revenue is always threatening contractors... But where are these contract roles advertised? They are not on publicjobs.ie. I know they exist because I have agencies ringing me about them.

So, does the Department of Revenue waste loads of taxpayers money by solely recruiting contractors through agencies? Why can't I just submit my CV to a panel? They should totally hire me: "select * from citizens where taxevasion = true" - pro!!!

I have tried searching for info, but I'm sure you can already guess what results you find from searching "department of revenue contractor" - lots of tax stuff I think I will ring their HR department tomorrow and ask. If they say "we only recruit via agency" I will flip out and start mailing TDs.

This is related to a more general question: How do the recruitment agencies find the roles they advertise? It annoys me so much when I search for contracts and I only see stuff from agencies. Agencies always claim to have exclusive rights to various roles, but this rings a bit false when I get 5 of them ringing me about the same position.

One last point: If you get messed around by an agent, send an official complaint to their boss. Some agencies do have a complaints procedure. I sent a test to a certain agency 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing back. Not only am I going to complain, I will also send them an invoice for my time.

From what you are saying it sounds like you aren't very experienced. You are making some wild and false assumption.
    Contractors are in most government departments. They are not advertised on public jobs as they aren't public jobs. Companies win a bid on government tenders as pointed out already. These companies often hire contractors to do the work. So you aren't hired by the department but a 3rd party and quite often through a recruiter as well. So for example Accenture work in DSP, they use their own staff and hire contractors for specialist work or at times of need. When you have a contract role in a department you have to have your own company and are in effect a company hired by a company to work for another company that has won a contract with the department. Everybody taking a bite along the way. You aren't doing work the department itself can do.
    Recruitment agencies are contacted by companies looking for contractors that is how they know where the roles are. Some companies contact a load of agencies hence many agents advertising one role. Other companies use a single agent exclusively and can even send you to an agent even when you contact them directly. This will become more common as HR departments are dropped and agencies are hired to do HR roles. I know a few companies who already do this.
    You have absolutely no chance of getting paid for your time. It is a bad idea to even go down this route. Agents are a necessary evil and you can't tell them how to behave. Think what you like about them but they hold the jobs especially if contracting. You are just cutting your nose off despite your face by getting into an argument with them. Keep your own records of how you feel they behave and come up with your favourites. Some agents are terrible while the agency is good or vice versa.
    I have kept in contact with some agents as they have moved about. After a while you get first dibs on roles. Usually the mass contacting by agents is actually the junior staff who have been sent off to go through their databases. Best play nice as you never know what agent has a role you want and the better your relationship the better your opportunities. Your call but you can't "should" their behaviour to what you want them to do. Junior staff often over do it hence your contact being extremely positive and then nothing. If you are meeting a junior member of staff you are seen as junior employee or at least not being considered for the higher roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Bingo thanks Itzy.

Ray look how wrong you are! I am an experienced consultant and already work directly for several clients in the financial sector. Clearly it is you that lacks experience in this area. Also, please use paragraphs ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Also there is no such Government department called the 'Department of Revenue'.

The Revenue Commissioners are not a government department, so searching for 'Department of Revenue contractor' is not going to get you an Irish based result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

Bingo thanks Itzy.

Ray look how wrong you are! I am an experienced consultant and already work directly for several clients in the financial sector. Clearly it is you that lacks experience in this area. Also, please use paragraphs ffs.

Srsly
    Both above posters are correct, in most cases this work is contracted out via e tenders, but, most of the PQQ's will indirectly exclude independent contractors.

Having completed many of these tenders an won some you will find they may require minimum levels of turnover eg. €25m, they may have ridiculous insurance requirements, and usually also require references from similar clients, sometimes specifically within the public sector.

Realistically these tenders are designed not to be won by independent contractors.

Agencies will have contracts to provide ad hoc staff and typically the large consulting houses will have contracts to deliver specific projects.

Bingo thanks Itzy.

Well you have shown no signs of your experience or understanding of the market and how it works.

I have shown knowledge of how the system works while you have shown a lack of knowledge on how it works.

Considering you are the one fighting with the agents it doesn't show any understanding or experience but what would I know other than more than you?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

I've been reading through this thread and have to agree with a lot of what has already been written.

I finally got a 1 yr contract Reception/Admin role in July via monster.ie, the company advertised directly after being out of work for 9 months.

I've dealt with a LOT of recruitment consultants and It really depends on the individual consultant. Like any job some are better than others.

Julia Ross: great for temp work. Free training on MS Office. I had a great consultant called Kate rang one day to speak to her and was told she no longer worked for them.

Manpower Elaine Egan very helpful. Unfortunately she had no suitable roles.

La Creme/Morgan McKinley not great. Consultant interviewed me, I heard nothing. I found via LinkedIn she had left the firm and the country.

Orange not a good experience. I told them I had no accounts experience and went I went to meet with them offered me an accounts role.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Lovely thread. Wanted to take this crowd in the UK to court a few years back after their CEO slung abuse at me in an email after they misinformed me about my second round interview with a certain company. He later rang and apologised as he obviously did not want to acknowledge their mistake but I have since been blackballed by both them and their client.

The company in question is: Hyperion Recruitment and I strongly advise everyone to steer clear. Here is the mail in question.

XXXX,

In light of the fact that I cannot contact you by phone, I thought that it may be worthwhile sending you an e-mail.

Both Chris and I feel that you have acted like a coward and an indecent human being by not having the courtesy to let us know that you would not be attending the interview with XXXXXX today. If you do not have the minerals to make a simple telephone call to let us know that you will not be attending an interview, it is maybe a blessing in disguise for XXXXXX that your application will not be going any further.

If you have a valid excuse then please be my guest to let myself or Chris know, though I seriously doubt we will be hearing back from you.

Needless to say we will not represent you again, however I would like to wish you good luck in your job hunt, judging by how you have acted today I think you will actually require more than good luck and it may be something of a minor miracle if you find a suitable employer.

Do not ever contact this agency again, you will be wasting your time and even more of ours.

Warmest Regards,

[NAME REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Managing Director

HYPERION iGaming Recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pee Fortyfive

Good grief, that's some letter. Goes to show what these lousy agencies really think of candidates. A pack of scumdogs the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Bingo thanks Itzy.

You are wrong and Ray is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

My boyfriend got his current job by being contacted through Linkedin. It came out of the blue at the most perfect time as he was really unhappy in his old job. It's been a huge step up for him. So Linkedin certainly works out well for some people. But you needs lots of experience for people to start contacting you like that. He also has a very hard-to-achieve professional qualification. Me? Two people have viewed my profile in the last 90 days. I am HOT! :pac:

Have to agree with Linkedin,
    When I was approached about a position (that I start in January) it was through Linkedin,
    I have also been approached by 3 or 4 different companies with a similar position over the last 1-2months.

I have only been in my profession 9 months.

Alot of big companies have their own talent acquisition department, whose job is to look for suitable people for their companies.

Smaller companies will go to the likes of Indeed and jobs.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There may be no actual difference; some Irish agencies are known to advertise for jobs that don't exist!
    I am probably over qualified/too specialized however for a lot of jobs in my area
    Re LinkedIn, I hear a lot of how great it is for job hunting but I have to say I don't see anyone seeing my profile and coming knocking on the door!
    I'd say LinkedIn would be good for you, in this case.

=-=

I better update my LInkedIn profile over the next few days myself! Do like reading this thread, as Ray does give good info.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FireBreather

Wow, i wont say much on the place.

But got a call from my pass course for an opportunity in the B2B Telemarketing problem, thought it suited me had an Interview the next day, went very well, she said sometime next week ill start training
    Was looking exited into it, until i started going deeper into telemarketing read some Sample Scripts, it sounds so fake and force.

Read a good bit of this Topic and i feel really sick about it.

Plus the Pay alone its not worth it

if i dont have a high enough Success right im out, as obvious as it sounds, there be not worst feeling being told f off your not good enough at suggestively manipulating people into possibly buying something they dont want to.

Please tell me Im wrong and there is good direct Agencies, and im just reading it wrong?

I suspect you'll be gone from there shortly. No reflection on yourself, I was offered a similar job two years ago and I turned it down. Commission-based is it? Many of these telemarketing jobs tend to be just that. Not a secure enough income, IMO.

I had to come looking for this thread specifically just to rant. Not sure if I should shame as it would not look good for the Recruitment Agency. I applied for a role in Dublin and was offered an interview for Tuesday. Something came up, something that I cannot get out of and is also more important at this moment in time.

So I sent them a courtesy email explaining that I cannot attend and why. Not long after, I received to abusive and borderline threatening voice mails from the recruiter handling the role. The the MD of the Company rang to force the role on me, so we came to a compromise.

I'd nearly be willing to make an alternate compromise. Head to Dublin and forgo what's more important to myself and family to kick 70 shades of shíte out of the recruiter and his boss. Nothing but a bunch of thick ignorant cúnts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭gambit83

name and shame them...

personally i can safely say that 95% of my experiences with recruitment agencies have being negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Nelly1234

gambit83 wrote: »
    name and shame them...

personally i can safely say that 95% of my experiences with recruitment agencies have being negative

All and I mean ALL of my experience with recruitment agencies have been bad! I don't know why they exsist tbh! They don't really help the employer either!

• Advertisement
Advertisement