Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment agencies - name, shame (and praise)

Comments

I have a general recruiter type question and figure it may be better to ask here than start another thread:

I've read before that you're not supposed to deal with too many recruiters because if two different ones send your CV to the same company, the company may decide to reject you to avoid the hassle of who to pay the agency fee to. That's fine. But is there any unwritten rule when it comes to contacting different recruiters in the same agency? I was contacted by Recruiter A for a job. Recruiter A then emailed back to say that the job had been filled but that they'd look out for other roles for me. In the meantime I've noticed a similar role on a jobs site, and it's the same agency but Recruiter B is the contact person. Is there any problem with sending an email directly to Recruiter B or would I be expected to mention this to Recruiter A out of politeness or something?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question but I don't have much experience with recruiters or their mind games. :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I have a general recruiter type question and figure it may be better to ask here than start another thread:

I've read before that you're not supposed to deal with too many recruiters because if two different ones send your CV to the same company, the company may decide to reject you to avoid the hassle of who to pay the agency fee to. That's fine. But is there any unwritten rule when it comes to contacting different recruiters in the same agency? I was contacted by Recruiter A for a job. Recruiter A then emailed back to say that the job had been filled but that they'd look out for other roles for me. In the meantime I've noticed a similar role on a jobs site, and it's the same agency but Recruiter B is the contact person. Is there any problem with sending an email directly to Recruiter B or would I be expected to mention this to Recruiter A out of politeness or something?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question but I don't have much experience with recruiters or their mind games. :o )

They're sales people.

The commission problem is their problem. That's why they try to scare you into not using other agencies. You should use as many agencies as you want. It's in your interest to tell them what they want to hear (e.g. I'm only using you!)

By all means use different recruiters in the same company.

Thanks for reply. What made me question whether it was a faux pas to talk to different recruiters was an experience I've had with another recruitment company. Person A rings me, says they'll put my CV forward for a job, I don't hear back again. So I apply for a different job (same recruitment agency as Person A) to Person B, who emails me back to say that I've supposedly already got a contact in their agency, Person C (who I've never heard of in my life), and that all my future dealings through the agency should be with Person C so as that they're not doubling up on work. Fast forward a week: still no contact from Person C (who Person B assured me would "be in touch shortly"), Person B has presumably not bothered forwarding my CV for the job I contacted them about, and Person A has now added me on LinkedIn but still not updated me about the role they called me about in the first place. :confused:

I'm beginning to understand why people get frustrated with recruitment agencies. I understand that they're sales people and they care about their commission rather than my interests but I still wanna avoid pissing any of them off in case I need them to finally get that elusive job offer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Recently applied for a Junior role on CPLs website. A few days later one of their recruiters got back to me asking to me call them. Called but no answer so I left a message with my details. After a few missed calls back and forth I eventually got in contact with her. She said the company advertising the role were strict about the degree grade wanted and that I didnt have it but said she had another role that might be of interest to me. Told me about it and I said I was interested and she said she'd forward on the details, she then asked me a few questions, location, expectations for salery ect and finally asked me to forward her my CV as she only had my LinkedIn account.

This was 2 weeks ago now and I've yet to receive any details on the job she said she'd forward me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Avoid those that don't bother to call back. I've had to chase a few places in HR to get an interview date and nothing.

One recruiter was to send on a job spec to my email and I never got it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Hi.

Has anyone dealt with Noel Recruitment?

I applied for some Warehouse jobs just to get money up for Christmas but I had no manual handling cert so I'm suppose to go and get it tomorrow for €40 with one they have arranged.

Money is low at the moment so don't want to waste money on that and never hear back from them again.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

So they want you to pay €40 for a manual handling course which is about 1/2 hours in duration? Under the SHAW act 2005 any training an employer provides the employee has to be paid for by the employer.
    The f**kers are pulling a fast one on you put it this way my last job which had some serious responsibility due to the nature of the job,Required that I needed to do 3 weeks training including class room on site etc including assessments the company paid for the training as it is the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Hi.

Has anyone dealt with Noel Recruitment?

I applied for some Warehouse jobs just to get money up for Christmas but I had no manual handling cert so I'm suppose to go and get it tomorrow for €40 with one they have arranged.

Money is low at the moment so don't want to waste money on that and never hear back from them again.

Thanks.

Hi,
    What ware house is it your going for.
    Generally all agencies will require you to have a mh or safe done for claims and insurance purposes.

As far as i know you have no legal requirement to get it, but may not be eligble for the role if you dont.
    How did you find the agency anyway, i applied for a Job recently through them

So they want you to pay €40 for a manual handling course which is about 1/2 hours in duration? Under the SHAW act 2005 any training an employer provides the employee has to be paid for by the employer.
    The f**kers are pulling a fast one on you put it this way my last job which had some serious responsibility due to the nature of the job,Required that I needed to do 3 weeks training including class room on site etc including assessments the company paid for the training as it is the law.

Są they are not technically his employer, but an agency this doesnt apply unless it is very specific training for a Job he is already doing

I know I have done it before but my cert is out a date by a few months its a nightmare. Really need a job at the moment so I'm in two minds whether to go or not I think they just want to get this 40 quid out of me then I'll never hear from them again.

• Advertisement

allibastor wrote: »
    Hi,
    What ware house is it your going for.
    Generally all agencies will require you to have a mh or safe done for claims and insurance purposes.

As far as i know you have no legal requirement to get it, but may not be eligble for the role if you dont.
    How did you find the agency anyway, i applied for a Job recently through them

Its one in Blanchardstown they never told me which I just applied for the job through Adverts.ie and they called me in for a interview and asked a bit about me and that and then said I would need a manual handling cert before they could send on my application.

The person I was with wasn't bad but I e-mailed her last night in regards to the manual handling and she hasn't got back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Can you not get the Safe Pass through FAS?

Can you not get the Safe Pass through FAS?

FAS are finished are they not? I searched manual handling and FAS into Google and found noting.

FAS are finished are they not? I searched manual handling and FAS into Google and found noting.

I know they're no longer called FAS, but you get the idea. Is it Solas or something? Google it and check.

A girl I know cousin done their manual handling course and got a job the next day I just found out there so I'm going to give it a go I have noting to lose other than €40! ha

Thanks for the help guys.

A girl I know cousin done their manual handling course and got a job the next day I just found out there so I'm going to give it a go I have noting to lose other than €40! ha

Thanks for the help guys.

Just ensure you have an interview or company name for the Job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I'd also recommend people to AVOID Wallace Myers International. Biggest time wasters and spoofers I have met.

Lured me into a meeting with them promising a permanent position with a certain salary range in the no. 1 law firm. Met with them and said salary range had dropped 10 grand, was actually only a 6 month position with a view to being made permanent ("but all people I choose are made permanent" - yeah right) and was actually for the no. 5 law firm.

The recruiter forwarded my CV to the no. 5 law firm without my permission or knowledge.

Avoid at all costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Naggins

Hi,

Anyone have any experience/can recommend recruitment agencies and recruiters for banking, trusts and primarily funds?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

Reed Global off Grafton Street have come top of my list for useless agencies.
    I called into them about 3 weeks ago & met one of their consultants who told me about all the fab roles they had due to come in.
    A week later got a phone call from the same consultant saying she had pulled my CV off IrishJobs.ie and asking was I looking for work :rolleyes:
    I asked her did she not recall me sitting in front of her for about 40 minutes the previous week?
    Now I have just had a second call from her asking if I was in the jobs market as she "may" have a role coming in and if I could send in my up to date CV. Again I explained that I was with her about 3 weeks ago and that my experience has not altered dramatically in that time frame.
    So obviously my visit to them was a complete waste of time and my original CV was binned.

On another note Morgan McKinley & CPL have been fantastic to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Monife wrote: »
    I'd also recommend people to AVOID Wallace Myers International. Biggest time wasters and spoofers I have met.

Lured me into a meeting with them promising a permanent position with a certain salary range in the no. 1 law firm. Met with them and said salary range had dropped 10 grand, was actually only a 6 month position with a view to being made permanent ("but all people I choose are made permanent" - yeah right) and was actually for the no. 5 law firm.

The recruiter forwarded my CV to the no. 5 law firm without my permission or knowledge.

Avoid at all costs!

I had a similar experience, I was getting two/three calls a day about the job and I said to put me forward even though it was a job for someone with very little experience. That wouldn't bother me usually, it's just I had been initially rejected because of having too much experience.

Fast forward a week or two later, I get rejected again because I have too much experience. They were a nightmare.

Noel Recruitment.

Made me do a manual handling course and told me I would get a job right away after doing it.

That was over 2 weeks ago and after sending 3 emails to the person that interviewed me I never got a reply back.

They pretty much just robbed 40 quid off me when I was broke and it was the last bit of money to my name.

Disgrace of a company.

You can do a manual handling course via FAS (Or whatever they're called now). They're robbing bastards who should have told you that. Was the course you took even accredited??

I'd be going round there in person to have a little chat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You can do a manual handling course via FAS (Or whatever they're called now). They're robbing bastards who should have told you that. Was the course you took even accredited??

I'd be going round there in person to have a little chat.

I second that. I've never once been charged by an employer to do a manual handling course. If I was asked to go to 'FAS' to do one, I would, but I've never been asked to pay up front, ever!

I tried to find the FAS one but had no luck.

They told me if I done their one that I would be able to do it the following week that with FAS it can take a few weeks to get a spot.

I just feel like a fool for wasting my time and money going out there.

Not a clue if its accredited its probably not worth the piece of paper it was printed on.

Uploaded and sent my cv to morgan mckinley, got back an email from la creme. So they think Im only suitable for low paid basic office admin jobs??

• Advertisement

La Creme are a waste of time. Can't you speak to Morgan McKinley direct?

La Creme are a waste of time. Can't you speak to Morgan McKinley direct?

Like contacting a specific recuiter in Morgan McKinley, or some other way? I've heard good things about McKinley but not LaCreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

What the hell is the deal with this Q.E.D crowd?? Sent my CV in i dont know how many times. Never once got even a call and they have jobs advertised every single day of the week.

Ive talked to other people who said the same. Mite as well be sending your CV into the trash bin.

5 years continuous referencing is a crazy requirement for warehouse work. They shouldn't be allowed keep jobs from people who are genuinely desperate for work with an impossible to meet requirement like that. Are they telling us we are not good enough to work because we were made unemployed in the rescission ? Bunch of pricks and reflect everything wrong with this country.

The fact these jobs are up everyday proves how many people they are turning down. They should be looked into because they are preventing good honest workers like myself getting back into the workplace. and off the dole.

What the hell is the deal with this Q.E.D crowd?? Sent my CV in i dont know how many times. Never once got even a call and they have jobs advertised every single day of the week.

Ive talked to other people who said the same. Mite as well be sending your CV into the trash bin.

5 years continuous referencing is a crazy requirement for warehouse work. They shouldn't be allowed keep jobs from people who are genuinely desperate for work with an impossible to meet requirement like that. Are they telling us we are not good enough to work because we were made unemployed in the rescission ? Bunch of pricks and reflect everything wrong with this country.

The fact these jobs are up everyday proves how many people they are turning down. They should be looked into because they are preventing good honest workers like myself getting back into the workplace and off the dole.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I wonder do recruiters know of this thread and actively read it? They'd see what a shady bunch of feckers half the Companies in their sector truly are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Burty330 wrote: »

5 years continuous referencing is a crazy requirement for warehouse work.

Sounds crazy all right but that could be coming from their client company.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Sounds crazy all right but that could be coming from their client company.

Not likely. No other recruiter has a demand like that. Which is why they almost always fill their vaccines immediately.

Its just not possible for have 5 years continuous referencing when people have been out of work for 2-3 years, through no fault of their own, no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KellyM87

anyone have any dealings with Cougar Recruitment? I got phonecall from them saying they found my CV on a job website and had a job that would suit me said they would forward on my CV to the employer and would get back to me later that day about an interview the next day but never heard from! Wanted to know if this was common practice as I've had this a few times with recruitment agencies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

KellyM87 wrote: »
    anyone have any dealings with Cougar Recruitment? I got phonecall from them saying they found my CV on a job website and had a job that would suit me

Are you an attractive middle aged woman with a propensity for seeking out fresh faced lads?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Are you an attractive middle aged woman with a propensity for seeking out fresh faced lads?

I'd say from the username that the poster is a young lady! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Naggins wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone have any experience/can recommend recruitment agencies and recruiters for banking, trusts and primarily funds?

Cheers.

Sarah Wearen is good. I think she's with Gilligan Black recruitment now.

Itzy wrote: »
    I wonder do recruiters know of this thread and actively read it? They'd see what a shady bunch of feckers half the Companies in their sector truly are.

Yes we do, and some of us try and sort out the issues.

recruitment has become a shoddy beast since the recession has kicked in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I've dealt with Solas Recruitment recently and found them very helpful. They actually managed to find someone willing to offer me a .net developer job. I didn't take it up after but fair play to them. I found Mindas very helpful there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Noel Recruitment.

Made me do a manual handling course and told me I would get a job right away after doing it.

That was over 2 weeks ago and after sending 3 emails to the person that interviewed me I never got a reply back.

They pretty much just robbed 40 quid off me when I was broke and it was the last bit of money to my name.

Disgrace of a company.

Which Noel Recruitment did you do it with

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone come across the phenomenon of agencies offering to help you get references?

I'd one recently go onto the linkedin site of a former employer, then as I was unable (within two hours as I was travelling) to send them contact details, call me and ask me if they could contact x,y, or z in there, none of whom I'd worked with!

• Advertisement

I've not heard of that. But given the 'professionalism' of some of the agencies here, it really wouldn't surprise me. Very naughty of them...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've not heard of that. But given the 'professionalism' of some of the agencies here, it really wouldn't surprise me. Very naughty of them...

The only saving grace was they rang me first to check if I knew the people before they actually made the calls.

That's the only one. Personally I'd blow their ears off! Very unprofessional behaviour.

That's the only one. Personally I'd blow their ears off! Very unprofessional behaviour.

Well after they rang me 8 times in a hour while I was driving on a motorway they got short enough shrift tbh

Stheno wrote: »
    Well after they rang me 8 times in a hour while I was driving on a motorway they got short enough shrift tbh

Attagirl!

apc wrote: »
    Which Noel Recruitment did you do it with

Tallaght mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has anyone got any experience with quest recruitment?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

solas are a bit of a joke now to be honest, see them advertising these seriously high salaries, you enquire and they say, "Send on your CV and we will call you", then the job is gone.
    Then a week later the job is still there.
    Its cv pooling and nothing short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

yop wrote: »
    solas are a bit of a joke now to be honest, see them advertising these seriously high salaries, you enquire and they say, "Send on your CV and we will call you", then the job is gone.
    Then a week later the job is still there.
    Its cv pooling and nothing short.

Really? That's so disappointing to hear, I used them as an employer and found them on.

I quite like Harvey Nash and Morgan McKinley - I got good service there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭turffooter

Hi, can anyone recomend a decent agency that deals with legal employment ?

Advertisement