Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment agencies - name, shame (and praise)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has anyone got experiences with The Panel Recruitment?
    They haven't got me anything yet or even an interview but so for I've been finding them nice to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

No experience of them but what I find is that five people could have five different experiences with the one recruitment agency. It's more about the consultant you are dealing. Some are excellent, some just OK and some clearly in the wrong job.

Good luck in your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I just came across this thread by chance, hadn't seen it before but would just like to post the below as I had a very positive experience with this guy.

Had a very good experience with a guy called Stephen Parsons from Grafton Recruitment in Fitzwilliam Square, Dublin 2. He was very professional and helpful, from first contact with him on Linkedin to interview and job offer, a total of 2 weeks. I would highly recommend him, I am in IT myself so anyone in this area, it might be worth getting in touch with him to see if they have anything else going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Stephen O'Brien in Morgan McKinley in Cork is good.

Thomas Hogan in CPL in Limerick is good.

Clarion Resourcing and Gilligan Black in Dublin both very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Stephen O'Brien in Morgan McKinley in Cork is good.

Thomas Hogan in CPL in Limerick is good.

Clarion Resourcing and Gilligan Black in Dublin both very poor.

what area of recruitment?

That's disappointing about Gilligan Black; I was under the impression they were pretty good.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Has anyone got experiences with The Panel Recruitment?
    They haven't got me anything yet or even an interview but so for I've been finding them nice to deal with.
    I hear good things about them from senior candidates.

Katgurl wrote: »
    what area of recruitment?

That's disappointing about Gilligan Black; I was under the impression they were pretty good.

IT

IT

Thanks. Which consultant do you remember?

Im comfortable to praise individual consultants but less comfortable to individually damn them. Suffice it to say that I was not impressed.

Im comfortable to praise individual consultants but less comfortable to individually damn them. Suffice it to say that I was not impressed.

Cool I hear you. I had a few dealings with them from a client (not candidate) perspective last year and nothing sucks out in my head good or bad.

• Advertisement

Worst for me so far have been Manpower finance. Just not a positive experience in any way, having said that so far they are the only agency that have actually gotten me an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

Worst for me so far have been Manpower finance. Just not a positive experience in any way, having said that so far they are the only agency that have actually gotten me an interview.

Through the years I applied for a few roles that were advertised by Manpower. Not once did I get a response - even a decline - just ignored.

Would not recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Anyone have any experience with Excel Recruitment?

Have a interview tomorrow about a job working as event staff part time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

342090.jpeg.

Any opinions on Kaizen Recruitment? Really just wanted to know if everything is above board as they only have a mobile phone number.

Never heard of it but they do have a website (http://www.kaizenrecruitment.com/) , and an office on Grafton St. ****ty website but good location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Even 92

had a good experience with reed recruitment on grafton street....

when i was looking for a job i met with one or two agencies that were slow
    to get back to me or sometimes wouldnt get back to me at all after
    interviews.

i met with one of the recruiters in reed .. aidan, fairly sharp guy who didnt
    do bs, after my first interview with him he invited me back for an onsite
    interview with google for the same week and then offered me the job a week
    later.. some of the google campaigns only use him so he seems to have a bit
    of leeway in comparison to other agencies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Arcon Recruitment, utterly useless and smug as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm fed up with recruiters. Sick of wasting my time going to meet them then nothing. The one I had arranged to meet recently didn't show. I was told she was called away to something, and that she'd call me the next day, no call.

I found Gilligan Black good enough, got two jobs through them. Theresa seems genuine, and helpful.

Can't say anything good about any others as of yet.

Anyone use Robert Walters?

I met with martinsen mayer. They were honest is all I can say but that alone scores points in my book.
    The woman wanted to meet my to discuss application but she had been on holidays so reckoned the role was gone but she was out straight with me about that rather than taking me for a ride on the hope it was still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Recruitfirst, anyone any dealings with? Got a call off them about 2 weeks ago about some jobs on offer, asked for an up to date cv etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Any opinions on Kaizen Recruitment? Really just wanted to know if everything is above board as they only have a mobile phone number.

Avoid like the plauge.

All agencies are rubbish to be fair.

Before i use any for a role i will secretly screen them by making a cv for a role then trying to apply for a job.
    Most have a terrible way of treating applicants, i only found sigmar and sherlock to be good. One company called sales placement, i would run a mile from,same as Felix and Kaizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boca87

Hi everyone,

Just came across this thread and found it an interesting read.

I'm from the other (dark?) side and am an IT recruiter with a company who doesn't seem to have been mentioned recently in this thread.

Having recruited overseas for a number of years, my impression of the recruitment agency world in Ireland is one where candidates and recruitment consultants begrudgingly work together for a recruitment drive and then part ways. Why is this?

In my opinion there are a number of reasons but the main two being that recruitment in Ireland has traditionally been more or less a sales job rather than a service providing role; and as a result of this gungho sales approach candidates tend to view the majority of recruitment agents as something on the bottom of their shoe.

To be honest my experience of recruiting overseas was very different. I worked with a limited number of candidates and hiring managers who I had good relationships with and genuinely tried to help out all parties as I felt there was a mutual respect and information was passed between all parties. A general example would be call Hiring Manager A about candidate B as they had relevant skills to HM, then the decision lies with HM A if they have a need for candidate B and candidate B decides if HM A is right match for their career.

I've been back here over 6 months and have been trying to bring the same structure to the Dublin market, with some success. But I find that most candidates and hiring managers don't want to build that relationship once there isn't an active job. As a result I have begun to look at internal recruitment options earlier in my career than I would have planned.

Keen tp hear all thoughts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

boca87 wrote: »
    ...I've been back here over 6 months and have been trying to bring the same structure to the Dublin market, with some success. But I find that most candidates and hiring managers don't want to build that relationship once there isn't an active job. As a result I have begun to look at internal recruitment options earlier in my career than I would have planned.

Keen to hear all thoughts.

What ever about recruiters, I have even greater contempt for internal recruiters. I worked for a Multinational and I was barred from advancement or movement in any direction by internal recruiters despite my time spent and experience. I would have spoke with my 1st line manager and excuse my language, but he was an even bigger cúnt. So for now, I'm contracting which gives me the flexibility I want when it comes to the work I actually want to do.

boca87 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just came across this thread and found it an interesting read.

I'm from the other (dark?) side and am an IT recruiter with a company who doesn't seem to have been mentioned recently in this thread.

Having recruited overseas for a number of years, my impression of the recruitment agency world in Ireland is one where candidates and recruitment consultants begrudgingly work together for a recruitment drive and then part ways. Why is this?

In my opinion there are a number of reasons but the main two being that recruitment in Ireland has traditionally been more or less a sales job rather than a service providing role; and as a result of this gungho sales approach candidates tend to view the majority of recruitment agents as something on the bottom of their shoe.

To be honest my experience of recruiting overseas was very different. I worked with a limited number of candidates and hiring managers who I had good relationships with and genuinely tried to help out all parties as I felt there was a mutual respect and information was passed between all parties. A general example would be call Hiring Manager A about candidate B as they had relevant skills to HM, then the decision lies with HM A if they have a need for candidate B and candidate B decides if HM A is right match for their career.

I've been back here over 6 months and have been trying to bring the same structure to the Dublin market, with some success. But I find that most candidates and hiring managers don't want to build that relationship once there isn't an active job. As a result I have begun to look at internal recruitment options earlier in my career than I would have planned.

Keen tp hear all thoughts.

You are definitly in the minority on this one.
    recruitment in ireland now is all about the quick win sales approach

What drives me crazy is I had a tough time having any recruitment agencies to spend any time working on my behalf (let alone building a relationship) when I was job seeking. That was with a good CV. Now that I am in employment again, I have had about 6 different recruiters email me and 2 ring me in work.

Those who emailed me did so through LinkedIn (having obviously seen my new role) and the other two were just taking the piss.

My point -> the majority of these asswipes are busy spending their time scouting people already in employment rather than working for walk ins or those who contact them seeking employment.

What drives me crazy is I had a tough time having any recruitment agencies to spend any time working on my behalf (let alone building a relationship) when I was job seeking. That was with a good CV. Now that I am in employment again, I have had about 6 different recruiters email me and 2 ring me in work.

Those who emailed me did so through LinkedIn (having obviously seen my new role) and the other two were just taking the piss.

My point -> the majority of these asswipes are busy spending their time scouting people already in employment rather than working for walk ins or those who contact them seeking employment.

They wont though.
    I applied for a new role through an agency. They gave me a story that my location was wrong and i wasnt considered for the role.

I knew the company doing the job, rang them and they never saw my cv. Once it was sent they wanted to meet me.
    I said about the agency during the meeting, they were shocked that the agency discounted me on location alone

....My point -> the majority of these asswipes are busy spending their time scouting people already in employment rather than working for walk ins or those who contact them seeking employment.

I'm in a similar boat. Since starting a new role or any new role, they've circled like vultures but want nothing to do with me when I'm unemployed.
    allibastor wrote: »
    They wont though.
    I applied for a new role through an agency. They gave me a story that my location was wrong and I wasn't considered for the role.

I knew the company doing the job, rang them and they never saw my cv. Once it was sent they wanted to meet me.
    I said about the agency during the meeting, they were shocked that the agency discounted me on location alone

Another situation I've found myself in, but this time around, the recruiter was more direct in telling me to fúck off, literally.

• Advertisement

Itzy wrote: »
    this time around, the recruiter was more direct in telling me to fúck off, literally.

What, literally literally? Hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Wouldn't be the first time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

- I found CPL in Dublin to be completely useless.
    I had 1 agent blow smoke up my @rse about a job I had interviewed for and after hearing nothing back for a week or 2 I called and kept getting told my message was being passed on to them. Eventually found out that the agent had left and someone else was dealing with my application. That person was then gone on holidays for a month and a 3rd agent rang me about 2 months later to ask if I'd be interested in applying for the job I'd already interviewed for!

Then they started ringing me about jobs that were completely unsuitable due to actual requirements and locations.

- As for The Panel ... are they even an agency or is it just that 1 person on LinkedIn seemingly advertising loads of jobs that don't exist

- FRS were pretty much a waste of time in my limited contact with them.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    - I found CPL in Dublin to be completely useless.
    I had 1 agent blow smoke up my @rse about a job I had interviewed for and after hearing nothing back for a week or 2 I called and kept getting told my message was being passed on to them. Eventually found out that the agent had left and someone else was dealing with my application. That person was then gone on holidays for a month and a 3rd agent rang me about 2 months later to ask if I'd be interested in applying for the job I'd already interviewed for!

Then they started ringing me about jobs that were completely unsuitable due to actual requirements and locations.

- As for The Panel ... are they even an agency or is it just that 1 person on LinkedIn seemingly advertising loads of jobs that don't exist

- FRS were pretty much a waste of time in my limited contact with them.

Try Felix recruitment or sales placement. Both utter ****e.

To be fair, they are all ****e unless you have skills in short supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

Bad experience with Eden recently. The agent who got me the interview buttered me up and praised me and kept in good contact before the interview and then post interview, I didn't ear anything approaching a fortnight. I sent him 2 emails enquiring whether or not the position had been taken by someone else, just for minds rest and when I got no response called up and the receptionist said she would get him to contact me when he came back from his meeting. Still another two days passed, no response and so I called again. I was more abrupt this time explaining my situation and 24 hours later he had the "decency" to call me back and tell me he was too busy to respond to me but someone else got the job.

so once he knew he was not getting his commission he didn't give a toss.

Seriously lack of empathy to those who make such an effort to prepare and travel to these interviews. I haven't had much dealings with Recruitment agencies but if this is the norm, I don't know how people cope.

Bad experience with Eden recently. The agent who got me the interview buttered me up and praised me and kept in good contact before the interview and then post interview, I didn't ear anything approaching a fortnight. I sent him 2 emails enquiring whether or not the position had been taken by someone else, just for minds rest and when I got no response called up and the receptionist said she would get him to contact me when he came back from his meeting. Still another two days passed, no response and so I called again. I was more abrupt this time explaining my situation and 24 hours later he had the "decency" to call me back and tell me he was too busy to respond to me but someone else got the job.

Seriously lack of empathy to those who make such an effort to prepare and travel to these interviews. I haven't had much dealings with Recruitment agencies but if this is the norm, I don't know how people cope.

That is the standard though, you are the recruiters best friend if your useful to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Saint_Mel wrote: »

This. The Panel are utterly, utterly useless. One 'job' regularly posted by them has been there for at least 4 years with minor formatting and wording changes.

All they do is harvest CV's.

I think a lot of companies use an agency cause they dont want the hr hassle or all the applicants coming in.
    i see the difference in agencies when your a job seeker and a client. I refuse to work with 90% of agencies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Morgan McKinley and Careers Register both utterly useless, in fact ive yet to really come across any agencies who id consider good,they really could not give two fu**s about candidates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Bridgewater aren't great either. Got a call from same person twice in the space of two days asking me the same questions. Had my answers ready the second time I spoke to the recruiter. He must been bored or forgotten he rang me already and haven't heard from them since.
    Chase resources aren't too bad. Morgan McK are good to get you an interview but I do admit they aren't great to put in the effort. Some just push you into a job interview you don't want and know very well you won't get the job. Its just a numbers game and to get as many Cv's on a database.

Its annoying too when you get an email from a recruiter for a position but you are looking for something else in a different field/industry and all they pick up is the keywords from your cv just cause you have x y and z doesn't mean you are position for the role they are offering and you tell them you are looking for something else despite stating it on your profile. Another annoying thing is they get in touch give them the CV and they say oh you not qualified/experienced enough. Why bother asking either you haven't read my CV or you have or its just the keywords from CV they are picking up.

Same applies to solas/fas/previous jobbridge application they contact you offering a jobbridge/interview and they go back on their word for an interview its a case of chasing them for one. Some don't bother getting back to you. Others is ones you not interested in and find out months later the company/business goes bust!? My instincts are usually right about those kind of things if I think a company/CEO/HR is a bit dodgy.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Morgan McKinley and Careers Register both utterly useless, in fact ive yet to really come across any agencies who id consider good,they really could not give two fu**s about candidates.

I thought Manpower Finance were the lowest you can go, until I encountered Morgan McKinley, I don't even know where to start with that crowd.

• Advertisement

I thought Manpower Finance were the lowest you can go, until I encountered Morgan McKinley, I don't even know where to start with that crowd.

What office of the company did you deal with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

10 years ago I worked as the head of UK & Ireland (based in London) for the market leader in a particular category. I recently heard about a position in an Irish company in this category that I would have been interested in which had been filled. I was registered with the agency handling the role and had spoken to the agent in the preceding 3 months so I was curious (to say the least) as to why I hadn't heard about it from them so I called and politely enquired about it. Clearly without looking at my CV the recruiter told me I wasn't suitably qualified for it. I politely explained I found that somewhat strange a I had previous been responsible for the UK and Ireland for the market leader whereas this was an Ireland only role for a much smaller player. After some silence and then fumbling at the other end of the phone, I was then told "oh, right, sure don't worry we'll get them next time". The recruiter? Brightwater.

Another favourite was CPL. The person opened telling me about this wonderful opportunity blah blah blah but the client really wanted someone who had postgraduate experience in their field or was conmitted to doing so going forward. I sighed and asked had they read my CV. I was told yes. I said well I doubt you did as if you had you'd have seen I habe 2 postgrads and 2 masters, and I lecture part time in the subject in one of the Dublin Universities. Cue awkward silence and "oh yes, I'm seeing it now". I then asked the salary range. It was about half what I currebtly earn. Geniuses.

10 years ago I worked as the head of UK & Ireland (based in London) for the market leader in a particular category. I recently heard about a position in an Irish company in this category that I would have been interested in which had been filled. I was registered with the agency handling the role and had spoken to the agent in the preceding 3 months so I was curious (to say the least) as to why I hadn't heard about it from them so I called and politely enquired about it. Clearly without looking at my CV the recruiter told me I wasn't suitably qualified for it. I politely explained I found that somewhat strange a I had previous been responsible for the UK and Ireland for the market leader whereas this was an Ireland only role for a much smaller player. After some silence and then fumbling at the other end of the phone, I was then told "oh, right, sure don't worry we'll get them next time". The recruiter? Brightwater.

Another favourite was CPL. The person opened telling me about this wonderful opportunity blah blah blah but the client really wanted someone who had postgraduate experience in their field or was conmitted to doing so going forward. I sighed and asked had they read my CV. I was told yes. I said well I doubt you did as if you had you'd have seen I habe 2 postgrads and 2 masters, and I lecture part time in the subject in one of the Dublin Universities. Cue awkward silence and "oh yes, I'm seeing it now". I then asked the salary range. It was about half what I currebtly earn. Geniuses.

Has any one experience with BMS in dublin. Looking to engage a sales agency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Hays accounting limerick would make good contributors to the creative writing forum. Could teach a thing or two, going by the jobs they put up.

allibastor wrote: »
    What office of the company did you deal with?

Of Mirgan McKinley? The Cork one

Of Mirgan McKinley? The Cork one

I had a good experience with them.

What, literally literally? Hahaha

Yup, literally told me to fúck off, since I wasn't qualified for a role. I have 6+ years in the IT industry and this was an entry level role.

One thing i find with any agency is that they dont take much time to understand thier candidates.

One thing i look for in a partner agency is candidate management skills, not this quick win rubbish

What grinds my gears is roles that are posted and long since filled, but are used as bait. I applied for a role in Cavan last year, but got stitched up by the Company who were hiring. I found the same role a number of weeks later with another recruitment Company and thought I'd challenge them on it.

Itzy wrote: »
    Company and thought I'd challenge them on it.

Yeah, what happened?

• Advertisement
Advertisement