Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment agencies - name, shame (and praise)

1313233343537»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

From my own experience, I understood that agencies doesn't have job which they advertising.

This appears to be the case quite often. A role in the Dublin city centre came to my attention a few weeks ago and on calling the agency, they started sending specs for jobs in Citywest and Tallaght to me. Correspondence ceased after I requested specs for jobs in Dublin city centre only.
    pragmatic1 wrote: »
    However, some companies use recruitment agencies exclusively, so I've had to apply for some jobs through them.

The company I work for uses them from time to time. Jobs are advertised online by the HR department and if they fail to fill them, which tends to happen quite a bit, they engage with the agency to try and fill the role. The success rate is very low. Always wondered if they get a fee even if they fail to find a candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Temple recruitment and Adecco swords are by far the best agencies I've used for jobs. Both secured me with temp work that was both close to home and with great pay. I was never without work and they actually listened to what I wanted and never brought me to interviews where I was not qualified.

With temple I got a permanent job with them but they make sure I still had temp work to keep me going up until I started. And while I was in the job, they kept in touch to make sure everything was going great.

Unfortunately I had to leave the job but they were lovely about it and wished me all the best.

Hayes recruitment on the other hand are absolutely terrible. I applied for a job with them and they called and asked to meet me which I did. They said my cv was perfect for the role blah blah blah, then emailed to say my cv wasn't suitable for the job and wouldn't forward my cv to the employer.

On top of that, they frequently lied about where the job was, telling me the job is a 10 min walk from the bus but on further inspection it really was 30 min walk. Sometimes they wouldn't tell me where the job was until I submitted a cv, I would tell them where I was based and the job was apparently close by. The job was in Sandyford, I'm based near the airport....that is not close.

One particular recruiter from there was quite aggressive to me, becoming irritated that I didn't inform him that I had a new job, even though I had a applied for numerous jobs over the year and did not get any feedback from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has anyone got experiences with the Andersen Partnership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Caroline Ryan of FRS is very professional in her attitude and very helpful. She makes up for those who don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

CPL and Hartley people. Lied through their teeth on job descriptions and have known people let go by CPL based on complete lies by someone working in the industry (banking).

Awful agencies, only want the big buck contracts and could not care less about staff who they have working on their spurious contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 eddiervp20

Dealt with a lady from FRS recruitment who got me an interview for job.
    Told me over the phone what the salary was etc but during my interview I was told something different (significantly less)

Anyways job was offered to another candidate and She told me to wait a few more weeks that the same company would have another opening and would like me to fill that position.

I declined and continued my search and recently got offered a Job and on the same day the same lady for FRS called me asking me would I be interested in the going with the company who previously rejected me..I told her I was offered another job but she continued on and said they would offer me 2k more with the option of overtime also.

I said I would happily take it and she said she would call me straight back.
    Didn't hear from her till this morning only to tell me she jumped the gun and no job was available.

Definitely wouldn't deal with her or the agency again...doesn't know arse from elbow and makes up her own information

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ComfortablyNum

'Techskills Resources' on Merrion Sq. What a monumental sham of a company IMO! I see that Cpl acquired them. Makes sense based on the bad reputation Cpl also have.

Dealt with Darina at the beginning of 2017. A so-called "manager" who from looking at her Linkedin page has clearly been in the company too long, become too familiar & complacent in her role, loves herself & thinks she has ‘still got it’ (she doesn’t.) She is wayyyyyyyy too over-confident & arrogant in her approach. Went to meet with her to do the usual running through my CV and discuss the roles I was looking for. It resembled more of an interrogation than an agency interview, ramming questions down my throat before I could even answer them. She made the whole experience unnecessarily uncomfortable.

Four months later and after regular emails & calls to her throughout each week, there was the promise of several "opportunities" and my CV going forward to a number of hiring managers but surprise-surprise, nothing happened and another week was lost. She also seems to pride herself in saying “I only ever put 2-3 suitable candidates forward for a role and if I don’t think you’re suited to the job, I won’t put you forward”. Who died and made her deity? Is it any wonder why other recruitment agencies such as ‘Hays’ were putting me forward for loads of senior positions and eventually secured me my current management role, when Darina only offered junior roles and never even secured a single interview?

She then fobbed me off to one of her colleagues when she couldn't produce anything. I got stuck dealing with a new girl who had just started – Aoife. Jesus wept – avoid this woman like the plague. A quick research of her Linkedin profile and she’s been working with horses for more than a decade! How she got a job in recruitment is beyond me? She was a complete nightmare to deal with, one of those “I’m always right”, combative-type, yet stupid annoying sort of people.

Bottom line, you’d have a better chance of securing yourself employment by making a paper airplane with your CV, throwing it out your bedroom window and hoping it lands on the hiring managers desk in your dream company, than you would in getting anywhere with TechSkills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Does anyone know is the salary that good for a recruitment agent? Do they operate a similar system to sales in that they get an extra bonus if they successfully place x number of people in jobs? It seems to be a stressful and difficult job, and attracts a certain type of pushy and arrogant person.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    You should try Primerica in Letterkenny. They are constantly recruiting for software engineering roles. I know people that don't even have degrees in IT that work there. Apparently they're pretty good to work for too, if moving all the way to Donegal doesn't bother you too much.

Pramerica? Eh, having worked there, it's extremely hit or miss. My job was a miss. Not at all what was promised. You're basically an ant and people come and go regularly. The work varies wildly and even after training people have no idea what their job will entail. When you leave they don't give references. It's policy. Also, promotions from within are difficult as the manager will refuse to "release you" for another job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Im really getting tired of applying for jobs online... then the recruitment agency rings me up asking me the same old questions they all do. Getting told I am suitable for the job and they will pass the details forward then nothing.

I don't think the jobs seen on monster.ie or jobs.ie actually exist in my field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If anyone is looking for jobs in the funds or financial services industry please don’t not hesitate to get in touch with Louise Delaney at Quest Recruitment.
    I had an initial conversation with her on Thursday March 29th which was just before Easter. From that conversation she applied for 3 suitable roles. On Tuesday after the bank holiday she came back to me with an interview for yesterday morning and she continued me with an offer yesterday evening. On top of that she also srt up two further interviews for later this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Had one of the oddest experiences of my career life returning a call to a recruit agent (who had rang me on spec, bare in mind) based with Morgan M in Cork.
    Direct to the point of rude/dismissive while firing interview style questions at me over the phone (I repeat she rang me, not the other way around!) while she had my cv in front of her. I think she hadn’t a very clear understanding of what my current role involved and felt the bizarre need to dismiss it. Usually it’s just a quick (respectful) chat about where you are career wise and what they may have on offer to suit (or not). Defo one I won’t be going anywhere near

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Have to agree with former poster with regards to Adecco and also PE Global both were so professional and the best agencies I've used to date. I was looking for temp work and I was never without work. Most importantly they didnt put me forward for jobs/ interviews that weren't relevant or they didn't suggest something to me until they really thought it was 100% suitable for me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

A little birdy told me today that a leading Irish employer (500+ employees) has cut ties with CPL as when it came to renewing contracts for contractors working with this company, CPL were telling employees that the daily/hourly rate was being reduced and keeping the difference for themselves. Company were made aware of it, and hey presto, CPL are gonezo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Hi everyone,

I'm home on Friday for a month to Dublin before moving to New Zealand.

I'm looking for some work to give me something to do and to make some extra money for my travels. I've been out of Ireland for 2 years now as was in Australia so not sure what the job market is like now.

I worked with the 2 big banks in Australia but I'm happy to do any work. 
    Anyone know what recruitment companies are best for short term employment or temp work.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭chancer12

Just came across this site now having posted elsewhere! My DD has just finished a Masters in Marketing and is job-hunting. She's really finding it frustrating as others have posted she's getting calls about jobs she's not qualified for or interested in - agencies just filling an interview panel. She's looking to take any kind of admin role now to get some money while she continues her search but we don't know where to start! Any recommendations for marketing (ideally) but other admin roles, Dublin city centre or southside much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Smegging hell

Anyone have any experiences with Servisource Recruitment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Morgan McKinley

Phone call from MM recruiter on a Thursday.

MM: "Hi Ben, are you still interested in jobs in this sector?"
    Ben: "Yes I am, very interested as it's an area I want to get back into, what are the details?"
    MM: "Great to hear, this job should suit you, I'll email on the job spec, company info, salary details etc"
    Ben: "Perfect, thanks"

Cue radio silence from MM, not returning calls or emails. Morgan McKinley - Shower of cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

Would anyone have recommendations for recruitment agencies in Belfast (dealing in financial services)?

Also, is it possible to just 'drop in' for a meeting with one of the agents?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Shout out to Helen in Solas Consulting who sent over a technical test for me to do on behalf of a tech company, which I did - on my birthday. I sent it back and never got a reply or answered call from her afterwards.

Thankfully this was a few years ago and I haven't had to deal with these scam-artists since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I registered with Sigmar Dublin and the guy sent me three great job specs

Great stuff and I wanted to apply for all of them and the guy said he’d put me forward

I heard zero from him after this and Sigmar ignored my emails.

Two months later another person from Sigmar calls to see if I was interested in a new role but I had sorted myself

They call me every two months and I asked every time to be taken off their list

Then I emigrated and left Ireland and Sigmar still call me!?! Yet when I wanted them they never called me at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I have a very strong background in IT, customer service and software engineering. But after x amount of years and wanting to try something different outside the sector, I applied to 4 separate recruitment agencies for advertised roles as IT recruitment consultants of various levels (graduate to mid level).

6 months later, the jobs are no longer advertised and I never heard back from any of them regarding my applications. If the recruitment company themselves cant be bothered to get back to you, what hope can you expect from them in finding you a job that they present you with.

I've only ever had 1 really positive experience with a recruiter and that was Wes O'Brien at Allen recruitment. An absolute diamond from start to finish and I've heard of other people who dealt with him and felt the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Does anybody know what the laws are regarding retention of data when it comes to recruitment agencies these days? I would have thought that GDPR would have clamped down on this. Like many posters on this thread, I'm still getting calls and emails from them despite being off the market for almost 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i reckon i've registered with half a dozen agencies (mid-west region) in the past month..Adecco, Cregg, FRS, CLS, Sigmar and QED

i told them i'm not fussy anything to keep me going till xmas..even warehouse work will do, they say they'll keep me in mind,

and guess what.....NOTHING...not a peep not a word NOTHING....

i phone them i email them they promise to get back to me ..but ...again NOTHING not a dicky bird

i look up the Adecco website this morning for any vacancies in logistics and there's only one for the entire mid-west region, which makes me wonder whats the point of these agencies? how do they make any money?? do they only cater 3rd level graduates with master degrees and the like??

cause to me they seem to be a waste of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭dmakc

Elevate Partners lied to me before about sending over my CV to a company (a job which four separate recruitment agencies approached me about, but I chose to pursue it with EP as they came first).

A while later I found it odd how nothing was heard back (considering the attention I got I felt it warranted a first round interview). But the recruiter kept saying he's trying to get through to them and to hang on / they're awful at getting back. Eventually I got on to another recruitment agency for clarity and they confirmed my CV was never sent to the company in question. Job was filled by then. Elevate recruiter non reachable.

Going forward to avoid double crossing jokers like Elevate Partners - I'm wondering what is considered SOP / is there a way you can bypass the agency in confidence to confirm with a company your CV has been received? I'm not comfortable being completely at the mercy of recruiters anymore when all you can take is their word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any good IT recruitment firms?

Advertisement