Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment agencies - name, shame (and praise)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Have worked in a lot of sites\companies in past 5 years and you are the first person I have ever heard to praise RealTime.....Thats being 100% honest...Fair play on the job...

The amount of posts he has? 2,500? I could understand if he had a handful of posts to his name, but I really think if this was someone from RealTime they'd have posted on here praising themselves long ago - they've long been a 'popular' name on this thread, after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've been meaning to write this post for a while but never got around to it for various reasons. Anyway, I was looking for a job during the summer after the company I was working for closed down. Now, in the past I've always steered clear of recruitment firms. This is because I had a number of frustrating experiences with them when I was fresh out of college. Between not returning phone calls, sending me for jobs I was unsuitable for and clogging up job websites with non-existent positions I was happy that I had managed to avoid having to deal with them.

After a few fruitless weeks of searching I inadvertently applied for a job that was listed by Solas IT. Right from the beginning of dealing with them I found them courteous, attentive and honest. When they promised to call me back they did. When I asked them to call me before or after a specific time, they did. Most importantly though was that they got me a bunch of interviews for real jobs. Happily one of the jobs suited me and I am a few months into it now and quite pleased with the way things are going.

So, in a nutshell, I had a good experience with Solas IT and would recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I had some helpful calls from solas IT about 6 months ago when i was looking for a job aswell.
    But i have there has def been a big increase in the number of fake postings they post online over the last few months.
    The one or two times i have contacted them about new postings over the last few months ive goten calls saying the jobs have closed and asking if i would be interested in moving to dublin.
    And the worst is def the copy and paste off english job sites which i have mentioned here.
    This is my second time posting here about solas, i dont want it to come accross like i have some crusade against them cos any time ive talked to the guys there they have been nice, i just think the copying adds is very poor form and im sick of looking at all the spam on job sites.
    I know others are guilty of spam aswell.

I'll lay off now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

eth0_ wrote: »
    The amount of posts he has? 2,500? I could understand if he had a handful of posts to his name, but I really think if this was someone from RealTime they'd have posted on here praising themselves long ago - they've long been a 'popular' name on this thread, after all.

Thats exactly what I said..Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Equanimity

Well I am totally fed up with any recruitment agencies I have dealt with.

I have no idea what they are up to.
    They're advertising so many jobs on the main recruitment web sites.
    I am currently unemployed & highly employable and so far from any jobs I have applied for I have not received one reply - nothing at all. Not a note to say they have received your mail nor a phone call to discuss your details etc.

It's absolutely disgraceful that they can get away with this. Employment is a very sensitive issue & they have no right to post fake jobs or indeed invite applications which they simply ignore.
    It's wasting our time and efforts and also giving us false hope.
    People's spirits are down enough when seeking work & being ignored really doesn't help at all.

I think what they are doing is one big PR job for themselves to get new clients (businesses) but what they seem to be achieving is annoying those seeking employment (some who are quite desperate).
    It doesn't make good business sense as if they loose potential employees for the clients, they ain't going to keep them.

I have had to use recruitment companies in the past when hiring staff & I can tell you that in the future I will NEVER use one again. In fact I hope that this is the case for a lot of people.
    I know there are one or two individuals who are decent enough - at least being honest & telling you there's nothing out there, but inviting applications for fake jobs and ignoring them is just disrespectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

Some ideas for disgruntled job-seekers re agencies/job boards etc:

1) Complain to the National Recruitment Federation (www.nrf.ie) if you think one of their members is dicking you around or advertising dodgy jobs

2) Complain to the job-boards - most of them have a code of practice that says "dont post fake or duplicate jobs" essentially

3) Annominity on forums complaining about anything generally does not hold much weight. i.e. if someone goes, my name is Flash Harry (real name) and xyz Recruitment did not respond to a email I sent them 2 weeks ago, then I might think ok, that's a fact as the person is putting there name out there and if it's not true they could find themselves in hot water

4) Contact www.hrri.ie (its a resource HR managers and recruiters use) - I know the guy there and if someone went to him and was willing to put their name against a description of how they were treated, he will name names if you can prove its true.

5) Contact advertsing standards etc

Just some thoughts.....

FH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Priapus

Some ideas for disgruntled job-seekers re agencies/job boards etc:

Hi FH. I reckon most people here (myself included) are just using the forum to vent frustration, as opposed to thinking the negatives they post will have any effect on the named and shamed agencies.

Good practical tips all the same!

I've just stickied this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

eth0_ wrote: »
    I've just stickied this thread.

what does that mean? "stickied"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭donkey balls

QED recruitment dublin applied for a job with them got called in for an interveiw after filling out a 20 page application form(which had a clause saying if you do o/t that they dont have to pay you).
    they said that job x was gone but they had job y i asked what the hourly rate was they said 8.65e needless to say i didnt take the job.

• Advertisement

what does that mean? "stickied"

It means it'll always appear at the top of the list of threads on work/jobs. I thought i'd stickied it before but it had dropped off the first page so I guess I didn't :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Equanimity wrote: »
    Well I am totally fed up with any recruitment agencies I have dealt with.

I have no idea what they are up to.
    They're advertising so many jobs on the main recruitment web sites.
    I am currently unemployed & highly employable and so far from any jobs I have applied for I have not received one reply - nothing at all. Not a note to say they have received your mail nor a phone call to discuss your details etc.

It's absolutely disgraceful that they can get away with this. Employment is a very sensitive issue & they have no right to post fake jobs or indeed invite applications which they simply ignore.
    It's wasting our time and efforts and also giving us false hope.
    People's spirits are down enough when seeking work & being ignored really doesn't help at all.

I think what they are doing is one big PR job for themselves to get new clients (businesses) but what they seem to be achieving is annoying those seeking employment (some who are quite desperate).
    It doesn't make good business sense as if they loose potential employees for the clients, they ain't going to keep them.

I have had to use recruitment companies in the past when hiring staff & I can tell you that in the future I will NEVER use one again. In fact I hope that this is the case for a lot of people.
    I know there are one or two individuals who are decent enough - at least being honest & telling you there's nothing out there, but inviting applications for fake jobs and ignoring them is just disrespectful.

I agree with everything you say, i have plenty of experience with agencies and i know them inside out. All i can say is take everything they say with a pinch of salt. I wouldnt say ignore them - just take everything they say with a picnh of salt - even if they ring you and sound promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 girlka

miec wrote: »
    Hi Girlka, I have sent them my CV for various jobs but have not heard anything from them and it sounds like to me they are totally unprofessional. I did a few hours work for Clarke Recruitment and they gave me a payslip, paid on time and had paperwork sorted.

However, I am peeved at some many other recruitment agencies because they do not even respond most of the time, the multiple postings on Irishjobs.ie, the harvesting of CVs and utter lack of professionalism in many instances is annoying.

Hi Miec,

I am with NOEL RECRUITMENT on a part time casual basis and they still do not give me hours or pay me on time due to office staff member not processsing my Timesheet into the system.

They do not post out my Payslip which I need and always have an excuse.

Am I right in saying under the Payment of Wages Act they are legally obliged to issue me with a payslip and pay me on time.

I still have not been paid for work down over 2 weeks ago....

I feel like going to NERA about them......

girlka wrote: »
    Hi Miec,

I am with NOEL RECRUITMENT on a part time casual basis and they still do not give me hours or pay me on time due to office staff member not processsing my Timesheet into the system.

They do not post out my Payslip which I need and always have an excuse.

Am I right in saying under the Payment of Wages Act they are legally obliged to issue me with a payslip and pay me on time.

I still have not been paid for work down over 2 weeks ago....

I feel like going to NERA about them......

under Irish legislation your employer MUST issue you with a pay slip which shows the amount of hrs worked tax&prsi deductions.
    As for being paid on time its probely upto the company that your placed in to sign off on the time sheet and fax/e-mail to the agency check with the person who you would report to in the company.

I have said it before on this thread avoid QED like the plague i went for a position with them had to fill out a 20 page app form(and in it there was a clause that if you did more than 40hrs that you would not get paid GTF)

also my sis was telling me that a girl in her job did some work for them and had problems getting her p45 once she finished.

and to top it off they asked me to work for the min wage even though im a professional :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Ugh I've spent the last month sending out at least 3 cvs everyday and have talked to a few agencies
    The only ones to give me the time of day so far are Hudson and Elan.
    I'm getting very disenfranchised with the whole thing now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 solictmeholowme

I got a one a tiny temp. 5 hour contract if anyones interested pm me mobile ph cv dublin based... easy work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

Hi Everyone,

Advice, info for you that might help you in this bad economic climate, to open your options in you getting yourself a job and hopefully to ease frustrations, and maybe what I want to share with you, will cut down your time being wasted, false hopes & people feeling worse by depending on job finding channels that will not (for the most part) get you results, in this present economic downturn.

Jobs and employment is difficult to find - Obviously! (re the downturn), people are unfortunately getting laid off etc.

Companies are cutting costs, letting staff go, putting projects on hold, and many from small to large company Bosses, are down on their knees saying the rosary at the end of each additional month, they manage to scrape through.

Supply & Demand - Across most sectors to keep this simple there is a bigger supply of staff VS the demand for companies to hire staff.

Now, I am sure, some of you are thinking at this stage reading my post something like: "YES WE KNOW!!! I'm 6 months or X weeks out of work, been not a hint of a job in my <Insert Your Profession>... do you think we are stupid???"

I want to help you a little if I can?

Look, hear me out, feel the point I am going to make, which seems lost on people for years.

Demand Low - Supply High - Companies Cutting Spending to Zero...

Why the hell would "Many" companies who do need to hire staff in Ireland right now, bother to use Recruitment Agencies to fill positions?
    (For the most part, yes multinationals may use some agencies for some positions, . and lets leave Temp/contract jobs aside re this, as outsourcing temps from agencies suits some companies etc).

I know for a fact in this unfortunate climate, companies could fill most of their own positions or jobs by telling their staff to spread the word to their contacts, doing a bit of discreet forum posting, or sticking a cheap classified in the paper. etc etc..

Why can people not see this simple fact?

Recruitment Agencies it this market - is like a Salesman going door to door in the year 2009 trying to sell a 1960s PYE Black & White Television with 3 channels.

Selling Recruitment Agency serives in this climate (excepting the big mulitnational agencies) as most agencies in Ireland 4 staff I think is the average or was a few years back.

You getting a job via a recruitment agency right now might be compared to the idea of selling you on the idea of downgrading your bathroom and getting rid of your toilet and instead asking you to use a po or potty (chambre pot?) under the bed for pee pees and number 2's which must be emptied each morning.

(perhaps excepting the big gun multimational recruitment agencies who are on PSLs of multinationals or have budget for dropping back handers etc to sustain their position in getting any job specs.)

Listen... You do not need to depend on Agencies to find a Job in a Recession! (keep an eye to them for sure).

Listen, See the Facts above, do you not feel re supply and demand and companies cutting back expenses to zero, why the hell any MD, CEO from SME or Enterprise level, who is sane would waste company money on recruitment services, when a Badly Scrawled with a Marker A4 Sheet of Paper stuck in the company front window saying -
    "Software Engineer Wanted! Drop Your CV into Reception before 23 Dec 09" would probably bring dozens of well qualified job seekers.

Many agencies work staff to sales targets, so with a famine on for agencies now, those who are unethical are going to be more unethical, in what at best of times is an extremely cut throat sector. (In fact, that is the cause of many of the problems with agencies, is the Sales Target Model, it is wrong wrong wrong. if agencies were on a straight baisc salary and a company xmas bonus, and none of this high commission low salary model, then 80% of the BS many (but not all) of recruitment agencies get complaints about, would not happen.

Sure, check in with them, but Jesus.. WAKE UP!
    Stop depending on them! Why... Read what I just posted.

Accept that as a FACT, as I know and can tell you straight, for the post part as I explained reasons above, agencies can do Sweet F.... ALL for the post part for you right now.

Me... I close to 10 years ran my own agency and honesty was the number 1 rule, that is why I set up on my own, as my 1998 - 2000 employer I worked for in Dublin, called C******R F**T**** or somthing like that, pushed staff to get sales in, regardless of ethics, and I could not stomach working in such an immoral environment, so I planned by exit and out. To set up an agency where honesty was the rule. Having pushed it through & survived the 2001 Dot Bomb, 9/11 and Sars, and that other thing where the Gardai would "arrest" sausages & bacon from your car, up on the border with the six counties?

As soon as I seen this recession coming, I slowly closed shop. (when this downturn passes, and it will pass, I will see then if I will re open).
    No thanks, not putting myself through such torture as I did in 2001 running a software engineer IT Rec agency through Dot Bomb when 80% of the clients went bankrupt. (Gods grace is only way, looking back, I managed to keep the thing going, and in the clear.)

Anyway that Bacon Sausage outbreak thing - It was another puller down of the Irish Job sector.
    Now... lets focus on a Solution.
    You MUST become YOUR OWN RECRUITMENT AGENCY FOR YOURSELF.
    Go get lists of all the companies in your Sector or Industry, all that info is out there free of charge. Yellow Pages. kompass.ie , serach online Employers Job Ads go back a few years and build yourself a list.
    Company, Phone, Email, Website, Names of Managers.

Especially you IT people, do those advanced Boolean Searches on google, you often are lead right in the back door of companies, info they themselves put out there. (newsletters, etc, interview with managers or company "white papers" - this is where you can get names of hiring managers.

Go to the library or national archieves and get the all the job sections of last 3 years and spend a day in there, writing down all names companies info who hired or might hire your Job Title.

OK!

Next... email. How many emails do we all get, that get pushed down the inbox, to be forgotten about. Well Agencies for sure would be getting 100s of emails daily. In Feb 2001 in Net Nation 1 day, we got over 600 separate CVs emailed in and we only had a 20 job slot on Irish Jobs. (No room for making up BS jobs on a 20 job slot package), over 600 Cvs on spec emailed in and that was just ONE DAY!! (Dot Bomb days).
    Companies those hr@xzy123.com emails Inboxes of Companies themselves are jammed with CVs of Irish, never mind the 100s of Indians you get most days.

So Your email might just get lost easily, do you hear what you saw in the lines I just wrote?

FAX! now that is a forgotten nice little trick. A personalized letter to a name of the hiring manager, faxed in with summary of your skills gets in 9/10 times past the "gate keepers" and Fax is usually handed straight to Boss. (Trust me on this, I am giving you my secrets.)

Oh so now you complain that you do not have the name of the Hiring Manager?

Or You complain you get incessant voice mail of manager in the company (not agency...forget them for the most part).
    No surprise that, would you blame a Hiring Manager in this climate for have phone on voicemail all day with all them recruiters calling? If it was you, you would have your phone on voicemail all day long too.

Use your brain. You do not have the name of hiring manager, or PA will not give you the name. Well, I am sure you can figure out some way of getting the name. It is life or death re jobs right now. Big companies with security box, now thats a handy place to get a name if you call on Sunday night, you might even get a direct line too. (A little imagination maybe called for).

Or you can do as I did once, as I had a excellent candidate who was perfect for a senior sales role in a global technology co in Dublin, I punched the phone extensions from 6pm to 1am - 2am for 7 nights, until I got the actual direct line of the head honcho of a major global company. Called him next morning, short n sweet, emailed him profile of my sale super star. ok as it happened no job could be made for this top sales guy, but the Head Boss, said "Gerry, anytime you get anyone of that level or anything similar , give me a quick check in call every few months. before 8am is best to call me" (Yes, I did tell him the EMEA CEO I punched extentions for 7 nights to get his direct line, as v hard to get a CEO of that levels direct line , because my candidate a top IT sales guy really was a fit for that company & CEO agreed too, just no opening at that time, and CEO tried to "make an opening" for him, but it was not to me. Was CEO pissed at me for punching extension, 100s & 100s to reach him.. NO! Of course my candiate was very relevant, and I was very quick & straight up. In fact he laughed when I told him how I got his number. These guys like dedicated people.

Now if you know there is a job at XYZ company or that ABC firm sometimes hires people of your Job Title. Then be your own Recruiter, take responsibilty for your own employment, stop relying on others (agencies) to do it for you especially when most (agencies) cannot do it for you in hard times.

You got to be like a dectective, hunt down the "invisible job", make a yourself a simple Database for your sector and go for it.

How do you think recruiters build up company databases of hiring managers?

The way I told you above, go get all the online free databases kompass.ie the companies office, yellow pages, library with 2 or 3 years of Thurs Indo, Fridays Irish Times and Sundays Job papers.

Set it up and every 3 months, send a letter in the post, private and confidential to the hiring manager.

Now Hiring Manager is usally not HR Manager.
    ring a Hr Manager and tell them you got the best Sales Guy from their direct competitor who will bring 3 million euro of new business 80% of HR Types will say. Not Hiring. Waste of time...

Ring the CEO direct or Sales Director of same company that HR Manager F'ed You off, and tell CEO or Sales Director you got the sale super star of their competitor who is seeking to change companies, they mostly will set up the interview ASAP without evening seeing the CV. ( Ethics is Candidate is interested in this example company re potential career change).
    Often candidate is hired within days direct by CEO etc and only much later is HR told and HR might told my CEO to take a hike if they try to obstruct.

Now... Do you see the difference between a Hiring Manager and
    a HR Manager?

If you want a Job, and you are willing to work, following very rough plan which works for sure, I am giving you. You MUST target the Department Manager re your job title e.g. CEO, IT Mgr, Sales Director. Usually for degree needed type jobs go for the CEO, CEO is the one who can often create a non existant job for a good candidate.

If your balls is shakey on trying to make contact with CEOs,
    then go to youtube and find Movie "Full Metal Jacket" with the crazy US Marine Drill Sarget.. " Private Pile, Show me Your War Face!! ARRRRRR!"
    That will get your balls up, as yes, it can be a bit unnerving calling or trying to "inflitrate" 007 style to make contact with Your Target. (assuming your skills and experience are highly relevant and you researched the company etc).

Most Recruitment Agencies do not even do any of that stuff I am telling you to do. That is why they cannot get you jobs, even in the good times.

You do not need them, do it yourself!

Yes, it does take work, yes it is hard and frustrating, but your depending and yourself, you are working your own destiney, your not depending on some dude in some agency who probably cannot get you a job and is clutching at straws re job specs 40 other agencies have too.

Why would you think so low of yourself, to depend on agencies when the Job Miminal demand VS Supply OverSupply of works + Cost Cutting = Agencies nearly ruled out of the process.

Plus these days, a domain, a wordpress blog, and a few wordpress plugins a technophobe like me can bang together a job board in a few hours.
    (Or Jobberbase open source, hire elance.com Indian for 50 bucks to install you. you got a nice job board... ok traffic is other issue)

My point is aside from the diminished to almost zero, ability of 70 - 80% of agencies to get you a job in hard times. (yeah the big agencies who get the massive contracts with Microsoft etc, and the HR people are actually long term recruitment agency staff working on site, as example, you have better chance there for getitng a job).

But with the easy any monkey can make a job board in a day, the whole agency model as it was this past 10 years is going to die away anyway.
    I see a model somewhere between a job board and a low fee agency emergency when bad times pass.

So Another reason not to depend on Agencies.

Look in the mirror, are you being honest with yourself?

Might be time to get off ones butt and while it is a simple PROVEN Plan above, and you cannot go too wrong in following it. Take Action and just make sure you are RELEVANT re skills experience and HONEST when you use my plan to approach companies directly.

It might not happen over night, but if you keep chipping away at the above, you will open doors or indeed find your the exlusive candidate for a hidden unadvertisied job opening, you created, by your pro active Action.

There is a good Book, Guerrilla Job Hunting Book by David Perry who is a top canadian/usa technology headhunter. And this book, more or less says what I have been doing for years which I blasted out above,
    AND.. Gurilla Job Hunting covers all insider headhunters ways of using deep boolean google searches, social networks, it is a MUST buy book.

I also think, since you are going to be Your Own Recruitment Agency this job site, is aimed at in house corporation recruiters, I paid $400 2 years ago for his book Shally S is guys name but mucho free info on
    his job site about how to drill down google, yahoo, bing for jobs or leads or contacts in companies... see www.JobMachine.net

If you are walking down the street, like the time a Cork food company asked me to find a few Van Sales Merchandisers for Dublin. I was having trouble finding CVs, and Sales Manager was gunning me to get him CVs,
    I stood as Thurs & Fridays is day many Van Sales guys deliever and call to shopes etc, I stood for hours on Pearse Street for 2 days, and when I would spot a Delievery Sales Van in the traffic, I would wade through the cars, rap on window, hand the van sales guy a job spec, and see was he interested in calling me later. Crazy...No... I found my guy and a few K euro in arse pocket... nothing crazy about that! ;-)

No reason any of you, if your working on getting a name or a direct contact for hiring manager in a company and you see e.g. a Calyx field engineers car, hand about, find the guy, wait until he comes back or if he car go, rap on window, tell him you need name & mobile number of Sales Manger re a job, and get him to ring in to find out for you there and then, if he does not have the info. Now you got to ask nice, and tell him why you need him to give you this info, and appeal to his sense of decency, help another human being who is unemployed out. drop 10 euro in his lap works....etc

You must take the reigns yourself, get your balls, and to hell with people who cannot help you. Stop complaining, and take some action!

That is 10 years and 80% more than most lazy snobby recruiters in Ireland would do on the hardest working day of their lives, what I have shared with you above.

If you do not like it, fine, do not use it, but please do not destroy it on those readers here who will step up and take control of their destiny and start to use the plan I give you, it is hard work for sure, so do no steal their hope and chances with negtative comments.

For the rest of you.. Go for it.. Use it. It works. and it works in boom times too! Companies will always (90% of them) in good times, go for a direct hire VS expense of recruitment agency, and they are totally correct in doing that. why waste company money, when a great candidates with balls and initaitive seeks out and creates their own opening or job for which they are the only exclusive candidate with no competitors.
    The above plan I give you, cause that to be the case alot of the time.

I am soon making a newsletter, to share more secrets of job hunting,
    you can double opt in, top left hand corner of this temp blogger url
    which is http://jobsfindajob.blogspot.com
    get on the double opt in newsletter, and soon proper blog will be ready full of on the house info for you.

Good luck, God Bless and Best of Luck going forward.
    Hang in, things will change, and indeed they change quicker
    for those who "take the bull my the horns".

Be Irish Be Proud - We are an undefeated race... never forget that!

gerry

Hi Gerry, i've deleted the unconstructive post.

You're probably the only genuine and decent recruiter i've ever dealt with in Dublin and I was very sorry to see you had to close down NetNation. Hope you can pickup where you left off if/when things improve here!

hobnob101 wrote: »
    I am not a recruiter, but yes I do do some work for Jackie Brown Medical (previously unmentioned in this thread).

My WTF comment was because of the huge length of the post and because I found it difficult to read.

Not a well though out post perhaps 8-)

I'm sure there were some good salient points in there, but when confronted with that volume of text......

ps. any chance of turning the signatures back on in the near future eth0_?

If you'd just expanded on your WTF in the first place I wouldn't have deleted the post :P

I don't know what the deal is with signatures, nowt to do with me. Ask in the Help Desk forum perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

I'm not 'unconstructive' really. Here is some good job seeking advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

Hi ya etho_,

that person just gave about 100 people on here a very good reason to rip agencies apar, though it does explain the problems people have with agencies, if such uncaring attitudes are demo'ed to job seekers.
    (esp with their signature...).

I think agencies should be changed or made for e.g. 3 - 5 years strict period work with no commissions but paid a salary like post IT or Financial people are paid. And monitored, if they pass this, the flex the rules.

Its that commission sales driven business model that cause most of the sharp practices. As I mention in other thread, back in 1998 when I worked as an employee in recruitment, UK bosses, encouraged sharp practices.
    Interestingly I was top biller most placement made every year for all of Europe out of 300+ consultants with me doing any sharp practices.

All that "Sharp Practice 2nd hand car sales IT recruitment" BS started in early 1980s in what was then a 1 man recruitment agency called MSB...
    who grew to be very large, and Sharp Play was the Law. The founder Mark Goldberg sold out MSB late 80s ish for 20 million sterling, and promptly bought Crystal Palace Football club and lost the whole 20 million.
    Never would we wish that on anyone, but I often wondered, the sharp practices, the lies, and the pressure selling that made the 20 million for him... was the Karma coming back causing him to lose it all?
    Its like the movie Boilerroom... and I seen the tricks.

Due to Einsteins WTF comment, that makes it harder for agencies trying their best to do right be candidate and client, as people will tar all with one brush. Sometimes fairly pushing to be honest and good agencies can make a mistake or hire a bad consultant or sometimes a misunderstanding, and it does happen. (I made mistakes along the way, esp in earlier days).
    But it becomes very difficult to right a mistake, when others who work in the same industry, do things like the above.

To tell you the truth Etho_ , with the recession, and previous working through 2001 recession. I am very glad and happy to close (for the mid term) net nation, as opposed to pushing through a bad down turn.
    In fact I should have closed it for 2001 - 2003 recession when we were all flush from boom days. LOL! High sight is great!

On another note, I notice a lot of people on the forum mention the NAMES of companies they have interviews coing up in.
    Not a good idea. half the agencies in Ireland will be ringing with seconds those companies, when people post "I got an interview in o2 next Tuesday any advice?" - Best for Job Seekers Not to mentioned where your interviewing as someone might do you out of your job opportunity.

Also never tell recruiters the names of companies your interviewing in.

They will call them the second you hand up the phone, and try and put other candidates in against you.. That is why many agencies try so hard to get you to tell them where you are interviewing and use all sorts of ruses to get the info out of you.

Now do tell them, you have interview or if your close to getting a job, to be fair to the recruiters, but not the names of the companies, not even what area in Dublin. In a job niche it is not too hard to figure out which company, if a recruiter knows the scene well. So yes tell them what stage your job hunt is at, but do not give over the names of the companies as you are shooting yourself in the foot.

if you get a job elsewhere, and your all signed up to start, if an sound recuiter also was working for you, then you might refer them to some leads to companies hiring.. but not until your signed seal & started in your job.
    Otherwise, and I seen it year ago, some sending 10 - 15 CVs down seconds after they manipulated a candidate to tell them which compaies they were interviewing in..

Hope that helps.

In summary re my OP.... if your say Java Developer of Financial Software, start there make a list of similar software companies find out the Software Manager names and be proactive. Thats all an agency does, and I tell you, it will be easier to do direct yourself as your not looking for a 4000 euro fee. LOL!

Barbara Ling.. google "Barbara Ling" Rising Trends is name of her site,
    she is an internet recruiter. You can get a free Boolean Search for google cheat sheet on here site or my opting into her email newsletter.

You can then use the Boolean Search Strings to search deep into google yahoo or msn bing, to find info on companies, (its all there legal on the web, it is just not obvious, not sitting in position no 1 in google, pdf .txt doc etc). things like that will get you the info you need. That is what the top recruitment researchers in the USA do these days to find companies or candidates who are buried deep in the search engines.

RisingTrends.com I think is the site, google Barbare Ling will find it and get your Boolean Search free cheat sheet to help your job search.

It is very useful, and few people here are on the ball re the new top methods the big guns in the USA use.

Hope that helps too.

Over & Under!

Gerry

Gerry, I did not notice the threat in your reply to him until now - please do not go reporting someone to their boss. What exactly are you going to say? "This person replied to my post on an internet message board saying 'WTF' to me!"?

An over-reaction don't you think??

Sorry Millionaire, I cannot allow you to speak to another boards user like that. I think you've massively over-reacted to an innocuous comment and you need to calm down. Banned for a week for personal abuse.

I found what Millionaire posted a bit of fresh air regarding recruitment agencies i have never used his agency as i work in a different industry but have come across recruiters(sales people) trying to sell me a job and being pushy.
    one such agency had a 20 page contract jaysus i dont think i signed as many pages while signing for my house, though one thing that i coped was a page were if you worked more than 40hrs the agency/company that your placed in dont have to pay you.
    i have worked as an ops mgr in companies were your on a salary and its expected of you from time to time to stay back and work late,when i told the recruiter i wasnt going to sign that part of the contract he told me not to worry as it only applies to whse staff.
    alarm bells started to ring out what if that was my brother or your sister working more than 40hrs and not getting paid i have a good mind to report them to NERA.
    i have being around the block a few times and started out in my industry from the bottom and managed to educate myself along the way with training& ojt experience, but it makes my blood boil when i see agencies taking the younger people for a ride using our current situation to beat them down.

Yes, what Millionaire was saying about the recruitment industry is a great read and I have no doubt in what he's saying. But he was abusive and threatening to another poster, so I had to edit and delete some of his posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Some good stuff alright in Millionaires post...I must have caught him out on an off day 5 years ago...Didnt think much of him as a recruitment consultant then, very poor callback and details...Same as your bog standard recruiter...But good post here nonetheless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Is there a regulation against advertising job positions that dont exist?

censuspro wrote: »
    Is there a regulation against advertising job positions that dont exist?
    it should fall under the remit of false advertising but its very hard to police i reported one agency to the ASAI, in fairness they looked into it and the excuse the agency gave them that the job was all ready filled and it was the recruitment website that didnt take it down on time.(utter b*ll*x).
    im in the process of reporting another agency who are the lowest of the low scumbags would be a compliment to call them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭flash harry

it should fall under the remit of false advertising but its very hard to police i reported one agency to the ASAI, in fairness they looked into it and the excuse the agency gave them that the job was all ready filled and it was the recruitment website that didnt take it down on time.(utter b*ll*x).

actually this is possible, happened to me. Got new job in, put up on jobsite called client next day (new client) job was pulled for some reason, tried to take job off jobsite, policy of jobsite 7 days min!!!

FH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

im in the process of reporting another agency who are the lowest of the low scumbags would be a compliment to call them

Can you PM me who they are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

actually this is possible, happened to me. Got new job in, put up on jobsite called client next day (new client) job was pulled for some reason, tried to take job off jobsite, policy of jobsite 7 days min!!!

FH

you need to be weary of scraping sites, there are websites out there that simply scan the web for vacancies and post them on their site then they sell 3rd party advertising on their site. I think careerjet.ie may be one such site. I saw a post on it, called the recruiter (who I've known for years) and he never even heard of the site. It turned out that he had closed the position about 3 months previous, which turns out to be true as when I tried to apply for the job it linkes into another site, and the job was not there, but it was still posted on the scraping site, and he as no way of taking it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, same happened me. The recruitment agency fobbed them off with obviously similar rubbish which the ASAI accepted.

I say keep reporting them, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭KarlDrake

I did some jobsearching for a client the other day.
    He’s a Warehouse Manager and I was amazed at the initial results using google for the phrase Warehouse Manager on pages from Ireland.
    The first six results were from Job Scraping boards.
    Back in my recruitment days I had a running battle with these Scrapers taking my ads, personally posted on various recruitment sites and then reposting them automatically on their sites. Their sites then lead you back to the original site. So far so good, sounds like a good idea, however the problem then is that when the role is taken down from the original site, the scraper site has a lag, due to their crawling techniques, so then when the jobseeker clicks on the ad, it’s now gone and the recruiter looks like a timewaster through no fault of their own!

So, as you can tell no doubt, I’m not a fan of these sites. By excellent, if black hat Search Engine Optimisation they get to the top of rankings, but the original poster has no control over the job on the scraping site, so a company brand can be misrepresented, the jobseeker can find themselves wasting time on these sites and getting disenchanted by how the nasty recruiters keep taking these perfect jobs down!

JobisJob, indeed, careerjet and simply hired are the biggies.

Very simply, what you need to do is have your search parameter, or even better bookmark a google or bing or whatever your weapon of choice is with the following simple string.

-jobisjob -indeed -careerjet -simplyhired

Then enter your keywords at the beginning of the search box. I think these boards are utter timewasters for all concerned bar the link building and ad revenue that they create, so people should take a stand against them! Also, certain legitimate job boards do have a policy of insisting that jobs stay up for at least a week.
    The thinking behind this is that up until recently bigger agencies would employ part time staff to post, delete and repost the same ads, ensuring that these (newer) jobs would be at the top of the rankings. Also, their selling model was based around a certain number of job ads at any given time, rather than say, 500 ads per month, which stopped the practice of posting and reposting several times a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Hey lads, this is a great thread although I find it is a bit long and confusing. It would be great to have a list in the first post or two of agencies people have had positive experiences with and agencies people have had bad experiences with. Just an idea.

But anyway, can anyone recommend a good Engineering recruitment agency in Ireland or the UK? Is it better to go to a specialised agency or should I just apply to a general one? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 nopz

I have seen a lot of positive on CPL, however my one experience with them was OK, however the girl let me go the 1st day to a new job on a bank holiday :mad:

However now i am looking for a job again and was wondering if anyone can recommend a certain person at CPL for IT recruitment?

The have the a job that i am interested in , I just want to get the best agent at CPL.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FourMasters

nopz wrote: »
    I have seen a lot of positive on CPL, however my one experience with them was OK, however the girl let me go the 1st day to a new job on a bank holiday :mad:

However now i am looking for a job again and was wondering if anyone can recommend a certain person at CPL for IT recruitment?

The have the a job that i am interested in , I just want to get the best agent at CPL.

Thanks

I've dealt with Barry Vickers from CPL and had positive experiences with the guy. He has a good understanding of I.T. skills in his area - that shouldn't make him stand out from other agencies but unfortunately it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blonde27

nopz wrote: »

Thanks

Hi There

The company that I work for are looking to fill some Software Engineer roles. PM me for more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 DamienS

Hi,

I've been looking for work the past 2 years, and was in full-time employment as an It Manager for a large company with 650 employees. I have been dealing with agencies in Dublin and Cork over the past 24 months, and I am amazed at the lack of professionalism various agencies show.

My worst 3:

Computer Futures

Complete waste of time. I have dealt with a specific guy who guaranteed me work in july, and never delivered. He then contacted me last week through Linkedin saying he had roles, so I submitted my Cv, and got a call back from him. He said he'd call me back in 10 minutes, and that was a week ago. I called him back twice and got no response

Hays IT:

I got a call from a guy who told me a certain Healthcare company in Cork was looking for a maternity leave covering contract . He rang me in error, but asked me would I interview for the job, still awaiting a date 3 weeks later! Went for an interview last year with them to go through my CV with a girl in Dublin who didn't know who Cisco Systems were!

Verkom:

Awaiting several call backs from last year, I think about May/June time.

I have an impressive CV ranging from PM to Cisco qualifications and Juniper/Fortinet qualifications. I have really lost all faith in agencies, and am currently contracting to make money.

Would be interested in setting up a site for rating agencies, as i think people and companies need to know who is being honest, and who wastes time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 deirdre82

Eden Recruitment - I think these are the worst! The most unhelpful staff I have ever met!

I thought they were supposed to treat you like a customer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

deirdre82 wrote: »
    Eden Recruitment - I think these are the worst! The most unhelpful staff I have ever met!

I thought they were supposed to treat you like a customer?

Ahh yes eden recruitment.... The "We have a job we think for you we would just like you to come in and discuss your CV before we submit it" line......Funny how I cringe when I hear that line...

I once got of an employment agency We have no jobs at the moment but next time your near us we will do a quick run through your CV and see if we are missing something.... I always liked them and am still registered ith them for this line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

Hi Everyone,

Advice, info for you that might help you in this bad economic climate, to open your options in you getting yourself a job and hopefully to ease frustrations, and maybe what I want to share with you, will cut down your time being wasted, false hopes & people feeling worse by depending on job finding channels that will not (for the most part) get you results, in this present economic downturn.

Gerry, people write books with this stuff. Great post. Thanks. Now I need to save your post to rev me up prior to jobhunting.

WRT Recruiters - I used to use them in the boom because they tended to get feedback quicker and get me started in a position quicker than I would if I applied to the company direct especially when I had no experience behind me.

Most companies sent me FO's anyway which are very disheartening - whatever anyone says - or not bother to reply. At least if you are getting some type of reply (even if it is from a recruiter) it does help you continue with the search.

All recruiters are only out for themselves but if you know that (and everyone knows that), you can find a way to use them to your own advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

DamienS wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been looking for work the past 2 years, and was in full-time employment as an It Manager for a large company with 650 employees. I have been dealing with agencies in Dublin and Cork over the past 24 months, and I am amazed at the lack of professionalism various agencies show.

My worst 3:

Computer Futures

Complete waste of time. I have dealt with a specific guy who guaranteed me work in july, and never delivered. He then contacted me last week through Linkedin saying he had roles, so I submitted my Cv, and got a call back from him. He said he'd call me back in 10 minutes, and that was a week ago. I called him back twice and got no response

Hays IT:

I got a call from a guy who told me a certain Healthcare company in Cork was looking for a maternity leave covering contract . He rang me in error, but asked me would I interview for the job, still awaiting a date 3 weeks later! Went for an interview last year with them to go through my CV with a girl in Dublin who didn't know who Cisco Systems were!

Verkom:

Awaiting several call backs from last year, I think about May/June time.

I have an impressive CV ranging from PM to Cisco qualifications and Juniper/Fortinet qualifications. I have really lost all faith in agencies, and am currently contracting to make money.

Would be interested in setting up a site for rating agencies, as i think people and companies need to know who is being honest, and who wastes time!

What price the guy in Verkom that you were dealing with was <removed>??(NAP)

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The Entire recruitment Agency sector is a mess at the moment and it amazes me any reputable Hiring firm uses any agencies in the current climate. Having been made redundant recently i have had some time to observe agency practices and i have to say its a totally Bizzare what is occurring, thankfully one good outcome of the recession is the amount of appalling agencies who have thankfully not survived, this said, some once excellent companies are now in such dire straits,they are employing those dreadful tactics employed by sharks during the boom. I speak as an experienced person who actually once used Agencies in the search for staff in the Boom Times, i am also a member of a professional society related to my sector and this is currently the topic of conversation.

List of Observations:
    A. Listing Jobs that do not exist
    B. Advertising Jobs on the back of recruiting firms posting jobs in the hope they can draw resumes and persuade the recruiting firms to look at their candidates (I actually almost accepted a job recently only to be called by a recruitment agency about the very Job i accepted), i know for a fact the hiring company where not using agencies and infact mentioned this on their advertisement.
    C. Appalling lack of follow up for candidates, in fact three companies based in the midlands have not replied even after requesting resumes for consideration.
    D. Monopoly on a number of Recruitment sites, do a search leaving out agencies and see how little shows up.

Recruitment sites have a lot to answer for also
    A. Bizarre updating of dates over night on Jobs that are posted, amusingly to give an impression there is activity when clearly there is not.
    B. Absolutely no confirmation of applications sent directly from the site.
    C. Dreadful updating practices, take a look at midlandjobs.ie, funded by our friends at Fas, there currently displaying jobs dating back to 2008, extraordinary stuff.
    D. Multiple Listings to give an incorrect impression of amounts of Jobs posted, take a look at Jobs.ie, they have numerous categories in the Hospitality sector but on close inspection, jobs in various categories are repeated more than once under different categories.
    E. The MD of Irishjobs.ie was interviewed by Matt Cooper recently and god bless her enthusiasm about increased activity, as someone who has actually check this site daily, i can confirm her comments are complete nonsense.

So, whats the actual point of Recruitment Agencies, from mine and a number of colleagues perspective, apparently there is no point. They advertise positions, they encourage submission of resumes, neither respond or apparently wish to fill vacancies, encourage candidates only to register solely with individual agencies and yet abandon candidates who are then forced with no option to register else where only to get the same treatment. Its bizarre.

I know i am not alone but i would be interested in some feed back.

My Current honors list goes to
    • Lake lands recruitment, thankfully no longer with us
    • FRS who respond to no one and yet advertise loads of wonderful positions
    • 3Q who call you every two years and suggest you might be interested in jobs that have nothing to do with your field of expertise, o and they don't seem to like emailing. I also wondered is anyone at this company actually qualified in their field.
    • Active Recruitment. Not terribly active at all, again a yearly call but absolutely no follow up and its clearly a one man show.
    I fear the list will grow;)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Dempo1 wrote: »

List of Observations:
    A. Listing Jobs that do not exist
    B. Advertising Jobs on the back of recruiting firms posting jobs in the hope they can draw resumes and persuade the recruiting firms to look at their candidates (I actually almost accepted a job recently only to be called by a recruitment agency about the very Job i accepted), i know for a fact the hiring company where not using agencies and infact mentioned this on their advertisement.
    C. Appalling lack of follow up for candidates, in fact three companies based in the midlands have not replied even after requesting resumes for consideration.
    D. Monopoly on a number of Recruitment sites, do a search leaving out agencies and see how little shows up.

Recruitment sites have a lot to answer for also
    A. Bizarre updating of dates over night on Jobs that are posted, amusingly to give an impression there is activity when clearly there is not.
    B. Absolutely no confirmation of applications sent directly from the site.
    C. Dreadful updating practices, take a look at midlandjobs.ie, funded by our friends at Fas, there currently displaying jobs dating back to 2008, extraordinary stuff.
    D. Multiple Listings to give an incorrect impression of amounts of Jobs posted, take a look at Jobs.ie, they have numerous categories in the Hospitality sector but on close inspection, jobs in various categories are repeated more than once under different categories.
    E. The MD of Irishjobs.ie was interviewed by Matt Cooper recently and god bless her enthusiasm about increased activity, as someone who has actually check this site daily, i can confirm her comments are complete nonsense.

So, whats the actual point of Recruitment Agencies, from mine and a number of colleagues perspective, apparently there is no point. They advertise positions, they encourage submission of resumes, neither respond or apparently wish to fill vacancies, encourage candidates only to register solely with individual agencies and yet abandon candidates who are then forced with no option to register else where only to get the same treatment. Its bizarre.

While I agree with most of what you are saying I just want to make one or two arguments about them. Yes agencies do list jobs that don't exist but unfortunately at the moment employers do the exact same thing. Even though an employer does say they dont use agencies this is in a lot of cases a lie. Employers generally have 2-3 trusted agencies and they have that line up there on the advert in the hope they don't get calls from other agencies. Yes agencies dont reply when they receive your CV but employers do the exact same thing! I've called HR before and submitted my CV for a position and never heard a thing back, it's not just agencies that do it.

In relation to the recruitment sites, yes they do refresh their adverts every evening to make it look like the adverts were just posted. Also on a side note if you put an advert on one of the top recruitment sites in Ireland, you cannot delete it for 7 days. Very annoying when you are getitng calls from people and you have to tell them the job is gone but you have to leave it up there for a week, they automatically blame you even though you have no control over it. Thankfully some people have now edited their adverts to say that the job has been filled.

People can hammer on about the point of agencies, and they should be gotten rid of etc but they wont be so you are jsut wasting your breath. Some of the larger companies only use agencies for their recruitment. Sure some of the smaller ones are trying to go direct and a lot of them are succeeding and fair play to them. But in the last month I have already seen a high demand in some specialist skills that you just can't get from advertising direct so more and more companies will start using agencies again.

I do feel sorry for people who cannot find a job at the moment but the only bit of advice I can give you is USE agencies, if you don't your chances of finding a job will greatly diminish. Yes a few of them are trying to find out where you are interviewing so simply dont tell them. You'll eventually stumble across the few good ones of us that are left.

Best of luck

Thank you for the response which was very objective, i do agree there are a few good apples left out there. I guess my main concern is what is the point of it all, nothing seems to achieved by some sharp practices. I am involved in a Jobs Club in a large town in the Midlands and its shocking to witness the way Agencies deal or sadly in most cases don't deal with candidates, as you can appreciate there are some very high caliber candidates seeking work right now.

In response to the point about employers say they don't use agencies in specific cases, i am 100% sure in the example i gave, indeed as a former senior Manager seeking staff, i too was inundated with agencies trying to fill the positions despite me clearly stating "No Agencies Please", in a number of cases, resumes where actually sent on behalf of candidates without consent and i know of a large number of incidents where candidates current employers where contacted with as you can appreciate led to enormous difficulties. I believe harvesting resumes is an enormous concern at the moment. Some Industries are unfortunately controlled by Agencies, particularly the Hospitality and IT sectors.

I agree, agencies are here to stay but wondered when will the time come for some reasonable regulation, sadly the days seem to be long gone when a company had to apply for a license, its seems now with the use of a good web designer, anyone can set up and perhaps this is the real problem, this said, some very long established companies seem to be as bad as the cowboys :rolleyes:

good post dempo1 while that MD(irish jobs) was on matt coopers show i text the show saying what you said in your first post and guess what it wasnt read out.

my area is in the transport industry and i have being to agencies were the recruiter/sales person will ask you have you got experience in such an area do they need read your resume? these days.
    there is only two agencies that i trust as the guys working there have field experience within the industry(ex ops mgr's)and have a policy of only posting jobs that exist and when there filled the jobs are taking down of the job sites.

Thanks Donkey Balls "Interesting choice of user name":)

Matt Cooper is a rare breed who cuts to the trust when interviewing, on that occasion, it was clear his mind was elsewhere. The MD from Irishjobs talked the talk but the actual lack of Jobs listed or those that have been on display for weeks and months in some cases speaks volumes. I noticed today that apart from Agencies, there was 20 jobs listed in my sector directly by employers, interestingly though i noticed multiple jobs from three employers in a sector that has enormous staff turnover, albeit you would think this would not be a problem in the current climate.

I agree with your sentiments about trusted recruitment consultants who have actual experience in the field they are trying to recruit in. Its shocking what i have come across. One agency had three sisters, one being the boss, not one of them had an iota of experience in the area they where trying to recruit in. Just recently i got a phone call from a firm who i registered with two years ago. Nice girl who said an interesting job had come up and i fitted the bill perfectly, the only problem was i did not have a Medical background, in fact whilst very experienced in my field, it is the furthest thing from medical. I duly followed up with an email about week ago, explaining the error of their ways, needless to say, not a single response yet.

Keep the chin up! it can only get better!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Finally found this thread! Been looking for it for ages... I have just had a strange, but possibly normal run in with an agency:

Next Generation Recruitment ( http://www.nextgeneration.ie/ )

There was a job advertised on it for a junior position. I have 9 years exp in IT, but only just finished degree in the specific area of the job, so, although experienced, I am not to this field (kinda new career move for me) So I said I would pop in my cv, which I prompty did online.

A couple off days past, and as typical with agencies, no response, so I called them. Needless to say, my CV was unopened in the inbox. After a number of HR type questions, I was told this is a 'graduate' role and the salary was 28k. I was on more in my last position, but need a job, so said thats fine (which it is, and its a recession and I'm looking to move into a new field of expertise)
    Aoife chose not to put my cv in straighaway without me going away and "thinking about it" ( whats there to think about, its a job, I need one, you have one!!!???)
    A day past and I got an email asking if I wanted to go ahead with it, obviously I said yes, and she put the CV in (well... so she said, who's to know hey!!!)

A few days have gone now and I sent her an email yesterday asking for a simple update if she heard anything, to which there was no reply.

Last night I went back into Irishjobs to look at the job / spec again, but this time, it was with (the same agency) but a different person to contact and they had the salary up there, 35k to 40k (still junior, no sign of graduate)

Today I went on again, it was gone?

I went onto the next generation website, but its been programmed my blind monkeys, because the site was crap and the search function was more than useless!

Has anybody dealt with these cowboys? Should I expect anything less from them or are they just your usual agency, full of crap and useless at ever doing anything other than getting CV's on file.

:mad:

Hi DanGlee,

Well i am astonished you actually got as far as speaking to someone let alone actually receive an email. I am not however surprised at the all to common end to your experience. I am not in your sector but took a look at this agencies site, one wonders how any employing company would use this outfit let alone many others.

The pattern which is becoming all to evident is these companies only focus which is "WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET A QUICK FEE", heres the scenario. These recruiters approach companies hiring or request to be on a pool of recruitmentt agencies representing said companies. Most companies have absolutely no loyalty to recruitmen agencies so they will retain more than one, hence you will see one job listed by a number of agencies, your likely to see the agencies change the details a little in an attempt to present exclusivity on the placement, at times it embarrassing to witness. An enormous amount of agencies who prospered handsomely during the Boom have now gone bust and most of their consultants are either part time or commission only. The emphasis is on a sale, Fee etc. No time will be wasted (sorry to be blunt) on any candidate who does not fit the bill 100%, you will learn very quickly if you are one such candidate, the telling sign is NO FEED BACK, NO CONTACT, NO RETURN CALLS, soon after submitting your resume which basically ends up as being harvested for the time business picks up and then they agencies will be all over you like a rash.

I am heartened by one aspect of your experience, i noticed for the first time a little honesty from the recruiter who admitted your email was still in the in Box, this honesty is probably the reason another person is handling the vacancy (if it actually existed in the first place) i am very suspicious at how quickly the job was removed from the recruitment website, normally jobs posting are up for a minimum of seven days.

Its increasingly sad to see what you have experienced continuing, forget about one agency, hound them all & never under sell yourself, particularly to a recruitment consultant, leave the bargaining for the interview. Keep the chin up!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Matt Cooper is a rare breed who cuts to the trust when interviewing, on that occasion, it was clear his mind was elsewhere. The MD from Irishjobs talked the talk but the actual lack of Jobs listed or those that have been on display for weeks and months in some cases speaks volumes.

Matt Cooper and the MD of Irishjobs.ie have the same boss - Denis O'Brien.

Not suprising there were no difficult questions...

Advertisement