Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Girls Cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Vegeta wrote:
    current gen or all 3 series

All 3 series, except the M3, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Daihatsu Charade (new type model), Daihatsu Sirion (for women/OAPS) and possibly the Daihatsu Terios (never seen a fella drive one tbh)! Guess that includes the whole Daihatsu range then.... Also;
    Chevorelet/Daewoo Matiz
    Seat Arosa
    Toyota Starlet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

prospect wrote:

even the e30 e36 etc???

if so i'd have to disagree

current gen whatever number we're at then i'd agree but not the e30, don't think i've ever seen a girl driving one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

prospect wrote:
    I disagree. I don't like BMW's myself, but the 3 series isn't girly. Let's not go overboard with blanket statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I generally associate the 2 most recent varients of the 3 series with women, as per this thread title. Nothing you say will change that association.
    Also, this entire thread (which i assume is meant to be a bit of light hearted fun) is entirely based on blanket statements.

Vegeta. I am not up to speed with the model numbers, but after a quick google on the E30, I agree.

Its like this. It is mostly the fashionistas:
    Bleach blonde hair, orange tan, ridiculously big diamond encrusted sunglasses, and dressed like Coleen 'Rooney' (dunno know her surname). They wanna appear like they have loads of money, so theyneed the ultimate 'mainstream' automotive accessory, a BMW. But usually they can only afford a 3 series, with a 1.6L engine. :)

so, based on that, I am sticking with my 3 series BMW nomination, despite Larry Davids objection. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Anan1 wrote:
    I'd have to disagree with that one, at least in Ireland. Any Audi TT I've ever encountered has been driven by a nervous IT nerd in his mid 20s.

Used to work for an VW/Audi dealer.
    The people who drive TT's tend to be 25-35 male (80-90%), tend to work in IT or be accountants and be ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭topher182

mx5
    coupe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

prospect wrote:

They wanna appear like they have loads of money, so theyneed the ultimate 'mainstream' automotive accessory, a BMW. But usually they can only afford a 3 series, with a 1.6L engine. :)

so, based on that, I am sticking with my 3 series BMW nomination, despite Larry Davids objection. :p

Would it not be a bit fairer to maybe put it down as Low Powered 3 Series.

You do normally tend to find anyone in a 323+ to be a male driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

mfitzy wrote:
    Daihatsu Charade (new type model), Daihatsu Sirion (for women/OAPS) and possibly the Daihatsu Terios (never seen a fella drive one tbh)! Guess that includes the whole Daihatsu range then.... QUOTE]

so true that me and my mum both have Dahaitsus and my dad will avoid getting behind the wheel of em at all! but they're great little cars all the same even if their not manly enough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

The MX5 a woman's car?

The 200 plus members of www.mx5ireland.com would disagree.

We have remarkably more male than female members, but one thing I did notice that spearates the MX5 from other "womens" cars, is that the laydees that *do* drive the MX5 have a remarkably sytlish air about them! :p

And they'd all point out it's a drivers car.

M.

• Advertisement

mmenarry wrote:
    The MX5 a woman's car?

The 200 plus members of www.mx5ireland.com would disagree.

We have remarkably more male than female members,

And? Remarkably more males use internet forums than females. Especially car forums.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great little car, and looks sweet, but is undeniabley girly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

BnA wrote:
    Would it not be a bit fairer to maybe put it down as Low Powered 3 Series.

You do normally tend to find anyone in a 323+ to be a male driver.

Just call it 4 cylinder BMW's and that covers it nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Daihatsu Terios, Suzuki Jimny, Suzuki Grand Vitara GV1600, Rav4 3 door, Opel Corsa, Suzuki Wagon R, Opel Tigra, Nissan Micra, Daihatsu Copen, Nissan Figaro, Hyundai Coupe, Hyundai Atos, Hyundai Accent, Kia Picanto,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Opel Tigra has to be the king - it seems it really does look like a 'sports' car to girls. I know. Incredible.

Dont think I have ever seen a guy drive a 3 series compact. If mens cars are extensions of their ***, then who choose one that screams ' CASTRATED'

Didnt notice it on earlier osts but the VW Beetle is as girly as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So everything thats not a saloon/off roader or a super car is a girls car?

A quick glance through the thread reveals the yaris, clio, 206/207, lupo, polo, micra, punto, seichento, chinquecento, corsa, mini, a class etc, etc are all girlie cars. What the hell are us men learning to drive in/ buying as our first car so? Everything cant be a girly car.

Now the kia picanto, thats another story. The ad pretty much specifies it's for girls.

And? Remarkably more males use internet forums than females. Especially car forums.

Don't get me wrong - it's a great little car, and looks sweet, but is undeniabley girly.

In fairness, if theres 200 on an internet forum, then theres probably about 400-500 men driving around in them. I doubt theres the same amount of irish wommen driving them, so by that reasoning, more men than women drive them.

Jury dismissed, case closed.:)

I reckon in superminis, blokes can just about get away with driving, Punto, Ibiza, Polo, Fiesta.

Nothing wrong with the Polo, Ibiza or Fiesta, IMO. It's more the bubbley looking cars that are totally girly - like the Micra, Ka, Beetle, Yaris, Mini, etc....it's more the curvy shape that makes cars look feminine IMO - then of course there's cars like the Picanto & Clio which are marketed towards girls ("Nicole?"...."Papa!").

Yup, it's not a case of saying all small cars, and all off roaders are girly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

_hello_kitty_ferrari.jpg
    it's been photoshopped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

daithtsu copen
    suzuki cappucino
    honda beat
    VW EOS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

colm_mcm wrote:
    Daihatsu Terios, Suzuki Jimny, Suzuki Grand Vitara GV1600, Rav4 3 door, Opel Corsa, Suzuki Wagon R, Opel Tigra, Nissan Micra, Daihatsu Copen, Nissan Figaro, Hyundai Coupe, Hyundai Atos, Hyundai Accent, Kia Picanto,

On the Suzuki Jimny (as some of you know ...I drive one myself:D ) I've noticed something strange. Yeees ..it is a "girly car" ...to an extent. Most young-ish drivers I see in one are female. But much more disturbing, it also seems to be an old fogeys car. The amount of old people I see driving this car is perplexing ...especially when considering the Jimny's suspension setup which isn't exactly kind to slipped disks, aching backs or even something as simple as dentures. Must have something to do with the fact that you can get in and out the Jimny real easy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Is the K11 Micra a girls car? (93-whenever they brought out the frog shaped one)

Personally I think the BMW Z3 1.9 is the biggest "girly" car of all time

The Canyanaro F-Series, but I doubt that counts :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Any coupe or convertible Mercedes is a girls car, yes even the SL 350, a Porsche Boxter is a girls car. In fact I'd go so far as to say any car that draws attention to it, especially convertibles, are for women only and any guy who thinks he looks cool in one is either gay or has a very high opinion of himself. Any flash car I have tends to sit in my garage for me to admire but I have to say I'd feel like a total plonker driving around in it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I note that there isn't a single roadster this side of a Ferrari or Lambo that qualifies, according to this thread, as a male car.

Anyone who worries about such categories is a girly-man, in my view.:D

junkyard wrote:
    Any coupe or convertible Mercedes is a girls car, yes even the SL 350, a Porsche Boxter is a girls car. In fact I'd go so far as to say any car that draws attention to it, especially convertibles, are for women only and any guy who thinks he looks cool in one is either gay or has a very high opinion of himself. Any flash car I have tends to sit in my garage for me to admire but I have to say I'd feel like a total plonker driving around in it.:D
    It's funny how you say that any male who drives a convertible, or a coupe Merc, etc, must have "a very high opinion of himself", yet you constanly boast about how many cars you have, about how slick your cars are, about how you buy flash cars just to store in your garage, and you keep posting pictures of your cars totally unprovoked. Pot, kettle, black, no?

BTW - I don't drive a convertible, or any of the cars you've listed as "girly" - but I just think you're going waaay over the top, and you have a snobby elitest attitude that if it isn't the same model as one of your 34 cars, and isn't black like all your cars - then it's girly. Just get a grip, and stop trying to be the big man about town.

I like you, Junkyard, and I respect your opinions, as they they seem informed, and I agree with almost everything you actually post here, but you come accross as arrogant sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I collect cars, from simple ones to exotic ones. Some people buy works of art to hang on the wall and admire, I buy cars. As far as I'm concerned interesting cars are there to be admired. Most other car collectors I know just collect them and restore them and tbh thats the most enjoyable part of owning them for me. I would prefer to be working under it than posing in it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Meh, it's fine. The MX5 isn't a convertible, it's a roadster. :p

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

junkyard wrote:
    I collect cars, from simple ones to exotic ones. Some people buy works of art to hang on the wall and admire, I buy cars. As far as I'm concerned interesting cars are there to be admired.

Correction: Interesting manly cars are there to be admired.

junkyard wrote:
    I collect cars, from simple ones to exotic ones. Some people buy works of art to hang on the wall and admire, I buy cars. As far as I'm concerned interesting cars are there to be admired. Most other car collectors I know just collect them and restore them and tbh thats the most enjoyable part of owning them for me. I would prefer to be working under it than posing in it.:)

Fair enough - but you're classing way too many cars as Girly, IMO, and you also have to respect the fact that most people don't have the same amount of cash as you do to spend on cars - hence their choices are limited.
    But that still doesn't excuse suckers & wannabe trendies from paying way too much for a retro label car like a new MINI or Beetle....when they could have bought something far better for the same €€!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Citroen Metisse
    Fiat Cinquento/Seicento
    Mini Cooper
    Ford Ka
    Frog shaped Micra (I know plenty of guys who drive the square Micra, not that they like it ;) ).

Advertisement