Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Girls Cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Stark wrote:
    Citroen Metisse

If there's a car called a Citroen Metisse, I'll eat my hat.

Look up what it means in French...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Ernie Ball wrote:
    If there's a car called a Citroen Metisse, I'll eat my hat.

Look up what it means in French...

According to babelfish - it means "Metisse". Wow....

BUT, here's a picture of one:

11079.jpg

I presume it means "concept"....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Ernie Ball wrote:
    I note that there isn't a single roadster this side of a Ferrari or Lambo that qualifies, according to this thread, as a male car.

Anyone who worries about such categories is a girly-man, in my view.:D

Basically any car. What you need is a motorbike. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Fair enough - but you're classing way too many cars as Girly, IMO, and you also have to respect the fact that most people don't have the same amount of cash as you do to spend on cars - hence their choices are limited.
    But that still doesn't excuse suckers & wannabe trendies from paying way too much for a retro label car like a new MINI or Beetle....when they could have bought something far better for the same €€!

I may be a bit extreme when it comes to cars but I take exception to being called a snob or elitist. I've worked on cars since I was 7 or 8 years of age and have loved them with a passion and as a result I spend most of my money on them. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and I've given mine. Tbh I don't really care if anyone takes any notice of what I have to say as far as I'm concerned its all just light entertainment for me. Thats not to say that there are some very well informed people here too whose opinions I would value. But in fairness a girly car thread was never going to be a serious issue was it? If it is then my humble apologies to all I've offended especially you Larry by the looks of it.

Theres a tad too much Clarkson about this thread.

• Advertisement

Was it supposed to be a life or death issue?:confused:

junkyard wrote:
    Was it supposed to be a life or death issue?:confused:

Its more serious than that :)

junkyard wrote:
    apologies to all I've offended especially you Larry by the looks of it.

You didn't offend me personally, mate, as you have never made a remark directed at me, or even referenced a car I drive. I'm just making a general observation.

I just thought you were being a bit snobby by making sweeping statements about ALL convertibles being girly, etc - while at the same time mentioning at every opportunity the fact that you own tonnes of cars - I've only been here a couple of months, and I don't really post too much, but you've stood out as a boaster who takes every chance to mention how many cars he owns, post pictures of them whenever the slightest opportunity arises (with subtle comments like "I can only fit photos of 5 of my cars this time"), and you have an elitest arrogant attitude towards other posters who don't drive slick cars like yours. It may not be your intention, and I'm sure you're very passionate about cars, but I can only call it the way I see it...it is possible to be passionate, yet modest, y'know?

But again - please don't get me wrong - I do find myself agreeing with most of your posts - it's the unprovoked posting of pictures & mentioning of your cars that gives of a slight air of arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Ernie Ball wrote:
    I note that there isn't a single roadster this side of a Ferrari or Lambo that qualifies, according to this thread, as a male car.

Anyone who worries about such categories is a girly-man, in my view.:D

Honda S2000. Manly Man's car.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=S2000

Larry, nothing wrong with being proud of your car collection. It is in fact a motors forum :)

layke wrote:
    Larry, nothing wrong with being proud of your car collection.

Never said there was - but a statement like "Stay well clear of French cars they are absolute rubbish" is such an ignorant sweeping statement to make, and reeks of elitest prattery, IMO. I wouldn't buy a Renault, but I have heard nothing but good things about their reliability. And Peugeot & Citroen can't be THAT bad - but to say that 3 entire brands of popular cars are ALL absolute rubbish just backs up my point about junkyard.

• Advertisement

Its a Clarkonisim. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

junkyard wrote:
    interesting cars are there to be admired.

LOL, this is a new low, even for you Junkyard.....
    TBH, you are rather good at the BS, but you have let your guard down once to often.

Anyway, to prove my point, I was behind two (three lane carriageway) silver 320's this morning, a 1996 and a 1999, both being driven by the fashionistas described in my earlier post.

And, while I am on the topic, could the laydee driving the silver 320i 99-D-795XX (that should be sufficient to avoid legal issues) please note that it is now illegal to use your mobile phone without a hands free kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

What do people tink bout the Honda CRX Del-Sol?

I don't in any way think they are girly but one of the lads is adament that they are.

I was considering buying one in the summer b4 i got a 406 coupe... i still like them so does anyone else tink they are girly?

Will its not a bike, its a convertible/targa, its fwd and its got quarterlights. Really you don't have to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

How has everybody missed the Ford Puma???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

tvr.jpg
    curvy as you like it, but not quite girly...

8604nissan_micra_ice_car.jpg

It's a Micra, Jim... but not as we know it - and def' nothing girly about this bad Mother (4WD, 450 bhp+)

Smart v Ferrari

(it's supposed to be - I can't access the page to verify. If it's not, just Google it). It's a Smart, Jim... but not as we know it - and def' nothing girly about this bad Mother either (allegedly 499 bhp+)

Moral of the story? There isn't any car that's more a woman's than a man's. There's cars
    * that are easier to drive for men than women (e.g. TVRs spring to mind - most I've driven are very steer-heavy),
    * that portray status better than others (irrespective of gender) if that's important to the owner,
    * or simply that meet that person's very own requirements more than others.

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's @ss if people think I'm a bloke's bloke driving my Impreza or a big girl's blouse driving my MX5 - I get to enjoy both cars' respective *and very specific* qualities any day of the week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fey! wrote:
    Actually, the Puma is a great case in point. It's about as girly as it gets, but would I drive one? Absolutely. It all comes down to which is more important to one - image or driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

Fey! wrote:
    Agree but you can exclude the Racing Puma...

How many have owned girly cars? I have....my second was a KA:p

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

Anan1 wrote:
    Actually, the Puma is a great case in point. It's about as girly as it gets, but would I drive one? Absolutely. It all comes down to which is more important to one - image or driving.

I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into buying a Mini Cooper S as her next car. I'd love to have it to drive around in but would never buy one!

Fey! wrote:

Generally by dropping down to third and a heavy right foot. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I'm sorry but, the "new" style celicas are a wee bit girly.

The old style from the 90's were def far more gir manly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Funniest Puma moment I've ever seen was 2 rally ones ploughing into a gap one after the other a few years ago. A friend of mine had to tow them out, and nearly wet himself laughing when he saw them wedged between the pillars! The drivers were seriously not amused!!!

uberpixie wrote:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=529156

If it comes with no roof though...:eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ Larry David & junkyard - keep the topic about the cars and not each other!!!!!

Sorry about that kbannon.

dubstub wrote:
    I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into buying a Mini Cooper S as her next car. I'd love to have it to drive around in but would never buy one!
    Because it's girly? If so then, honestly, who cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

Anan1 wrote:
    Because it's girly? If so then, honestly, who cares!

Don't get me wrong. I'd have no problems being seen driving around in a car that's well let's face it seriously girly but to go out and send 20K on one... that's a different matter.
    Still, I think they're a great little car and I'd love to be able to borrow it. Luckily the reverse won't happen as she's afraid of driving my car anywhere with less room to manoeuvre than a big, empty field! ;)

dubstub wrote:
    Don't get me wrong. I'd have no problems being seen driving around in a car that's well let's face it seriously girly but to go out and send 20K on one... that's a different matter.
    That's a fair point, actually. Personally, if I were spending €20k on a car then I'd be expecting well over 300bhp.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

junkyard wrote:
    In fact I'd go so far as to say any car that draws attention to it, especially convertibles, are for women only and any guy who thinks he looks cool in one is either gay or has a very high opinion of himself.
    There's something quite sad and insecure about that statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

uberpixie wrote:

I wouldn't mind this one! :D

http://www.fensport.co.uk/fensportcars.htm

Advertisement