Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst War Film Ever

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Tour of Duty started off good, but seemed to run out of steam after a while. They tried to widen its appeal I think and it didn't work. UTV used to show it at night. Used to be one when you came in from the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I really liked 'The Thin Red Line' (both versions, but the newer one more so, you have to watch it a few times to really get into it, and an excellent soundtrack to boot!

My nominations....

-Charlotte Grey (is that a 'war' movie?) Anyway I thought it was stupid.
    -U571, for reasons already mentioned.
    -Tigerland

I'm sure there must be a few more......:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I just thought the thin red line dragged on. Im not the "gung ho" type but i suppose if i watched it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭komsomol

omg do not dare call We Were Soldiers a bad film..

Jasuz its one of my favourites, one of few vietnam war films (if any?) that actually portrays the other side (even if in a tiny capacity).

Excellant film, only complaints is the obvious flag waving and drama, but what can you really expect from hollywood nevermind mel gibson.

Also my main complaint is that they almost completly ignored the details of the book, where the main action was actually the withdrawl from LZ X-Ray, they had to march them all back to the fire base, and on the way that was where the bulk of the casualties took place. Nothing bush ambuses all the way home.

Read the book everyone, very detailed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Was anybody else impressed with the series "Over There",I thought it was well done and a shame it did not get a second series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

- have you ever seen the real film of the B25's taking off on the Tokoyo Raid ?
    Any links? I'd like to see that.

=-=

As for SAAB, it was a sci-fi series set in the future. In the future, you always have massive ships.

=-=

Saw an ep or two of Tour of Duty. Wasn't too bad.

Over There, tho, was pretty good. Very real. Maybe too real? Esp some of the plots (killing the kid in front of the convoy, as the dude in charge of the convoy was afraid of an ambush).

=-=

I thought Jarhead was cool. Only bad thing was the sad ending.
    Was hoping he'd get his chance, but no... an airstrike seemed better

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I liked Jar Head because it was different,it told a war story from a different angel.The only prob with Jarhead was the trailers were full of action sequence's and I think a lot of people went to it expecting a shoot them up thrills a minute kind of movie and it was far from this.So a lot of people were disappointed and only people with a military interest as opposed to just looking for an action movie were some what happy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the_syco wrote:
    Any links? I'd like to see that.
    http://worldwar2database.com/html/doolittlevid.htm
    http://worldwar2database.com/movies/doolittle_T1.mov = 4MB
    at 1:42 on TV it looked like the bows dropped in the trough of a wave

footage was in two films so better copies around

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/g40000/g41197.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

did anyone ever c hamburger hill talk about painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Never heard of it. You don't mean the series do you?

Obviously you've heard of it.

Also add China Beach to that list.

• Advertisement

Mick86 wrote:
    Obviously you've heard of it.

Also add China Beach to that list.

Its about films not series, might as well add the A team...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Am I the only one who liked pearl harbour? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Tigerland wasn't a bad film.

If you want a truly bad war film try anything on a digital channel, after TCM on the Sky system. Think it's called movies for men. So bad they are funny.

As for the lad slating SAAB, what was your opinion on Starship Troopers???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Starship Troopers was one of my favorites, ive watched it dozens of times, went to cinema 4 times when it came out... Johnny Rico (what a name) communal showers! how nice that would be in the RDF eh? (remembers what some of our females look like) or maybe not?

now starship troopers 2???

*Morpheus excuse's himself and walks off mumbling about self disembowelment and blunt spoons*

ya see Morph, i wasn't going to mention ST2, for the plain and simple reason that I have successfully managed to avoid it entering my life.

But spoon disembowellment is a sufficent punishment for all those involved. I think they saw the popularity of the cartoon and said, we'll have a bit of that!!!

Morph&#233 wrote: »
    Starship Troopers was one of my favorites, ive watched it dozens of times, went to cinema 4 times when it came out... Johnny Rico (what a name) communal showers! how nice that would be in the RDF eh? (remembers what some of our females look like) or maybe not?

now starship troopers 2???

*Morpheus excuse's himself and walks off mumbling about self disembowelment and blunt spoons*

Starship Troopers I liked. Starship Troopers2 I'm still trying to forget. The horror...

So gents, we have a winner? Starship Troopers 2 is the worst war film ever???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Whilst I admit it was a shit sequel, I thought SST2 was rather good. The thing I hate most is people saying "The special effects are the worst ever", despite the fact the film has not only excellent effects, but they're done by the same company that made the effects for the first film.

I think its a big bandwagon thing....

Suppose I'm the only one looking forward to SST3 then. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

How about - Where Eagles Dare, for the most unbelievable kill ratio

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

HavoK wrote:
    Whilst I admit it was a shit sequel, I thought SST2 was rather good.....

How can it be good and bad at the same time :confused:

It was woeful. I should sue them for the time back. :mad:

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote:

Great film. That part on the stairs - legend.

How can it be good and bad at the same time :confused:

It was woeful. I should sue them for the time back. :mad:

I meant it was disappointing as an actual sequel considering how good the first movie was, but as a film in itself, I thought it was quite good. Dumb and cheap but entertaining.

silverharp wrote:

Lots of flaws in that movie for sure. But it still a classic war movie. Don't compare them with the (apparent) realism of modern movies and series.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gatecrash wrote:
    As for the lad slating SAAB, what was your opinion on Starship Troopers???
    Great film.
    But casting Denise Richards as someone who is supposed to be intelligent :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

cooker3 wrote:
    Am I the only one who liked pearl harbour? :confused:

You're certainly the only one courageous enough to admit to it.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭komsomol

Dub13 wrote:
    Was anybody else impressed with the series "Over There",I thought it was well done and a shame it did not get a second series.

Yeah i bought the dvd boxset the minute it came out here, only reason i did at the time was because i was rich, and i heard its the only band of brothers like series based on the current iraq war.

Though after watching it a few times im both very dissapointed and somewhat satisfied.

Theres a few great moments, and i kinda like the way they portrayed both the soldiers perspective and their families and how the war is effecting their own civilian lives.

Though overall, i have to say that they completly butchered it in the effort to keep it "pc" for those current sensitive times.

It .... had ..... so ..... much .. more potential than what it came out as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

My turkeys are;
    Starsahip troopers,

Micheal Collins .
    Boorman should have been taken to Kilmanham jail and hung by the neck with a reel of his film.Totally inaccurate historically,technically,and just about everything else.But sure it was great, it was made in Ireland.So was Starship Troopers for that matter.

Over there;
    should have been titled who is screwing who while you are away on service.

China Beach;WTF was that all about.:confused:

Any old 1940s war era John Wane Rubbish.The sterotyping even for then is unbeliveable.

Oh lets not forget..The great Escape.A real life event that was totally screwed up by Hollywood,well Pinewood UK .Ditto 633 squadron,the only two redeeming features in those films were their soundtracks INMHO
    Actually most UK war films.All stiff upper lip old chap ,and bash the Jerries for six whatwhat?:rolleyes:

If you found Red Dawn garky,try Amerika,[pass the puke bucket].A three video set that was a NBC drama.Basically the Sov Union invades America,and 15 odd years later a resistance starts to appear.Led by Chris Christofferesn,it only gets going about in the last hour.The rest seems to be who is humping the Russian col whose district Topekia,Kansas falls under.The original title for the book was Topekia Kansas USSR.Which wasnt too bad.But that....
    It only made it over here in Video format,Thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neil Jordan made Michael Collins! :p
    Oh lets not forget..The great Escape.A real life event that was totally screwed up by Hollywood,well Pinewood UK .Ditto 633 squadron,the only two redeeming features in those films were their soundtracks INMHO
    Actually most UK war films.All stiff upper lip old chap ,and bash the Jerries for six whatwhat?

Oh dear. What good are "Jerries" for if not batting for six?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

mike65 wrote:
    Neil Jordan made Michael Collins! :p

Oh dear. What good are "Jerries" for if not batting for six?

Mike.

I stand corrected on Jordan:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What was good about We were soldiers? Schmaltzy overdone hollywood tripe ruined yet further by Mel Sunuvabeehatch gibson. Boring, over emotional, ridiculously patriotic. uuurgh.
    Windtalkers, piss poor too actually.

What about Biggles: The movie.
    Now there is a bad ****ing war movie.

Advertisement