Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst War Film Ever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What about Biggles: The movie.
    Now there is a bad ****ing war movie.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Biggles is a war movie????:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah its totally a war movie.
    (As well as the books obv.)
    Biggles was a pilot during world war two.
    Just because in the movie he went through time somehow doesnt mean anything. It was still a war movie....
    Haha. Biggles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Dude, Biggles was a WWI pilot. It even says so in the link you provide. (1917)

And no, it wasn't a war movie. Any more than Best Defense was.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

In fairness in the books Biggles spans a huge timespan http://www.biggles.info/ the movie is an Action & Adventure movie more than a war movie. Same with Indiana Jones etc. A lot of war movie's are patriotic and propaganda. That was/is their purpose. You can either look past that or not. Pretty much all movies change facts and stories to suit the medium. Some do it well, and sympathetically and some don't.

• Advertisement

Well, after reading Biggles as a kid.I would rate the film as realistic a war film as James Bond being a realistic secret agent.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH 007 is more of a saboteur than a spy.

The film version of Sargent Bilko was dire.

And the plot of Spies like us <shudder>
    Thinking they have begun a nuclear war, the Americans and Russians all pair up to have sex before the world ends.
    If you were minding a nuclear missile, and some overweight blokes had just killed some of your buddies and then fired the missile at their own country,starting a nuclear war - would you have sex with them ???

I don't think they killed anyone. At the missile site, they used tranquiliser darts.

NTM

TBH 007 is more of a saboteur than a spy.

The film version of Sargent Bilko was dire.
    Bond is a total fiction,bastardised from the totally un PC chacter created by Ian Fleming in the 50s.Into a sab/spy/womaniser/superman that advertises the current lads must have gaderty.
    Bilko was not a war film anyway rather a comedy,based loosely on a 50s tV seris.Next somone will say Gomer Pyle USMC was a realistic story about life in the Corps.Or MASH was a realistic portryal of Korea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭komsomol

James Bond was based on the un-confirmed work of the SIS in europe during the second world war. Ian Flemming was apparantly in the SiS and was involved in an operation to kidnap Martin Bormann the Nazi Head of Finance, in an effort for Britain to salvage the massive amount of gold and other treasures gathered by the Nazi's.

The Operation was apparantly called Operation James Bond. Or OP JB.

Theres a book on it with the same name.

Fact or Fiction, you decide. but it can never be confirmed as all official records of such sensitive theoretical SiS operations were destroyed.

But apparantly thats where Ian Flemming got the name of his character for his novels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and there was me thinking he was named after a bird watcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus I thought the world and his dog knew James Bond wrote The Birds of the West Indies which is where Fleming was when he was concieving of 007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Birds-of-the-West-Indies-Book.png

Mike.

komsomol wrote:
    James Bond was based on the un-confirmed work of the SIS in europe during the second world war. Ian Flemming was apparantly in the SiS and was involved in an operation to kidnap Martin Bormann the Nazi Head of Finance, in an effort for Britain to salvage the massive amount of gold and other treasures gathered by the Nazi's.

The Operation was apparantly called Operation James Bond. Or OP JB.

Theres a book on it with the same name.

Fact or Fiction, you decide. but it can never be confirmed as all official records of such sensitive theoretical SiS operations were destroyed.

But apparantly thats where Ian Flemming got the name of his character for his novels.

More than likely total nonsense.It was written by C Creighton,who apprently knew or was related to Fleming.however it clashes with some now known historical facts,IE Bormanns body was found in Berlin in the area last seen in the flight from the bunker,also some really weird things like a raid on a Nazi U boot base in Donegal!!!! Fleming stated he got the name Bond from the phone book in the Bahamas,who did turn out to be an orthinologist.
    The OP JB book can be argued back and forwards,because it is totally impossible to get confirmation or denial on any aspect of it.Sort of like the books on the Masons as well.have to put it in the conspircy theory of things.

The OP JB book can be argued back and forwards,because it is totally impossible to get confirmation or denial on any aspect of it..

Yeah thats the thing.

I still love the idea of it though i have to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Some films are bad but enjoyable (Rambo 2), some are just bad (Rambo 3). Sure, The Great Escape isn't historically accurate but its still a good film. Rambo 3 probably gets my vote as the worst war film I've seen.

elurhs wrote:
    Some films are bad but enjoyable (Rambo 2), some are just bad (Rambo 3). Sure, The Great Escape isn't historically accurate but its still a good film. Rambo 3 probably gets my vote as the worst war film I've seen.

"What do you think John?"
    "**** them"

Cue Rambo taking on column of armour by himself with a grenade launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

HavoK wrote:
    "What do you think John?"
    "**** them"

Cue Rambo taking on column of armour by himself with a grenade launcher.

In a very girrr manly fashion.

Manages to take a HMG round to the leg. Is so gir manly, instead of having his leg blown off and dropping onto the ground in a pool of his own blood dying of shock, the bullet only gives him a flesh wound.

Ties the red bandana around the little scratch and kills another gazzillion Russians by himself.

uberpixie wrote:
    Manages to take a HMG round to the leg. Is so gir manly, instead of having his leg blown off and dropping onto the ground in a pool of his own blood dying of shock, the bullet only gives him a flesh wound.

Ties the red bandana around the little scratch and kills another gazzillion Russians by himself.
    That might work if you were hit with an arrow or old musket ball. A HMG round does much damage by the shock wave. A chest wound that misses a vital organ, would probably still kill you because the the shock wave would liquify most of your organs. A hit in the leg would smart a bit or possibly render your muscles.

Street Fighter - especially the fight at the end

Can we get a vote for "Escape to Victory?"

NTM

<<Shudder>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭nickcave

I had the misfortune of seeing Red Scorpion not too long ago.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0098180/

It's a Rambo knockoff with Dolph Lundgren. Urgh.

nickcave wrote:
    I had the misfortune of seeing Red Scorpion not too long ago.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0098180/

It's a Rambo knockoff with Dolph Lundgren. Urgh.

"I need a band aid"

Great film. Rambo III....Part II.

LOL

I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING HORRIBLE!

Does anyone remember or have seen a amazingly bad film starring David Hasslehoff, based on some american comic book.

He plays a rambo like character with an eyepatch, smokes cigars, set in the future a wee bit.

oooo This might help.

They fly around in helicopters with turbofans, look alot like the ill fated marine VSTOL plane/chopper. I forget its name and google is taking too long.

yes :(

komsomol wrote:
    look alot like the ill fated marine VSTOL plane/chopper.

Can't help you with the movie, but the aircraft is the V-22 Osprey, which has entered service. The first MV-22 squadron became operational about two months back, the Special Forces got their first CV-22 yesterday.

www.gizmag.com/pictures/6486_181106121650.jpg

(Copy/paste: Direct link doesn't work)

NTM

Can't help you with the movie, but the aircraft is the V-22 Osprey, which has entered service. The first MV-22 squadron became operational about two months back, the Special Forces got their first CV-22 yesterday.

www.gizmag.com/pictures/6486_181106121650.jpg

(Copy/paste: Direct link doesn't work)

NTM
    No it wasn't the osprey it was a fictional craft. IIRC it had ducted fans.

Wow the osprey finally goes into service after all the crashes.:rolleyes:
    50 years ago the rotodyne looked like a winner because of it's much simplier setup - none of the hydraulic problems that plagued the osprey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Rotodyne 40 passengers would be about the same as 24 troups , slower but traveled further on half the horsepower, which would probably uprated in later versions . And it could take off conventionally which would imply a greater take off weight than vertical take off. And autorotation was not a problem. Seems like the Rotodyne didn't have any of the special faults of the Osprey and didn't kill anyone either. Be interesting to know if it could have got an extra 60mph cruising speed if the engines had double the horsepower, which as far as I can see is the only thing the Osprey managed better despite 5 decades of technological improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9633v6U0wo

BTW that film was Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blue Velvet

i actually liked red dawn! i thought it was a cool theme and the acting isn't half as bad as people say it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭irishsurfer

We were soldiers was pretty damn bad.

Seconded. I really did not think they made them that bad anymore.
    But then again, maybe a Jewish editor did for our Mel!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

How about Casualties of War? I kinda assumed that somebody else would mention it, but personally, being like 13 when I first saw it, I still thought it was pretty cool. But you know, in reality it sucked ass. Michael J. Fox? What is he gonna do? Shake repeatedly until the enemy becomes nervous and twitchy? Actually thats unfair. Michael J. Fox totally rules, and the fact that he made a war movie totally rules too. So it doesnt suck at all. Screw me!

I also loved Escape to Victory. And that was about the worst movie made ever in the history of bad crossover WW2 / sports movies. But come on! Pele was in it. Rambo was in goals! Michael Caine was in midfield! Bobby Moore! Ozzy Ardiles! Now thats acting talent.

Advertisement