Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtual DJ

• 06-11-2006 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hey does anyone on here use Virtual DJ software?

I have the Hercules DJ Console MK2 which comes bundled with Virtual DJ Home Edition software.

Just wanted to discuss it with people on here to get their feedback on performance, etc.

cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have the same Hercules DJ console Mk1. I've had it for about a year. Great little piece if kit for the basics, but I wish there was somehting better out there. Virtual DJ is very good, aparantly tracktor is better but its overkill for me. I like the way you can record on demand, and the search is excellent. Skins are nice but I only ever use the Console one.
    There is a little bit of lag on it but you get used to it pretty quick. I hate the crossfader, I leave it in the middle and move the 2 volume sliders up and down. If you don't the volume of your mix goes down a bit when in the middle and sounds sh1t.
    Its great but I really hope someomes comes out with a more advanced versions soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭shano

Zascar wrote:
    There is a little bit of lag on it but you get used to it pretty quick. I hate the crossfader, I leave it in the middle and move the 2 volume sliders up and down. If you don't the volume of your mix goes down a bit when in the middle and sounds sh1t.

now that is very interesting... I have been tweaking at all sorts of settings (laptop and VDJ related) to try and overcome some sound and performance issues and I never thought of doing what you outlined above..

Hercules claim MK2 is a far superior product to the MK1 version but this may just be marketing hype..

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

I have been trying to use it with my old laptop, p3 1.2ghz 768 ram, and it works great just mixing on the computer with the normal sound card, but when i try and use the time encoded vinyls with my new sound card, esi u46dj, it gows all poppy.

I have read all the forums and I reckon its something to do with my laptop, I am getting a new one through work next week so I'm going to test it out on that, other wise Ill have to sell the card. :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

shano wrote:
    now that is very interesting... I have been tweaking at all sorts of settings (laptop and VDJ related) to try and overcome some sound and performance issues and I never thought of doing what you outlined above..

Hercules claim MK2 is a far superior product to the MK1 version but this may just be marketing hype..

If you use the crappy skin it comes with, the little lights show the levels when you move the crossfader. When the crossfader is on the far right, all (10) lights are on. When you move it a quarter the way accorss, it is still on 10, but by the time you move it to the middle, it is on 7, and the volume dips a bit. Completely stupid if you ask me. Thats why I use the volume. Lots of DJ's mix like this, I perfer it anway.

If I thought the MK2 was any better I would buy it, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it for me.

I'm amazed more companies are not producing such devices, there is a huge market for them. Berhinger have the BCR2000 but I don't think you hvae the same leve of control over virtual DJ as the hercules.

yeah I really like the little bugger even though it is causing me some problems at the minute. I am fairly patient with software and I am confident I'll nail the performance issues in time even if it does mean upgrading my laptop.

I spent some time researching my gear before I purchased and also considered going for the Berhinger. In then end the fact that Hercules had aligned itself closely to VDJ and there appeared to be a growing user base gave it the slight edge for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I bedroom regularly enough on a hercules and think it's a great machine for the cash....having some issues with it at the moment with VBR mp3s...basically it's loading them but failing to give me a BPM so mixing is all over the shop. I've tried the VDJ forums but they don't seem to like dj console users.

I'm sure there's some sort of plug in to sort my problem but having no luck finding one...anyone know a solution? (apoart from transcoding to non-VBR)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LaMoose

How much does the hercules mk2 cost and where can you buy it?

I picked mine up on eBay (new) about 2 yrs back for about €150....I saw some at pixmania recently, both the mk1 and mk2....anywhere from 100-200 euro. Probably lot of other places, or maybe 2nd hand on eBay if money's tight...

Just figured it out: Go into the Config and then into "Fame Settings". Set "Crossfader" to "Fulll". Default is Smooth which pulls it out too early. Full seems to make it work as it should.

Thank god, this has been bugging me for ages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Saw this one before, has anyone used it, is it any good?
    Is there anywhere in dublin that has these in store to try them out?

LaMoose wrote:
    How much does the hercules mk2 cost and where can you buy it?

I got mine off pixmania for E200: http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/163563/art/hercules/dj-console-mk2-sound-card.html

Be aware that sometimes you may be asked for proof of identity i.e. a copy of a recent bank statement or passport ID with Pixmania. It is (or certainly was) part of their random security check at shipment stage to prevent fraud.

Zascar wrote:
    Just figured it out: Go into the Config and then into "Fame Settings". Set "Crossfader" to "Fulll". Default is Smooth which pulls it out too early. Full seems to make it work as it should.

Thank god, this has been bugging me for ages!

Nice one. Here is another thing I stumbled upon on the VDJ forums yesterday that appears to be rather useful from my brief tests last night:

discobrian24 - Posted Thu 02 Nov 06 @ 08:20:18
    The rule of thumb with the 3.4 is in options select for the gain and always match and after loading set the first song to below -2. I have my dj set his at -2.7. Give it a shot and let me know. You also could always try the demo to 4.1r2 the sound difference is amazing!!!

(For those who don't know, Hercules DJ Console MK2 comes with Virtual DJ Home Edition or version 3.4 as it is more widely known. The VDJ forum and site seems to be trying to convince users to upgrade to the professional edition (4.1) but from I'm not sure this is really necessary for the bedroom DJ or someone just interested in doing the basics and aiming for a quality sound)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 LaMoose

Is there a big differance between MK 1 and 2?

LaMoose wrote:
    Is there a big differance between MK 1 and 2?

The core difference is that the MK2 has 2 soundcards built in and MK1 or DJ Control MP3 as it is now known requires soundcard(s). There are more variations but you can read the two specs at the links below:

DJ Console MK2
    http://www.hercules.com/showpage.php?swcty=UK&p=127&b=0&f=0

DJ Control MP3
    http://www.hercules.com/showpage.php?swcty=UK&p=126&b=0&f=0

Mk1 defo doesn't require a soundcard; it is a soundcard.
    I think the difference is that the mk2 has two separate cards and the mixers and faders work between the cards rather than between the soundfiles (which the mk1 does).

Hmm, interesting. I thought the MK1 had 2 soundcards.

Anyone know if the sound quality has improved with the MK2, as any time I have played live the Sound quality is not exactly impressive. Far less volume compared to Vinyl and some distortion at times. Could occaisionally be low quality mp3's but not all the time. most of mine are 192k or 256k.

I'm considering upgrading but need to know if is worth it. There are a few little upgrades like the ability to hear both tunes in your headphones (which should have been there in the first place) and aparantly the software is better too.
    It crashes on me occaisionally - very embarrassing once. Not likin that

Wertz wrote:
    Mk1 defo doesn't require a soundcard; it is a soundcard.
    I think the difference is that the mk2 has two separate cards and the mixers and faders work between the cards rather than between the soundfiles (which the mk1 does).

sorry if I have given any wrong info - as I said I don't know too much about the MK1..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

serato if that counts

and ableton

both into a djm600, and with an evolution uc33e as controller for ableton (dont use it much tho, not much point when youve a hardware mixer with effects on it)

• Advertisement

jimi_t wrote:

The one thing I like about the Hercules is the jog wheels. I think these are essential for fine tuning the beats. Most of the other do not have that, which means you have to do it on the computer. I want to take my mising away from the pc - I only want that for tune selection etc.

Does anayone here have the Behringer BCD200? Does it work with Virtual DJ does any one know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The one thing I like about virtual dj is that you can have the facility to use time coded vinyl if you decide to get the feel of a real setup.

http://www.virtualdj.com/products/timecode/

I don't really understand why anyone would want to use timecoded vinyl unless they itend to scratch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dj mattmani

i got virtual dj but i lost the serial
    number as my p crashed so i had to reinstall it, i lost alot of good tunes
    anyone got one i could use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

CHEE-KYWA-REZM-ONKY

try that one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

i have Virtual dj
    It skips an cracks when monitoring on my onboard sound
    Never hear anyskips coming through the speakers tho....
    Maybe if I got the DJ console would resolve that problem :confused:

Advertisement