Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda advice please

Options
  • 06-11-2006 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I am going to buy a Skoda Octavia in the new year but a little unsure as to whether I should buy the 1.4 or 1.6.

I original plan was to go for the 1.4ltr but I am just concerned that it is a small engine for such a big healy car.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Definitely buy the 1.6. A little more tax each year but well worth it, it'll actually be better on petrol than the 1.4 because you won't have to drive it as hard. I bought a 1.6 Golf and it's a million times better than a 1.4, a far more relaxed drive.

I know people that have bought 1.4 Boras (similar to the Skoda) and have regretted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If you can get the 1.4 100bhp engine in it you will be fine but if not I would go for the 1.6 if you plan on doing any driving on the open road as overtaking will be next to impossible with the bog standard 1.4 75bhp engine. Just looking at Skoda's site the 100bhp engine does not seem like it's available, looks like only SEAT and Volkswagen have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

don't buy a big car with a small engine... even 1.6 is small but don't get the 1.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I'm driving the 1.6MPI (couldn't spring for the FSI at the time)

I test drove a 1.4 - very sluggish, would not recommend it at all.
    The 1.6 is no record breaker either, but give it the revs and it'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

To be honest I don't think there is a huge difference between the 1.4 and the 1.6. My wife used to own a 1.4 and it is what it is, it's fine around town, overtaking on main roads has to be planned well in advance but its no different to any 1.4 Golf/Focus/Astra in that respect. I was talking to Skoda dealer and he said a lot of his customer come in with the intention of buying a 1.6, drive both the 1.4 and the 1.6, notice there isn't a huge difference, do the maths and go for the 1.4.
    The 1.4 and the 1.9tdi are the big sellers in the Octavia range.
    As a value for money package it is hard to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi for €25000 how can you beat that for value for money.

It will hold its value better than the 1.4 and last longer, easier to drive and the rest.

Diesel all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are two 1.6 litre engines in the Octavia range:
    • The old 1.6 litre 102bhp 8 valve unit which is also found in other VAG brands. This unit has been around for years and is way behind some of the 1.6 litre engines available out there.
    • There is also the 1.6 litre 115bhp FSi unit which costs over €1,000 more than the other 1.6 litre engine. This unit is much better but to be honest it is hard to justify paying the extra money for it as you will not get it back come resale time.
    If most of your driving is done commuting around urban areas then the 1.4 litre will do this fine. If you do alot of motorway driving then I would stretch for the 1.9 TDi 105bhp diesel version.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1.6 will be a hard sell second hand. better to stretch to the 1.9 TDI and go for a lower spec model. The Octavia isonly marginally heavier than a Golf, and the 1.4 engine feels much the same is it does in a Golf. not terribly quick - but adequete and refined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Check the used prices carfully as the TDI could actually work out cheaper or the same overall despite the higher list price. You will also save on fuel costs. But depends on how many miles you do and how many years you plan to keep it. The 1.4 will be quite enough if most of your driving is city, but would consider the extra power worth it if you do much country road driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I have the Mark 1 Octavia 1.6 and would echo some of the comments above - I would recommend the diesel if you can stretch to it. When I was buying mine (second hand) the diesels were like hens' teeth and fetching much better prices than petrols of similar age and condition. I'd even say that if you are planning not to do big mileage it might make it even easier to decide - you'd have an even better advantage come selling time.

On the other hand, I imagine that most Octavia drivers don't buy their cars for power or handling on the limit - so the 1.4 may also have its market come sales time. I haven't driven one but I can say that the 102bhp 1.6 engine in the older model is perfectly fine for most purposes - cruising, most overtaking, etc, and I still get 40-42mpg on my 20 mile commute to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Dilbert75 wrote:
    When I was buying mine (second hand) the diesels were like hens' teeth and fetching much better prices than petrols of similar age and condition.

Same here when buying mine last year, they had a premium of a couple of thousand over the petrol and they were being snapped up by taxi drivers all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I had a 1.4 and I reckon the car is too heavy for the engine and you'll probably find it hard on the clutch, go for the 1.6 or the diesel if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I have a 1.6 estate, my brother has a 1.4 hatch. There is no perceptible experience in the driving experience, which is competent but as dull as you would expect an underpowered large car to be. The diesel has more shove, but is very coarse compared to the competition.

For space, value and quality you can't beat a Skoda. For inspiration, or involvement, look elsewhere. Like Ford. Or Subaru.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi JTO
    I have 06 1.4 Octy since Jan. No problems, very comfortable compared to last 2 cars both felicias estates. The only thing is motorways....Not the overtaking ability, because I don'y want to zip past . If I get into outside lane from second lane I only want to increase speed by 10 or 20mph to reach max motorway speed. The issue I have is that although the engine is slightly bigger and more efficient(felicia had pushrod engine), any gain I expected was more than offset by the extra weight. At max motorway speed the revs are just slightly high for my liking, between 3.5 and4 k rpm.Just under 3000rpm and I doing 60mph(not Kph) with a load up.If I was doing more miles or more motorway driving then I'd look seriously at the 1.9D. Another factor is age...mine not the car lol
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

The 1.6 is at 3k revs at 60mph/100kmh as well.
    I thought this was "normal" - I've always drived TDis, which rev at around 2000 for the same speed.

Advertisement