Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Flying Scotsman

Options
  • 06-11-2006 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a flying scotsman train and have been quoted 180 in Marks models and 170 in the Argos cataloge. I'd prefer Marks because half the stuff I've gotten in Argos has been broken.

Can anyone tell me a) The best place to get this train Shop or web
    b) Is it suitable for a five year old
    c) Am I nuts to spend that much on a present
    That will probably be broken in 24 hours.

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

What size/gauge track is it going to run on?
    eg
    HO-OO-16.5mm,
    N-9mm,
    TT-HOm-12mm

Small precision trains are a bit like precision watches. I guess much depends on whether the track is already bought and what make it is.

For a five year old maybe O or G gauge (the bigger size) would be appropriate? The "plastic" railways come in this size and might do the job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ooof... If you're looking for a train set for a five-year-old, you're probably talking "G" scale or "O" scale. G has the advantage of also running Playmobil trains, if they still make them. They're massive, though, so you need to have a few cubic feet of space to run them on, but they're solid things. I think you are mad looking at E170 on a Hornby-style train set for a five-year-old.

I was three when I got my first train set, but it was more solid than that. May not look like much, but it kept me occupied for hours and hours. Please forgive the embarassment factor of this:

scan0008a.jpg

I cut my teeth on "Lionel O-27" diecast. The things really are train-shaped toys more than proper scale models, and are designed for the younger crowd in mind more than true modellers. Not only are the trains made of solid metal, but they have lots of kid-oriented accessories to play with. Other nice things about it are the center 'third rail' makes wiring a snap as there's no need to worry about crossover loops or other wiring issues (Marklin trains have the same benefit, in HO scale), and the 27 stands for inches in diameter: The trains are designed to work on corners of totally unrealistic sharpness, so it takes less space on the floor. My train set was nailed to a 4x8 piece of wood that would be stored against the garage wall when not in use, most 'realistic' tracks wouldn't stand it. Only catches for that are that Lionel is American, so you're going to be mail ordering by Internet, and that the prototypes are also American. On the other hand, that could be a good thing: American steam locos have lots of wheels, and watching the external workings of the 4-6-2 was fascinating for me as a kid. American freight cars are more colourful, too.

My Blue Comet is a thing of beauty, with smoke, lights, noise, and it is as tough as a tank. I'm 31 now, had it 28 years, and it's still wonderful to look at.

bluecometmth06.jpg

Only problem is that the BC currently on offer from Lionel is a Collector's Edition, at over a grand :P

Seriously though, have a gander for O-27 sets, there should be some which are affordable, and they'll be absolutely rock-solid and kid-proof compared to standard hobby kits. Otherwise, consider the LGB offerings.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Ed.

foxy06 wrote:
    I am looking for a flying scotsman train and have been quoted 180 in Marks models and 170 in the Argos cataloge. I'd prefer Marks because half the stuff I've gotten in Argos has been broken.

Can anyone tell me a) The best place to get this train Shop or web
    b) Is it suitable for a five year old
    c) Am I nuts to spend that much on a present
    That will probably be broken in 24 hours.

Thanks a mill

a) Marks,as if it breaks they will repair it
    b) No way,get him a Lego trainset,or wait until he is 14
    c) See 2nd part of my answer to question b

@ Coolwings,good luck finding a TT trainset

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Ed. wrote:
    ....No way,get him a Lego trainset,or wait until he is 14
    As far a precision small stuff in concerned I would be inclined to agree.
    Big stuff would be stronger, but more costly.
    The plastic Chinese toy trains might be interesting on a "use it several times, throw it out when it breaks basis".
    Ed. wrote:
    .... @ Coolwings,good luck finding a TT trainset
    Aaah, but Harolds Cross is handy enough to get TT scale . :D
    TT scale 12mm gauge is coming to Ireland.

Green Hobby & Model in Harolds Cross has agreed to distribute TT model trains for Tillig and Roco in Ireland.

Should be nice to have a size halfway between OO (HO) and N gauges .

Also raises interesting possibilities of HOm and HOe narrow gauge for light rail LUAS commuter type model rolling stock because they make that nice LUNA track that goes via model roads.

EDIT LATER : I think I will put this bit in a new thread.

Advertisement