Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criticise my Wiggle shopping basket

Options
  • 06-11-2006 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

Any advice on these choices appreciated:
    • Shimano SH-MT20 Shoe - used to have Specialized Sonoma shoes which broke and my sandals getting just a little cold at the moment. Ideally looking for something that is (marginally) walkable in.
    • Northwave Neo Glove - padding is important to me, warmth probably secondary as it doesn't get that cold here.
    • Cateye EL530 And LD1100 Light Set - people have mentioned this one before; is the front light sufficient to actually light up the road, e.g. for cycling along unlit country roads in complete darkness - not something I do out of preference but sometimes end up doing out of necessity.
    • LifeLine Chain Cleaning Kit - I'm presuming this works without removing the chain in some way?
    • Altura Night Vision Waterproof Jacket 06 - I'm choosing this over the cheaper Nevis primarily because I think it may be more visible?

Also looking for shorts and tights, was probably going to go for the dhb ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

General comments, not basket criticism..
    For ease of getting in and out of the shoes you could use Lock Laces. I have them on my runners - brilliant.
    blorg wrote:
    Altura Night Vision Waterproof Jacket 06 - I'm choosing this over the cheaper Nevis primarily because I think it may be more visible?
    I went for a Hi Viz backpack cover because I have a hi viz helmet band, a reflective vest and flashing reflective ankle straps.
    As insulation isn't as big an issue for you, maybe a ligher jacket with similar accessories will be better for you.
    (I have the Airstream windproof jacket in hi viz yellow and Thermastretch windproof gloves in hi viz yellow)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Thanks for those suggestions, exactly what I was looking for. Do you have any views on the lights - what do you use there? Currently I have a Smart Polaris front which is quite visible I would think but no use for actually illuminating the road. Any other generally useful accessories appreciated.

Also - where did you get the Lock Laces, they look very useful all right. (Am planning on doing triathlons next year, will start another thread about that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm a fan of specialized shoes. What are your pedals? I'd be concerned about sole stiffness if you're on egg beaters (don't know about other clipless systems).

Think those lights are pretty good (well, the tail light is definitely). Have a look for comparison pictures of the HL. Found this review. Not much spillage away from spot would be a concern if you're regularly doing country lanes. If it's a twice a year thing then no probs.

Pedals are SPD M520s. My previous (broken) shoes were Specialized Sonomas and my current ones Shimano sandals. If anything I would have found the Sonomas too stiff (for walking) so doubt I would have a major problem with lack of stiffness in the Rockhoppers. Bike is a touring bike (Specialized Sirrus with drop handlebars.)

What other light options would I have? E.g. non-LED options. I will definately be getting that rear light one way or the other. I would probably be happy keeping the Smart Polaris for city cycling and just putting something more powerful on if I am cycling outside Dublin and there is a chance that I won't make wherever I'm going before dark. Most recent (and typical) experience was 50k on the N3 in the dark which wasn't a whole lot of fun. Going to Trim but that road was not going to be possible in the dark, I actually needed the passing traffic just so I could see the road, and at least the N3 has a hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

blorg wrote:
    Do you have any views on the lights - what do you use there?
    That would be the set I would go for if buying new lights. My current front is a 3 LED CatEye OptiCube. Nothing special. IIRC my rear light is a 2 LED Specialized one with a nice annoying flash sequence. I have flashing LEDs in my helmet's rear vents.
    blorg wrote:
    Also - where did you get the Lock Laces, they look very useful all right.
    From Cycle Superstore - e5 a pair. Available in black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

daymobrew wrote:
    That would be the set I would go for if buying new lights. My current front is a 3 LED CatEye OptiCube. Nothing special. IIRC my rear light is a 2 LED Specialized one with a nice annoying flash sequence. I have flashing LEDs in my helmet's rear vents.

From Cycle Superstore - e5 a pair. Available in black and white.
    can't agree with that. I have similar front light (same rear section, slightly different lens) and it's disappointing, particularly for unlight streets. There is no spread or visibility from the sides, just a hyper bright spot.

I would get a set of halogen lights for unlit roads. If it is only occasional you don't want to spend too much money and there's a few sets available at the 70 euro mark. I have this set for night mountain biking:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15442

You could get away with a single lamp system if you aren't going to be traveling at high speed, but if you don't cruise about I'd stick with the dual:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5768

If your riding is going to be more frequent, it would pay to get a system with better build quality, batteries and bulbs, but then you are looking at 250 euro or more. The electron systems are a good point to start at, myself and many of my cash strapped friends are using them to get into night mountain biking.

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I don't know about those particular models but I've used several Cateye lights over the years and always found them very good. I'd recommend investing in some good rechargeable batteries. The batteries (and charger, if you need one) cost a fair bit but they'll save you a fortune in the long run.

The LEDs are probably not so hard on power, but I have an old (had it about eight years) HL1600 front lamp that would just eat regular batteries. Aside from the money, the other plus point is that you can keep them well charged up and always have a good strong beam, none of that wobbly yellow carry on :)

PS On the point of padding, I use Specialized BG Comfort grips and find them pretty good. I have big hands so the bigger profile suits me. Even with Fox Sidewinder gloves on I still reckon I need the padding on the grips to avoid getting numb hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey blorg, I dropped by Cyclelogical this evening and checked out the EL530. As I suspected it is extremely bright spotlight but little or no spillage. From touring I know all about dark country riding and I'd steer clear of this one unfortunately.

As Rob suggests, one of the cheaper HID or Halogens might be an option.

Check out the comparisons here: http://eddys.com/page.cfm?PageID=493

Note the EL 500 (the 530 is brighter, but still concentrated):
    cateye%20hl500%20sm.jpg

Compared to say NiteRider Trail Rat II Headlight ($119.99)
    niterider%20trail%20rat%20sm.jpg

or L&M Solo:
    lm%20solo%20logic%20sm.jpg

If you're on dark roads you won't need any help with one of those on your bars :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 F1 rules

all ive ever ordered is a csc jersey:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The shoes look ok -similar to the ones I used to have, and they were easy to walk in.

The Fenix T1 lights get good praise in some forums, and may well be the one I go for come the winter.

As for shorts, I'm a total Assos convert after yesterdays spin -my F1 uno's are worth every penny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have an altura night vision that I use for commuting. Its very comfortable and EXTREMELY visible. It keeps me warm during winter and is quite breathable. However, I got caught in the rain a while ago and got pretty soaked. The jacked helped a bit, but its not as waterproof as other stuff I have worn (my only comparison im afraid is my golf gear).

Having said all that, its a great jacket and definitely worth picking up if only for the visibilit factor alone.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I have both the dhb tights and shorts. They're not bad but not as nice as my Assos ones.

I'm considering new lights as well, but won't buy until later on in the year. Particuarly interested in getting a bright rear one. Am I right in saying that Cateye one is the strongest on the market? As for the front, I was thinking of going all out and getting a Light & Motion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I hope blorg hasn't been procrastinating for almost two years before deciding whether to go ahead and buy that gear or not :D.

P.S. Wiggle seemingly had no problem shipping chain cleaners a couple of years ago but told me recently that they couldn't ship a Park Tools Chain Cleaner to Ireland.
    Is this due to some ridiculous anti-terror thing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ha, good spot Deepblue, who the heck dug up a 2 year old thread?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Heh, I was wondering why Blorg was buying lights in the middle of summer.

F1 Rules, there are easier ways of telling us all you own a CSC jersey

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

F1 seems to have a rule about dragging up every wiggle thread no matter how old.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I hope blorg hasn't been procrastinating for almost two years before deciding whether to go ahead and buy that gear or not :D.

P.S. Wiggle seemingly had no problem shipping chain cleaners a couple of years ago but told me recently that they couldn't ship a Park Tools Chain Cleaner to Ireland.
    Is this due to some ridiculous anti-terror thing? :confused:
    They can't ship aerosols on planes apparently. I discovered this TWO F'ING YEARS AGO, BTW. Now lets send this thread to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

blorg wrote: »
    They can't ship aerosols on planes apparently.
    That would make sense except that, from what I can see, the chain cleaner doesn't come with any fluids :confused:.
    They may be confusing it with their chain cleaner set which does come with some chainbrite (in sachets instead of a bottle).

Pity, that chain cleaner has been well reccomended on here but seems hard to get :(.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement