Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can frames on a wbpage move as 'one' page?

Options
  • 06-11-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

So there is a top frame, a left frame, and a main frame. Is there a way to make all 3 scroll as a single page instead of just what is in the main frame?

I am trying my hand at something, and so far, I cannot make it work in a tables environment. It is to do with a forums.

Thanks,

Seanie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

The best way to do this is to essentially, eliminate the use of frames. If you need the page to scroll like a normal page, then it sounds like the frames are redundant. It will take longer in the short run to remove all the frames, but, unless there is a really good reason to keep the frames, it will save you time in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Can you use iframes instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Thanks for the tip there Phenom.
    Gordon wrote:
    Can you use iframes instead?
    I am not that far advanced! Have you any pointers?

Serbian wrote:
    The best way to do this is to essentially, eliminate the use of frames. If you need the page to scroll like a normal page, then it sounds like the frames are redundant. It will take longer in the short run to remove all the frames, but, unless there is a really good reason to keep the frames, it will save you time in the long run.

I know where you are comin from, and I understand more advanced developers distaste towards frames.

What I am trying to achieve is for a new site of mine. Part of it has forums/phpBB boards. The main site is not fully running, but if you had a look at www.tullamorelife.net it will give you cn idea what I am talking about.

That page is a tables-based design. For the main cell (akin to a frame) is where I would like to implement the forums. I know this cannot be done, hence the thought about using frams instead. That would give me the same layout, but the lack of scrolling on the left frame is what would bug me.

I came across another thing I think I could use from phpBB.com:

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=218

It is for the additoin of a Google Adsense column on the left. I could try the same coding for the addition of that colum, minus the Google code of course, add some css styles (colours, font, etc), place the ad banners in there, and, as far as I can make out, it would work! The BB header would have the Tullamore Life logo instead of the phpBB logo, so that would almost do it I think.

Seanie.

Urm, I may be missing something here but why do you need frames for that?

iFrames are really very easy to implement on your site. It's basically like an embedded html file with set size. You can have links on your main page and when you click them your iframe will change if you set it to.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iframes+learn&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• Advertisement

Okay, without wanting to pimp another site for any other reason than for example purposes, have a look at www.weddingsonline.ie as an example of what I want to do. The forums are actually part of the webpage, and all of it moves dynamically, as one.

S.

Ah, so you want your forum inside your site right?

Can you not just create your site and put a table in the center - and then within the tableTD insert a php statement:
    <?php include('forum/index.php'); ?>

My php code is probably wrong but do you see where I'm coming from?

Gordon wrote:
    Ah, so you want your forum inside your site right?

Can you not just create your site and put a table in the center - and then within the tableTD insert a php statement:
    <?php include('forum/index.php'); ?>

My php code is probably wrong but do you see where I'm coming from?

Now THAT is the kind of stuff I have been looking for! But, I took it for granted that a webpage/file could not be 'inserted' into a table cell like that! Lets see if I can fnid the right wording of the code to be used...

S.

I think with PHP you can do stuff like that (and presumably asp too). If you dig around your php folders and figure out how phpbb works exactly (as in - what page gets sucked into (inserted into) which page etc then it'll open a few more doors for you.

You can have an html page and insert a <?php function ?> somewhere and (afaiu) the server will execute the php code and pop it into where you put it in the html.

Learn php - you really should if you are using it for your forum.

Cheers Gordon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement