Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDI power boosting

Options
  • 06-11-2006 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

I guess the answer to this query has been well and truly answered somewhere at this stage but I cant find a definitive view. A link or answer if you know would be great.

I have had an 03 Passat 100bhp from new and am considering increasing its power. Happy to pay for chipping/remapping (whats the difference?), and will notify insurance co and pay increase accordingly.
    My concern relates to the general ability of the engine to handle the software change, and what are the risks for its longevity/reliability/maintenance costs.
    Are the TDI 100 engines really identical to the 130bhp version but for the software (or are there component changes also, turbo, injectors, fuel pump - just guessing here, am not a mechanic)
    If so should I change any component when increasing power.
    Do you need to change the service frequency, oil engine oil type?
    Is it likely to decrease the lifetime of the engine - I plan to put another 40k to 50k miles on it over the next 3-4 years.
    Has been serviced twice so far according to the dashboards request by VW - would they have they any problem with servicing it as a 130?
    Any extra risks for expensive component failure?
    Who is best in Dublin area for the job? Does VW do it themselves (saw one post where SEAT (I think) did it for a guy buying a car new)

Have no interest in pushing it up to the extreme mods have seen on some sites. 130, or even just 120 would be fine - whatever i could get without adding undue stress to the engine that would risk pushing up the maintenance cost.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

On one site, it says that you could get your car to 145bhp and the tdi130 goes to 155 so not too much difference. The torque is much greater on the 130 though.

Whats the deal with insurance? Don't declare as they can never know I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Have you read this thread Re-mapping/chipping - is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Look here.
    Fairly impressive but at a big price:o
    These lads got 41hp more out of a mk5 GTI:eek:

Dublin
    Mc Namaras Carburation and Injection Center
    20B Nottingham St
    Dublin
    01 8553555
    T : 01 8553558

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I don't think there should be any change in reliability of the engine, the only concern would be clutch slip due to the increaced torque but I think this really only affected remapped 130/150 tdi's.
    I myself would do an oil change between the vw stated mileage as I think 10/12k miles is too much for a diesel.

The difference between chipping and remapping is, chipping a car would have the ecu removed and a new "chip" soldered onto the board, not many people doing it this way anymore.
    Remapping is done thru the diagnostic port of the car, a laptop is connect to the cars diagnostic port and an enhanced map is loaded onto the ecu. Nothing is physically changed on the car.;)

Cheers,
    Neil.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

As well as the insurance issue, I'd be wary.

I'd want to be 100% certain that in all other relevant respects - wheels, tyres, brakes, suspension, transmission etc the 100 and 130bhp models were identical.

30% is a big increase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

As well as the insurance issue, I'd be wary.

I'd want to be 100% certain that in all other relevant respects - wheels, tyres, brakes, suspension, transmission etc the 100 and 130bhp models were identical.

30% is a big increase.

Thanks for the opinions.

Its the other aspects that are as listed by Henry Ford III that are the nub of the issue for me. I dont want to push the engine to something its not really built for. But if it is built for it, then am happy to pay for the software change and insurance increase.

Was looking at some old price lists and within the VAG/Skoda group they seem to have charged anything between E1500 and E2500 for the 130bhp model over the 100, everything else being equal. But was this buying any more engine or transmission components, or just a marketing price point?
    I am sure there was no original cost difference to VAG for whichever software they were loading in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sandwich wrote:
    Was looking at some old price lists and within the VAG/Skoda group they seem to have charged anything between E1500 and E2500 for the 130bhp model over the 100, everything else being equal. But was this buying any more engine or transmission components, or just a marketing price point?
    I am sure there was no original cost difference to VAG for whichever software they were loading in it.
    Well, back when I lived in Holland 5 years ago, VAG themselves were offering such upgrades through their own dealer network, with full retention of the factory warranty, so make of that what you will. I think there was some kind of age limit on the car, quite low IIRC, in the order of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Check out this guy if your going for a tuning box www.griffinmotortuning.net
    I got my box off him for my 2l 115bhp mondeo and it made a great difference to it performance

Advertisement