Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 - any good?

Options
  • 06-11-2006 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to get broadband with net1, however i have my concerns about them.

I rang them 2 weeks ago to see if i could get broadband from them. They said they would be out the next week (ie last week). When they didn't arrive by friday, i rang them up again to see what was happening. I was told by sales person that her supervisor or boss does the line of sight tests, however he is behind in his work and won't be out till 2 weeks time at least.

Quite frankly i can't believe it. I know net1 are not the biggest company, but i get the imperssion that there are about 5 people working for them. Surely they could get somebody else to do the line of sight tests.
    Now i'm wondering what their broadband service is like.

So if ya have any dealings with them, tell what you think/thought of them.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

Did you ever get anywhere with these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

you think thats bad...........ive been ringing once a week for a line of sight test since june...........every time they say a week,they NEVER come......................
    but have a friend who got them[after 3 months ringing for line of sight test,and after that a month for installiation] and there surberb ie.speed also high and never drops and no problems

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you do a search you will find a couple of threads on Net1 - the basic story is that the service is great once you get it but they will promise you the sun moon and stars in the meantime. They have no sense of customer service whatsoever and expect you to feel sorry for them because they are so busy!!! I kid you not!:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/searchbt.php?search=Net1

i wonder what the record for not coming out is..........i cant imagine i hold it?

i wonder what the record for not coming out is..........i cant imagine i hold it?

That might be a more appropriate question for the Lesbian and Gay and Bisexual forum?:)

• Advertisement

*claps* what a burn............
    but seriously,do i have any rights to complain to some organization at this stage?

*claps* what a burn............
    but seriously,do i have any rights to complain to some organization at this stage?

Sadly no.

thats a bitch.............this means these bastards will always get away with it............anywere to complin that i cant get any broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 routingwithbsd

Well..... you cant complain about a waiting list...... there waiting list does suggest that there broadband service is very good (it is). My Father has them and its excellent.

it rivals most isps, and thats including dsl isps, there equipment and network infastructor is both very fast and very good.

Worth the wait if you can!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I'm with Net1 and have to say they are very good. The service is only ever effected with heavy rain but apart from that it's pretty good. Keep on trying, worth the wait.

• Advertisement

Well..... you cant complain about a waiting list...... there waiting list does suggest that there broadband service is very good (it is). My Father has them and its excellent.

it rivals most isps, and thats including dsl isps, there equipment and network infastructor is both very fast and very good.

Worth the wait if you can!!!

Net1 could help themselves by communicating honestly with those people who are waiting - most people would be prepared to wait I would guess if they had a realistic idea when to expect Net1 to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

when i rang up (prolly around End March 06, beginning April 06 I think it was) to order I was asked where I lived. Luckily there were people in the same estate who had net1 already so they said line of sight should be no problem. they gave me an installation date in May and I got a call about a week beforehand to confirm. the communications was no problem. the installation guys did say they were up to their eyes. i give em a thumbs up, just be patient and keep trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

In the places that Net1 cover, people are anxious to get Broadband. Net1 offer an alternative to dialup where eircom BB are not available, that is why they are up to their eyeballs. Ive waited a long long time, finally going through GBS and I have it now, its great. Always on, high speed, NO CAPS!! what more do you want!?

eh,to get it before i die??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The we'll be out next week continuing is most likely just the sales people trying to stop you contacting other companies to get broadband.

I agree that they'd be best to be honest but at least they offer decent service. Most Irish providers fail to offer either of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Uthred

I initially emailed Net 1 sometime in mid june, as I noticed on their website that the townlands either side of me were now listed as having coverage with them on their website and it listed the townland I lived in as having coverage with them on the Broadband Gov website. I received no response to this email.

In July after exhausting other avenues (IBB could only get a "17" signal when they needed a "23" and Digiweb couldnt provide coverage due to a tree) I decided to contact Net 1, now this is no simple matter of picking up the phone and dialing the number, oh no. It requires a near obsessive dedication to calling the number again and again as you go from ringing out to engaged to rining out to engaged until finally you get through to someone. When I did get through to someone I gave my address and was told I'd receive a call back. After three weeks passed I figured the callback wasnt coming and went through the infuriating effort of getting through to someone, gave my details again and was promised another callback. At the end of the week said callback hadnt come and I rang again, at this point I was told that a new booster station was to be erected in Dundalk in September and this would provide coverage to my area. Yes thats right it took over a month to get an answer to the question of whether there was coverage in the area or not.

At the end of August I posted a question on their support forum - in the area for querying new coverage - questioning wheteher they had meant the beginning or end of september. Time passed and no answer was forthcoming. Rather than put myself through the aggravation of contacting their sales line I waited until the last week in September before contacting them again. At that point I again gave my details, but this time was asked for directions to my house and was promised a callback for the next day. That was monday, on friday lacking a callback I contacted Net1 again and was told that my order was in a queue and I would be contacted by the local installation engineer.

Three weeks later I hadnt heard anything and contacted their sales line and was told that the normal installation wait period is one month. So I waited another week and when I received no contact I fired of an email which I finally got a response to at the end of October asking me to forward them my details again. My reply to their request and subsequent emails elicited no further response until I noticed that the email I had received had been cc'ed to the guy in charge of coverage for the Dundalk area. I emailed him directly and he told me that there was still no coverage in the bellurgan area, an answer which over a month of aggravation had failed to reveal. While he said there should be coverage before christmas I cant help but remember the similar claim about there being coverage "in September". When I contacted him again just before christmas I got a fairly snotty mail which avoided the question and went on about how they had to give preference to areas with more customers waiting - which is fair enough but if that was the case why the hell didn’t they just tell me this in the beginning as opposed to stringing me along with round after round of bull****?

So there you have it, my experience with Net 1 and their, well customer service is a term that doesnt even apply to the above treatment even by its loosest definition. I ended up going with clearwire - which apart from the cap and the port blocking is working out quite well for me (quite stable and works fine for online gaming so far). I would have liked to go with Net1 as Ive heard from other people who got it the service is good.

thier dundalk number dont exist anymore............

brim4brim wrote:
    The we'll be out next week continuing is most likely just
    the sales people trying to stop you contacting other companies to get broadband.

I agree that they'd be best to be honest but at least they offer decent service. Most Irish providers fail to offer either of these.

They don't seem to have any sales people!

THEY Have that women who answers the phone and lies her arse off to everyone.

properly the worst custmomrer care anywhere in the world!

my dad rang the dundalk number on firday and it didnt work..........it doestn exist anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Its rare an isp will tell you they won't have service for years, NTL used to always string out the '2 - 3months now' to people for years. Its good business practice on their behalf though it might be a bit annoying to the consumer......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Uthred

Yeah you have to use the drogheda number, though if I remember correctly if you wait long enough the Dundalk one rings out to an answering machine that tells you the correct number to call - well it did six months ago.

Its rare an isp will tell you they won't have service for years, NTL used to always string out the '2 - 3months now' to people for years. Its good business practice on their behalf though it might be a bit annoying to the consumer......

Why do you consider it to be a good business practise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

dub45 wrote:
    Why do you consider it to be a good business practise?

Stops you going elsewhere and keeps you dealing with them. A lot of companies see it as good practice.

Personally I'd never deal with any company that treated me like that ever again and would be vocal in trying to get everyone I know not to but some people will put up with this crap and in Broadband in Ireland, sometimes you just don't have any other choice of operator.

Sad but true, the only thing you can do is tell them you won't be buying their product for that reason and leave it in the hope they improve their service if enough people do that but I wouldn't hold my breath.

but is it realyl worth sacrificing bb because of that?

Advertisement