Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost an expired domain name

Options
  • 06-11-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

I put together a simple website for a company last year. Their .com domain expired and they did not renew. I certainly didnt receive notification and the business maintains they did not receive notification, however Im not getting into this side of the argument as I have zero confidence in their admin staff. The domain name is now registered to bulkregister.com.

Its not that big a deal as they were planning to switch to .ie anyway. However the .com is number one ranking in most seach engines, so I wouldnt mind getting it back and using it in conjunction with the .ie address.

My question is, is the business in anyway entitled to get this domain back? The domain name is the business name. If they are not, the process is then to simply ask bulkregister how much they want for it? How long before the original website dissappears from the search engines?

tia

Jumpa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I don't recall bulkregister warehouseing expired domains like that before..... Are you sure all the contact details are for bulkregister? As for what you can do well unfortunately .com is no where nearly as zealously regulated as .ie so anyone can buy any domain they wish. If the company let the domain expire then in the registrars eyes they didnt want it anymore. I'd say drop an e-mail to the listed e-mail contact for the domain and ask them if they have plans for the domain if they say no or demand a lump of cash then it will be up to your client if they are willing to part with the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

There is a 'grace' period after a domain name has expired. I think that period is 45 days. Basically the domain will stay in a state of limbo for that period of time. Are bulkregister your domain company for this domain?

Just contact the original provider and they should be able to set it up for you again. They're just parking it at the minute.

Ah I had assumed it was gone passed the redemption stage. Do as rollo said and worst case is you have to pay a nastily large renewal fee as its in redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Jumpa = one embarassed dude!

Turns out it is still with the orginal provider. Its just when I log onto the domain, their was a holding page pointing me to bulkregister.com.

Thanks

// sticks head in sand!

hehe, happens to the best of us. Glad ya got sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement