Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A new car - charges

Options
  • 06-11-2006 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I phoned a garage to check the price of a new car and they told me it was 21,700 including metallic.

However, when I checked it out on the website it was 20,985. I questioned this and they said that the website price does not include metallic or delivery charge.

Is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yep. If you're paying cash you might be able to knock the price down a bit.

Is it a VW by any chance? I've heard rumours* that they charge you extra for any colour besides black or white even if you stick with non-metallic paint!

* wild and unsubstantiated rumours. I've never been rich enough to buy a new car so i've no first hand experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I phoned a garage to check the price of a new car and they told me it was 21,700 including metallic.

However, when I checked it out on the website it was 20,985. I questioned this and they said that the website price does not include metallic or delivery charge.

Is this normal?
    sounds about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Stephen wrote:
    Yep. If you're paying cash you might be able to knock the price down a bit.

Is it a VW by any chance? I've heard rumours* that they charge you extra for any colour besides black or white even if you stick with non-metallic paint!

* wild and unsubstantiated rumours. I've never been rich enough to buy a new car so i've no first hand experience!
    Prices advertised rarely include delivery related charges, so it's most likely the correct price. But why not shop around?

As for VW charging for anything other than black or white paint, that's not true, although they have a very limited number of colours "as standard".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this normal?

This is the industry standard.

The website doesn't include metallic paint which costs between €500 - €700 alone depending on the manufacturer. There are also delivery related charges. This includes the price of transporting the car from the distributor in Dublin via a transporter truck to a dealer's premises anywhere in the country. Also included is the cost of preping the car, ie making sure it is washed, etc and also put number plates on it. Again this can vary from dealer to dealer but most have a set price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

bazz26 wrote:
    This is the industry standard.

The website doesn't include metallic paint which costs between €500 - €700 alone depending on the manufacturer. There are also delivery related charges. This includes the price of transporting the car from the distributor in Dublin via a transporter truck to a dealer's premises anywhere in the country. Also included is the cost of preping the car, ie making sure it is washed, etc and also put number plates on it. Again this can vary from dealer to dealer but most have a set price.

And what is to stop me collecting the car myself from the distributor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And what is to stop me collecting the car myself from the distributor.

The distributor only supplies franchised main dealers with new cars. They do not supply them to the general public or non franchised main dealers of that make otherwise we would all be buying from them and avoid the dealer altogether. The distributor is a kind of middle man between the manufacturer and dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the distributor is paying for the advert, and the price excludes delivery and dealer charges, which vary from dealer to dealer. A motor dealer isn't obliged to charge the same as everyone else.

Advertisement