Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any suggestion for a light,thin,standard performence laptop?

• 06-11-2006 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭

hi,guys~:D my first thread in laptop area ,wish i can get some useful advice here~

since i m studying in college now,lots of stuffs need to do with pc nowadays.:rolleyes:

i wish i can bring in a laptop to school sometimes which probably makes life easier;) i actually got a laptop (Thinkpad R52,bought one for home use,no desktop in ireland as i am an oversea student:p ) but it is so heavy...5kg...which definitely makes my shoulder/back really sore after my whole day study...(anyone here have the same experience??:confused: )the worst thing is my house is 1 and half hour away from school...

so,i am looking for a light,thin laptop.i mostly need it for typing,so,it need to be run smooth in XP(i like the language system in XP,perfectly work in many languages),online,comfortable keyboard,and that's all.i have checked apple and ibm 's notebook products,since the macbook is very famous that they are light and i love thinkpad's keyboard.but they are simply too expensive and i dont really need those powerful specs(i think will go for a thinkpad Xseries if i have no better choice in the end):(

i think these are the specs i need ,as a conclusion of above:
    1.light,thin
    2.comfortable keyboard
    3.512 ram(with standard CPU and mainboard)so it can run smooth in XP, not waiting ages when loging into/shutting down XP.
    4.support wifi/broadband smoothly
    5.all essential ports,especially usb port and lan port
    6.with/or without cdrom,(if it does ,better it can run a dvdburner(while burning dvd) smoothly)
    7.lastly,of course the lowest the price the better and it comes with good warranty and reputation,no point of having a laptop which will break down after few years.

i am not in a hurry and willing to get one next year before september.so,what do guys think of it?i will be really grateful and appreciate to have any advice.Thanks first!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

seraphimvc wrote:
    i actually got a laptop (Thinkpad R52,bought one for home use,no desktop in ireland as i am an oversea student:p ) but it is so heavy...5kg...
    :eek: I have an R50e and it's nowhere near 5 Kg. There must be a hell of a difference between the two.
    seraphimvc wrote:
    so,i am looking for a light,thin laptop.
    The bottom line is that the lighter/thinner/more portable a laptop is, the more you are going to pay. What is your budget?

The IBM/Levono X series is incredibly small and light with at 12" screen. Regular viewers know my affection for IBM. :)

I read a review of a Sony that had a 12" screen - it was very highly rated, but again very expensive, I don't know the model number off hand. AFAIR, Dell also do an ultra-portable, I don't know an awful lot about it, I am sure others can fill you in.

seraphimvc wrote:
    i think these are the specs i need ,as a conclusion of above:
    1.light,thin
    2.comfortable keyboard
    3.512 ram(with standard CPU and mainboard)so it can run smooth in XP, not waiting ages when loging into/shutting down XP.
    4.support wifi/broadband smoothly
    5.all essential ports,especially usb port and lan port
    6.with/or without cdrom,(if it does ,better it can run a dvdburner(while burning dvd) smoothly)
    7.lastly,of course the lowest the price the better and it comes with good warranty and reputation,no point of having a laptop which will break down after few years.
    At this price point, you should probably aim for 1G of ram. It will cost you, but so will the laptop. All laptops at this price point will have wireless/USB/ethernet built in (with very few exceptions). Some of the ultraportables (such as the IBM) have the CD/DVD-ROM drives as external models. This also helps conserve battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

eek: I have an R50e and it's nowhere near 5 Kg. There must be a hell of a difference between the two..[/QUOTE]
    ya...i cant believe it as well...:p i actually weighted it...its like 4.7kgsomething....when you hold it in hand,its fine,i think it is lighter/smaller(but it has a 15'' screen:D yeay) than most of the laptop i can see in the school(they have got those seriously multimedia-home-use laptop,well,most of them are live in campus anyway)...but after the whole day study...you put it your bag and bring it home...thats killing me:o

tom dunne wrote:
    The IBM/Levono X series is incredibly small and light with at 12" screen. Regular viewers know my affection for IBM. :)..

i love ibm as well!!:D i never thought i will get this one of the best laptop brand as my first laptop!!well,i am just lucky,i think they make a error of the price at that time,after a month i bought mine,the price of it(exactly the same model/specs)raise 200euro more!and thats the reason i bought it,,i knew that price is very unusual.
    tom dunne wrote:
    The bottom line is that the lighter/thinner/more portable a laptop is, the more you are going to pay. What is your budget?

I read a review of a Sony that had a 12" screen - it was very highly rated, but again very expensive, I don't know the model number off hand. AFAIR, Dell also do an ultra-portable, I don't know an awful lot about it, I am sure others can fill you in.

At this price point, you should probably aim for 1G of ram. It will cost you, but so will the laptop. All laptops at this price point will have wireless/USB/ethernet built in (with very few exceptions). Some of the ultraportables (such as the IBM) have the CD/DVD-ROM drives as external models. This also helps conserve battery

my budget is actually depends:p depends on the market trends and price.example,if i can get a thinkpad at 1000euro,but a 800euro DELL(or others brands,i dont really care what brand though,just a compare example) would be good enough for me. so,in this case ,of course I would like to pay 200 more for a far more better(once again,depends on the specs,they have big differences or not) Thinkpad.;)

i'll check out dell and hp today.since i am really not in a hurry,I just like to listen whatdo you guys think.maybe some of the advices will give me some help.:D

strangely...sometimes you hard to know the weight of those laptops selling out there now...

i assume there is not much demand of market of wanted-light-thin laptop nowdays?:confused: everyone is using laptop as a 'portable pc can do anything anywhere' now...

found this 1 from cnet
    http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Pavilion_dv2000t/4505-3121_7-32000604.html?tag=lst

very good specs light and thin enough and with a good price!!wonder do they have this model here?

and this one is not bad as well,but seems it has a not-that-comfortable keyboard...nut i womder how much is it??
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ie/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12320450-76523673.html?&jumpid=in_r2515_hmc_psg_hho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

seraphimvc wrote:
    it need to be run smooth in XP(i like the language system in XP,perfectly work in many languages)

Other than your requirement for XP, I would suggest an Apple MacBook, which will probably be core 2 duo by the end of this week or next. Works great in a multi-language environment.

Hell, you can even put XP on it if you want...

hc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

samsung q35 .. 12" screen 1280 ram 120gig hd, intel core 2 duo T7200 ,1.8kg
    1500 euro including shipping from uk
    www.digiuk.co.uk

just bough one myself..

mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

hughchal wrote:
    I would suggest an Apple MacBook, which will probably be core 2 duo by the end of this week or next. Works great in a multi-language environment.

hc

Core 2 Duo on Macbooks today :)
    Cheapest one is €1100-ish, that's before student discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Core 2 Duo on Macbooks today :)
    Cheapest one is €1100-ish, that's before student discount.

Forgot to record the pre-core2duo prices, are these new ones much more expensive than the older plain-Jane core duos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

hughchal wrote:
    Forgot to record the pre-core2duo prices, are these new ones much more expensive than the older plain-Jane core duos?

I would agree, definatley go for the mac book. but there is one alternative, have a look at the sony vaio c series http://www.sony.ie/view/ShowArticle.action?section=en_IE_Products&article=1159199112517&site=odw_en_IE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

hughchal wrote:

What is the current state of this? Flawless, Stable, as stable as windows gets, or hit and miss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What is the current state of this? Flawless, Stable, as stable as windows gets, or hit and miss?

I have XP Pro with all the updates. Not having any real problems other than the usual hard drive full so slowing down performance issue which is expected given I know I need to clean it to free up my virtual memory.

I think XP Pro is as stable as Windows is going to be for a while (in other words I have no faith in Vista) and I think it is stable and that most program crashes seem to be more that applications fault than XP's.

Just keep a firewall installed, anti-spyware installed, anti-virus installed and keep them updated and download Firefox or Opera instead of IE and you should be okay I think.

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote:
    I have XP Pro with all the updates. Not having any real problems other than the usual hard drive full so slowing down performance issue which is expected given I know I need to clean it to free up my virtual memory.

I think XP Pro is as stable as Windows is going to be for a while (in other words I have no faith in Vista) and I think it is stable and that most program crashes seem to be more that applications fault than XP's.

Just keep a firewall installed, anti-spyware installed, anti-virus installed and keep them updated and download Firefox or Opera instead of IE and you should be okay I think.

can you actually just format the laptop by XP as easily as pc??:eek: i never thought anyone will actually run windows on Apple's product1:p is the OSX pre-loaded in the laptop?or it comes with cds?

I think it is stable and that most program crashes seem to be more that applications fault than XP's.

:confused: mind to tell me what actually is tat means?program crushes??which means many window-based softwares got some problems when running on it?:confused:

Advertisement