Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice in the SU bar, Late License??

Options
  • 06-11-2006 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Is there gonna be a late bar for this? Otherwise it will be a little bit pointless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Yes. Or so Holly said a few weeks back anyway. Plan is to have late bar for all major acts playing in the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Yes. Or so Holly said a few weeks back anyway. Plan is to have late bar for all MAJOR ACTS playing in the bar.

So I take it that there will never be any bar extensions eh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

We voted the girl.
    We take the consequences.

So far have not be impressed with her at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Red Alert wrote:
    We voted the girl.

i agree,
    but if you dont have the contacts then there is only so much you can do!! handy year out after your degree and looks good on the auld CV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Red Alert wrote:
    We voted the girl.

Dont think you can blame her for anything. A lovely girl whose totally enthuisistic. But one must remember the crappy selection of bands she has to deal with. They all sound and look the same. Diversity is the spice of life, but in Ireland we just dont have that. Directors, Editors, Repubic Of Loose, Blizzards are the bands who play over and over again. With the Exception of Bell X1 the UCD Ball was just a rehash of all the events that UCDSU Ents had put on during a fantastic year. Unfortunatly Anto was always going to be judged on the ball and from what I hear the jury is still out.

Irish bands are all the same. The reason Thin Lizzy, U2 and Van Morrison made it so big was because they offered something different. They were flamboyant and entertaining. Today's bands are the same. They all sould like Coldplay, Kasabian or the Frames. That is really bad. Guitar bands are beginnig to bore the arse off people, because they are boring and generic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

BTW when are they playing?

Surely a better ents officer would know exactly what bands people want and not book rock music's answer to elevator music.

I don't doubt the fact that she's a nice person. Enthusiastic and all as she is, she has been a poor performer so far and is one of the worst ents officers i have seen in all my years here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Red Alert wrote:
    Surely a better ents officer would know exactly what bands people want and not book rock music's answer to elevator music.

I don't doubt the fact that she's a nice person. Enthusiastic and all as she is, she has been a poor performer so far and is one of the worst ents officers i have seen in all my years here.

Theres been worse.... Geroid Cashmann failed to fufill any of his empty election promises.Holly is so far not in his league. I think she's doing a good job. Personally I think Marc Ryberg and Dave Sherry were better then Anto Kelly. They had a real mix of events to cater for all music tastes and Marc started open mic night,to me still the best night on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i havent really been following other ents, but Justice are a huge coup for a student night. They've garnered massive support in the dance community over the last couple of years. I wouldnt be able to pick holly out of a line-up and dont particularly care who she is, but she's got my support if she can maintain acts of this calibre. it's really funny to see the look of confusion on some people's faces when an act who don't play middle of the road or amateur rock are in the bar, it was the same to a certain degree when jaques les conts was playing last year. (not aimed at anyone here)

here is their best known song, won best video at the mtv music awards the other night. I can't wait for this now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

griffdaddy wrote:
    jaques les conts )

Who?
    I suppose that explains your point! :)
    I hear Justice are playing Manns in Rathkeale next week;)

panda100 wrote:
    I hear Justice are playing Manns in Rathkeale next week;)
    hahaha, yeah i'm gonna give it a miss though, it's just gonna spill up the road to superbites and lead to a load of incomprehendable pilled-up traveller shouting:D

Anyone know when it actually is on?
    Jacques Lu Cont was the best night I've had in UCD by far, looks like there's a decent electro/dance following in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

http://www.ucdents.com/

Thurs 16th Nov - 10 euro

Nice one cheers, been missing a bit too much college lately ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Anyone else think that flashing picture on the ents site should come wit an epilepsy warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

it pissed me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Anyone else think that flashing picture on the ents site should come wit an epilepsy warning?
    My eyes, it burns!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Red Alert wrote:
    We voted the girl.

SOME of us voted for the girl. SOME of us didn't. SOME of us predicted what would happen and were told we were wrong - by her campaign manager, fellow students, men thinking with their members, people trying to prove a point about girl-power. SOME of us are now being proved right, and I wish we could say we were enjoying it, but frankly it sucks.

So, when's Rag Week with it's International mystery tour? I can't wait for that one. Damn, I wish I hadn't recycled her manifesto now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

My GOD that is an annoying flashy pic thing, when did anyone think that was a good idea?? On the other hand...good to see they finally got the site up again...its only November, not like they missed the whole first term or anything...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Justice and DancePig! Definitely going to be the highlight of college so far for me , been looking forward to it for weeks and a load of friends of mine are being dragged along - really glad to see dance acts like this coming into UCD. There's definitely a big enough following to sustain bringing in acts like Felix Da Housecat, Ms. Kittin, Jacques Le Cont etc... so I do hope they keep it up.

As regards other peoples comments about the role of the Ents Officer, the likes of Mundy/Aslan/Editors/Republic of Loose are all well and good, especially when trying to cater for a majority, but I think people are beginning to get a little sick of the same alt.rock bands all the time. And I don't just mean putting on more dance acts - like I really hate heavy metal, but I think that they should try putting on a heavy metal night inside in the SU given the self-evident following in UCD. I reckon the role of a good Ents officer should be to diversify into different genres, not just go with the safe, pedestrian option (no offence to fans of the mentioned bands, just my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

was anyone in the bar last night!! the band that were playing were......how will i put it..........SH*ITE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

tintinr35 wrote:
    was anyone in the bar last night!! the band that were playing were......how will i put it..........SH*ITE
    Was this the student bar? Because I thought that the three bands were quite good.

Blush's post says it all....

(i'm male remember and i didn't vote for her!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I don't think thw ents office has ever run anything I've had the slightest interest in.

Justice however do look fairly good.

Red Alert wrote:
    Blush's post says it all....

(i'm male remember and i didn't vote for her!)
    yeah it's a shame she couldnt get some big name stars in like emilia, james blunt or the connells, they really capture the frantic, happy go lucky nature of student life!:p

Advertisement