Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost per network point

Options
  • 06-11-2006 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hey,

[SHORT VERSION]
    Is there a standard rate per network point to charge when installing a network?

[LONG VERSION]
    The network will be installed in a smallish sized rural school with between 8-10 rooms networked with at least 2 points in each room. I will be also installing a comms cabinet, 16/24 port switch and patch panel. I will then be setting up each computer on the network with antivirus software and firewall software. The router is already supplied as part of the schools broadband program.

I am not a sparky but am a network engineer/IT man who knows how to cable. I have installed a few of these before and I know what I'm doing but I think I undercharged for the jobs in the past but then again I was kinda learning at the begining. There will be an ex eircom cabling man doing the job with me also. My point is I would consider that we can install them very well and neatly so thus we should be charging the going rate. Anyone know what that is?

I was thinking 50 euro per point and 70 euro per double point plus cost of comms cabinet, patch panel and switch. Setting up of the computers and any other work being at my normal rate of 45 euro per hour. Is that too much or too little?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

You shouldn't be charging on a per point basis.

Charge what your time is worth an hour. cost of the points + mark up.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

It depends to the cable runs, would factor 80 to 100 euro per point. I presume wireless is not an option.

Also the Cisco's provided as part of the schools BB are firewall enabled so firewalls are not required on the clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

there are guidelines on what kind of cable is used (fire\pollution reasons) for schools. Make sure you do your research on this.

Most sparks I have dealt with charged 80per point. If you are not a sparks, my advice is to get one in to do the cabling, its a good way to cover your a$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks everyone for the replies. I just have a few questions/comments that maybe ye can help me with.
    You shouldn't be charging on a per point basis.Charge what your time is worth an hour. cost of the points + mark up.
    Its just thats the way I though sparks did it i.e. charge per point and the principal wanted an idea so that he could say how many points he wanted.
    It depends to the cable runs, would factor 80 to 100 euro per point. I presume wireless is not an option.
    Is that 80 to 100 euro per point? i.e. double point = 160 to 200 euro? or 80 to 100 per double point?

I don't like the idea of a wireless network in a school for 2 reasons. Firstly the radio waves - just like I wouldn't like to see a vodafone mast next to a school, I wouldn't use wireless unless there is no other choice. Secondly, I think hardwiring is always better unless it cannot be physically done.
    there are guidelines on what kind of cable is used (fire\pollution reasons) for schools. Make sure you do your research on this.
    I think you mean plenum cat5 cable. From that I know that is just used if going through air conditioning systems or hanging ceilings.
    Most sparks I have dealt with charged 80per point. If you are not a sparks, my advice is to get one in to do the cabling, its a good way to cover your a$$.
    As above is that 160 euro for a double point?

I know 6 sparks personally and only one of them actually has an idea of data networks. Another guy just wired a network in a factory with 100+ network points - and I had to show him what to do. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they are even thought about cabling networks in apprenticeships with FAS.

I am actually rewiring the network because the spark that wired it (they just renovated and added extension to the school) didnt have a clue what he was doing.

He put the network points up really high on the wall in each class room.
    Brought all the network points back to the main office and brought them into the office really low on the wall using conduit inside the wall and left the cables short (with no slack in the attic) so that I would have to put the comms cabinet about 50 cm above ground level.
    The principal told him he wanted at least 2 points per room - the spark only put in one point per room - he probably thought "sure all they need is a double adapter to make it two points".

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

axer wrote:
    The principal told him he wanted at least 2 points per room - the spark only put in one point per room - he probably thought "sure all they need is a double adapter to make it two points".

If you plan on just using 10/100 on the network, you only need 4 wires from each cable (pins 1,2,3,& 6). That way you can use the one cable for two points. I'm sure the sparky did not have this in mind, but it may allow you to use the existing cabling, however as the points are high up on the wall this may not be a workable solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

rash wrote:
    If you plan on just using 10/100 on the network, you only need 4 wires from each cable (pins 1,2,3,& 6). That way you can use the one cable for two points. I'm sure the sparky did not have this in mind, but it may allow you to use the existing cabling, however as the points are high up on the wall this may not be a workable solution.
    I wouldn't even attempt it on a 100baseT network. There would be crosstalk between the wires, it might not be a huge amount but it would make it a bad installation and that is enough for me. I would possibly consider it if it was 10baseT network and I was stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

I do a bit of cabling from time to time and what I'd normally do would be to quote for the sockets / conduit or trunking / cable seperately - work out how much you want to charge for the physical sockets on the walls based on 2 /4 points , approx cable run and then whatever trunking you need.

State on your quote that additional sockets may need more cable/ additional trunking so that you can always beef up that amount if the customer changes their mind and wants more sockets.

I always bill labour on top of materials at an hourly rate ... easier to quantify amount of work this way and work out exactly how much to charge.

Advertisement