Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aluminium filler/Epoxy?

Options
  • 06-11-2006 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I have an aluminium object (not car related sorry) with a big scratch in it... Is there any strong fillers/Epoxy out there that I could use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Loctite to a range of metal fillers - they do an aluminium coloured one which is a two-part paste you mix and fill with. Car body filler will do it but you need to etch prime over the repair and then paint it. Most hardware places (Tripart, Tuam Road if you still live in Galway) sell a product called RectorWeld - a two part epoxy metal paste which I used to repair dents in alu plates on welding electrodes. I'd recommend it.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Oh wait, an aluminium 'object' eh. Buy it in an 'adult' shop? How did you scratch it? Go on, we won't tell anyone...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Loctite to a range of metal fillers - they do an aluminium coloured one which is a two-part paste you mix and fill with. Car body filler will do it but you need to etch prime over the repair and then paint it. Most hardware places (Tripart, Tuam Road if you still live in Galway) sell a product called RectorWeld - a two part epoxy metal paste which I used to repair dents in alu plates on welding electrodes. I'd recommend it.

'cptr

Ah right, never knew there were metal fillers.

RectorWeld sounds like the stuff im after. Is it expensive? Will it bond to aluminium without much prep work? (I'll be filling into bare aluminium)

Advertisement