Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in final year thinking about next year?

Options
  • 06-11-2006 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Anyone thinking of doing something different next year, like taking a year out to try something new? I'd love to go to France to improve my French even though my course has nothing to do with French. Don't know what kind of job to get though. Thinking of trying TEFL.
    Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

trying to think about it as little as possible TBH

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm thinking about repeating my finals. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I'm thinking about repeating my finals. :/
    Yeah right, don't make me laugh, genius! Thats more likely to happen to me since I've already failed an exam this semester. Is 15% really as bad as it sounds?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to take a year out before applying for my masters. I dont want to have to worry about how to make applications better and that sort of thing while also worrying about the fact that I have half my finals in just over a month! There's only so much worrying I can handle!

I still cant believe I'm in final year, time sure has flown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd take a year out but I already did Erasmus last year. Just want to do something short and useful in the workplace and be done with education for good. No idea what though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Only going into final year next year but have to come up with my thesis idear.

As for after college - plan is to work for a few months then come back to do a masters - currently trying to decide between comp sci or radiography for my masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've been thinking about it quite a bit, really want to get out of Ireland for quite a while but farther than that I haven't got a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

JustCoz wrote:
    Anyone thinking of doing something different next year, like taking a year out to try something new? I'd love to go to France to improve my French even though my course has nothing to do with French. Don't know what kind of job to get though. Thinking of trying TEFL.
    Anyone else?
    We're going to Dijibouti for the year, remember we organised it in the lecture today!

Oh yeah, how stupid of me! Thanks for the reminder Besty. Who's the prime minister again? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You're all bunch of wasters. Start contributing to society already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bah, society.
    I'm not in final year yet... passing 3rd year will be the challenge first! No idea what I'm going to do when I finish, probably go get a job. Tempted to do a graduate diploma in women's studies when I finish, just because it interests me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Speaking from the point of view of someone who went straight into a Masters...

DON'T DO IT! TAKE A YEAR OUT, FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST AND ALL THAT IS HOLY!!!!

Ok, that may have been mainly me just venting, but my point still stands: Give yourselves a break before rushing into something like more academia.

You'll be glad for the break when ya get back. That's the impression I get from those who took a break before going into their MAs/PhDs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Up untill about three weeks ago I was sure that I wanted to do a Masters (literature and publising in Nuig or publishing in London) but now I think that I'm not really ready to leave Dublin and I need a break from the aul lectures and essays buzz so I might take a year out.

Of course if I take a year out it's another year living at home since though my parents are happy to finance any post-grad work that I'm seriouse about and might lead to actual employment prospects they'd expect me to save up some money if I took a year out, which I couldn't really do while paying rent, bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Taking a year out to live at home and work sounds a bit insane to me, did it when I dropped out in first year and hated it! But I do agree with seb, I think this is my 19th straight year in education and I need a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I'm the complete opposite, I went straight from school into college and straight from there into an MA and now that I don't have anything to do with my brain I'm getting restless and antsy so I'm writing a PhD proposal. I like the idea of getting all my education out of the way quickly and not fecking around, no breaks for me thanks. I thought about taking a year off between second and third year because I had clinical depression, but I realised that not being in college would just make me even more depressed, so I just ploughed on with it.

I could see the sense in taking a break before launching into something big like a PhD, but a masters is over in a year, which is really no time at all.

My attitude towards the learning and the bukes and the shady groves of academe is probably more rabidly enthusiastic than most people's though.

The thought of going straight into a masters after a four year degree is pretty disgusting. There's no way I could do it. I can see why you would to get it out of the way but I think i'd self-destruct

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Won't somebody please think of us who are already gone past 4 years here, and still don't have a degree? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Speaking from the point of view of someone who went straight into a Masters...

DON'T DO IT! TAKE A YEAR OUT, FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST AND ALL THAT IS HOLY!!!!

Ok, that may have been mainly me just venting, but my point still stands: Give yourselves a break before rushing into something like more academia.

You'll be glad for the break when ya get back. That's the impression I get from those who took a break before going into their MAs/PhDs etc.

I'd love to disagree, but I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

My advice is to go away. Far away! I'm planning on hitting Australia for a year when I graduate and I'd recommend it to anyone. Might be difficult to find a proper job when I get home but things usually work out in the end. The most important thing is to live life now and not tomorrow! It'll be too late to travel and see the world before you know it! There's a big world out there with amazing things to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Im a little bit dissapointed to be leaving college, I love it too much; Hopefully I wont have to, Im running for SU President. Id consider another year in college as a perk if I was elected SU President.

Failing that I'll prob head to australia. Im just not ready to go into the big bad world of investment banking, I might be a final year but Im only 19!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Thats one of tha main reasons Im gonna run for SU President.
    :confused: Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

:confused: Seriously?

yeah,he's been talking about it for the last two years.Well only for the last year seriously I think he was joking the year before that.

Kaptainredeye,word of advice dont put that on your manifesto...Im running cos I want to spend one more year in college:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I'm not running at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

seriously
    well not the main reason, just since the topic of this thread is what are we gonna do next year I thought id throw it out there.

Yup panda, its not the type of thing to use as a platform, though i think it would show the type of person I am - a happy go lucky scamp who definitly knows this college inside and out, and I love it and I never want to leave. Im also interested in making it a better place and am on the welfare commitee, my own cans campaign and other things but this isnt the thread (or even the time of year) for electioneering

its a better reason than Im using it as a launching plank into a career in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I want to do something next year but I don't know what.
    I'm pretty sure it won't be a Masters. I haven't done the J1/interrailing thing so I'd really like to do something.
    I might just do a summer somewhere like Thailand, then go into a graduate position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Pythia wrote:
    then go into a graduate position.

Over a desk? :rolleyes:

Grooveh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Gav has managed to unknowingly guilt me into making a rare appearance here :D

I did the masters after graduating and then went straight into the "real-world". I can't recommend a masters enough - made things so much easier for me getting a job! After five years in college I had planned to take a year out and go travelling, but got offered a job that involved 70% travel, so would have been mad not to take it! I'm getting paid to travel now though so yay :) Em...in conclusion, do what you want to do - no point going into an office job if you haven't settled down. But if you get a chance at a good job (and they do come more often then you'd think) then go for it! Right I'm off back to the real world - carry on here :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I figure I'll just work next year, but I can't imagine not going back and being educated again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Corelli

I went straight into college from secondary school. At 17years old, I reckon I was too young. I will be 20 when I finish, and I think it it too young for a masters. So hopefully I will be going ot China(PRC) to work for 2-3 years, perfect Mandarin and then return to college for a masters(maybe Ireland).

I would really reccomment going abroad for a landuage/study/work. A lot of us have a 3rd landuage so we have the option to leave. Not everyone does have that option so I think people should recnogise that and use it. While travelling for the sake of travelling is great and really broadens your ming & being, constructing a whole life in a new country is teh next leap.

Thats my two cent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I went straight into college from secondary school. At 17years old, I reckon I was too young. I will be 20 when I finish, and I think it it too young for a masters. So hopefully I will be going ot China(PRC) to work for 2-3 years, perfect Mandarin and then return to college for a masters(maybe Ireland).

I would really reccomment going abroad for a landuage/study/work. A lot of us have a 3rd landuage so we have the option to leave. Not everyone does have that option so I think people should recnogise that and use it. While travelling for the sake of travelling is great and really broadens your ming & being, constructing a whole life in a new country is teh next leap.

Thats my two cent...
    At the risk of sounding facetious. How can you recommend something you haven't done yet?

Advertisement