Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in final year thinking about next year?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Corelli

Sangre wrote:
    At the risk of sounding facetious. How can you recommend something you haven't done yet?

You're not being facetious. I can reccommend it because I did it this summer, for three straight months. I can recnogise that it's not for everyone; however if you try it and find out that you don't want to do it, you can lways come back. At least you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

Hey blondie what job do you do that involves 70% travel??

I took care of business and graduated in June. started working fulltime in September. Majority of my friends went straight into smurffit. Very glad I didn't follow the crowd. Work is tough but sampling the "real world" with the option of returning to do a masters (possiby abroad) that interests me is a more valuable experience imo.

just been invited down to Mexico by some friends for March. I have a good bit of money saved so I'm booking my flights, handing in my notice (giving plenty of time to hopefully leave on good terms with a decent reference), doing some kind of a TEFL course and making a long trip out of it before all my Spanish leaves me due to neglect. teaching English to pay the bills hopefully.

That's the plan anyway. It changes daily. but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

I would really reccomment going abroad for a landuage/study/work. A lot of us have a 3rd landuage so we have the option to leave. Not everyone does have that option so I think people should recnogise that and use it. While travelling for the sake of travelling is great and really broadens your ming & being, constructing a whole life in a new country is teh next leap.

I'm not being a smartass but you might want to work on perfecting English before you tackle Mandarin.

(although if you are dyslexic, of course I apologise and retract my above comment. Then again if you are not, then I stand by it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I want to do a masters, mainly cos i'll have an art history degree which really only qualifies me to feel cultured.

So hopefully the nice people in UCD's Art History department want to let me do a masters. The year is going very well so far so its all good.

Irish involves so little work i've almost forgotten i'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

DiscoHugh wrote:
    Hey blondie what job do you do that involves 70% travel??
    I work with Ericsson, travelling around the world (well mostly Africia/middle east) giving training courses about technologies we use, equipment we use ect. Its a cool job cos I'm always either teaching or learning :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Speaking as someone who is about to start back again in UCD in January I would suggest that you think long and hard about what kind of MA you want to do. An MA can be a totally different experience than an undergrad degree, and as far as I am concerned it served only as a transition until I could start a PhD. I am glad to be going back to some kind of regime after searching for jobs, and realising I am utterly incapable of gaining any interesting employment in the real world. :D

I just realised this also marks my return to your illustrious forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

scop wrote:
    Speaking as someone who is about to start back again in UCD in January I would suggest that you think long and hard about what kind of MA you want to do. An MA can be a totally different experience than an undergrad degree, and as far as I am concerned it served only as a transition until I could start a PhD. I am glad to be going back to some kind of regime after searching for jobs, and realising I am utterly incapable of gaining any interesting employment in the real world. :D

I just realised this also marks my return to your illustrious forums.
    are you doing a PhD? I'm putting mine on the back burner till I come up with an idea that I find interesting enough. in the meantime I'm going to learn spanish and do a H.Dip in something practical (don't ask me in what, you'd be horrified)

MAs are great though.

rain on wrote:
    are you doing a PhD? I'm putting mine on the back burner till I come up with an idea that I find interesting enough. in the meantime I'm going to learn spanish and do a H.Dip in something practical (don't ask me in what, you'd be horrified)

MAs are great though.

Yup, but not in English. I didn't mention it as I wasn't sure if I would get it. Kind of put it in on the off-chance. :D The topic always interested me though so I figured this was what I would end up choosing in the end anyway. Spanish is handy enough from what I remember in school. So what's the H.Dip in? Horrify me :p

ooer. what subject is it? was your other BA subject philosophy? ooer.

I am going to apply for a H.Dip in Business and Financial Information Systems. cos I am a sellout. I figure it's only nine months, it might help me get a decent job while I figure out a PhD topic. apparently arts graduates with a technical/practical qualification are having a grand ole time in the job market right now. and I'd have EIGHT letters after my name then.

rain on wrote:
    ooer. what subject is it? was your other BA subject philosophy? ooer.

I am going to apply for a H.Dip in Business and Financial Information Systems. cos I am a sellout. I figure it's only nine months, it might help me get a decent job while I figure out a PhD topic. apparently arts graduates with a technical/practical qualification are having a grand ole time in the job market right now. and I'd have EIGHT letters after my name then.

'Tis Philosophy indeed :D That doesn't sound bad at all if you can live with the betrayal you have visited upon your peers :p Eight letters sounds awesome though.

• Advertisement

jaykers. a PhD in philosophy sounds very impressive. what's your topic?

rain on wrote:
    jaykers. a PhD in philosophy sounds very impressive. what's your topic?

I'm still not entirely sure, but I know it involves Heidegger, ecology, and some eco-criticism [which is how I came about it via English]. The important thing is someone was foolish enough to think it sounded OK :D

Advertisement