Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What mobile?

• 06-11-2006 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hey,
    Hoping you guys can help me out with some advice. I used to always have the latest, snazzy, impressive phones. After switching networks and losing my phone with no upgrade available, I've been stuck with a piece of crap Samsung.
    Enough is enough. I'm looking for a new phone. Price is not really a problem but it must:
    a) look really good
    b) have a decent organiser, calendar, email client and sync up with a PC
    c) have excellent phone call quality
    d) support Bluetooth (preferably 2.0 with Sim Access Profile)
    e) have decent (but not necessarily outstanding) battery life

I have been considering the Nokia 8800 Sirocco because I think it's stunning looking but I am concerned with the pretty bog-standard phone underneath the gorgeous casing.
    I was pleasantly surprised with the Nokia 6280 - found it feature-packed for a series 40 phone - but think it's a little plasticy.
    The N90 looks good but it's a bit of a block.

I'd prefer Nokia but am open to suggestions. Is it just me or are there no phones that really capture the imagination anymore? My previous phones have included some real innovations in looks & features (for their time) and I just don't see great looking phones around anymore - the cramming of technology, such as 3G, have left them bloated and brick-like.

Appreciate any recommendations! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dubstub wrote:
    I have been considering the Nokia 8800 Sirocco because I think it's stunning looking but I am concerned with the pretty bog-standard phone underneath the gorgeous casing.
    first and foremost, don't buy that phone. its crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Are you retricted to a particular network or are you buying sim free?

You could look at some of the new E-series phones; E61 or E60 or maybe the N73

Otherwise maybe a blackberry or some other smartphone

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

richieg wrote:
    Are you retricted to a particular network or are you buying sim free?
    You could look at some of the new E-series phones; E61 or E60 or maybe the N73
    Otherwise maybe a blackberry or some other smartphone

Not really restricted to a network but am due an upgrade from Vodafone so it may be worthwhile taking it. Will probably be moving to the UK early next year so the hassle of getting it unlocked may not be worth the money saved.

I like the E60 - not the prettiest but I'm sure I could put the WLAN and VOIP to good use and it has the features I would use the most, I could easily live without a camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

My vote goes for the ever-elusive Nokia N73, its available in the UK on Vodafone and 3 (and probably others). 3 told me it would be out in September.. and now I have been told it will be out November/December and it was up on their website for a while only to disappear again. I suspect Vodafone will have it out as well. Symbian v9.1 S60, Bluetooth 2.0, USB2, IrDA, miniSD slot, 3.2Mpx Camera, Quadband GSM, FM radio (76MHz-90MHz/88MHz-108MHz) and other fun stuff. Personally I am itching to get my hands on one before the 22nd when I am going to the US.

My vote goes for the ever-elusive Nokia N73, its available in the UK on Vodafone and 3 (and probably others). 3 told me it would be out in September.. and now I have been told it will be out November/December and it was up on their website for a while only to disappear again.

You see; this is the problem. Went into Carphone warehouse and Vodafone today. Neither had the E60 nor knew when they would have it. Vodafone has the E61 but that's just a little too big for what I want.
    I'm really surprised about the lack of inspiration regarding handsets. All are pretty boring or ugly. The UK tends to get a much better selection and much quicker than we do as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭trant

Nokia 6233, or the 6234 on Vodafone. Seems to fit the bill, and battery life is great.

Anyone have any experience with the E70? How big is it to look at and in your hand? How does it fare against the E60 or E50?

Does it feel too big and heavy for an every day phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't get the 6233, battery life won't be great as others.

Try the Sony Ericsson W810i.

Advertisement