Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restricting internet access

Options
  • 06-11-2006 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

does anybody know how to restrict or stop completely, access to the internet on a pc which is on a network. I need to do this without affecting the email?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If this is related to your AH thread, talk to your companies IT dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

I am the IT department!! very small company, only just starting up, so have no clue how to do this, any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I'd say blocking port 80 or 8080 (whichever one is used for http), should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

What are you using for a firewall? It may have authentication/authorisation functions built in eg. a PIX can use a local database or a AAA server (Radius/TACACS+, Radius being the easiest since all you have to do is install IAS on Win2k3 to get it) it needs a bit of work in defining decent access-lists to decide what is and isn't authenticated/authorized but it's doable. Alternatively use a proxy server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Lynfo wrote:
    does anybody know how to restrict or stop completely, access to the internet on a pc which is on a network. I need to do this without affecting the email?
    If the e-mail server is on the LAN, then don't configure any Default Gateway on the workstations. They'll be able to talk to any machine that is on the LAN, but they won't be able to go outside the LAN (as you need to go through the Default Gateway to do that).

• Advertisement
Advertisement